1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Paleo thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CXbby, Apr 26, 2013.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Ideas for foods to eat and recipes.

Obviously I could just look it up online, but would like your suggestions on what is good. I am on my 4th week so far, and would like some more variety. Some of my personal favorites so far:

Pork liver with bacon and onions, topped on a steak.

Homemade bone marrow broth. It doesn't taste like much but great to cook kale/spinach and other vegetables with.

Bacon grease. Been saving it and cooking everything with it. Pan fried chicken breast with bacon grease.

Bacon. The uncured, no preservatives, no nitrates kind. If I am not eating grains/starches/sugars anymore, I'm sure as hell going to use bacon on everything.

Eating a lot of beets and sweet potatoes to substitute starches. Cook the beet leaves like spinach, and oven roast the beets.

Pan fried turkey meat balls. In bacon grease.

I need some more suggestions for vegetables. I've been on a rotation of spinach, kale, beet leaves, red cabbage. Kind of getting tired of it.

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

Also, I'd like some suggestion on foods to eat while on the paleo diet to GAIN weight. Besides bacon.

Didn't get on the diet to lose weight. Just for the health benefits. Without the starches I do feel hungry a little more often. And I would like to avoid losing mass/my 8 pack.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

marksdailyapple.com

4. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Get some grass fed beef from us wellness meats online, also I would recommend to add grassfed butter to your meals. The Kerrygold brand is the best I've found.

On Paleo, you should be getting about 70% of your calories from fats. The fat will melt off you if you follow that without losing any muscle.

5. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Make sure you're getting the natural bacon and not the bacon filled with nitrates an preservatives. That really isn't Paleo.

6. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Yes, it's a good site.

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Eggs. Lots of eggs.

Srambled, sunny-side up, omelettes

9. PointForward

PointForward Member

please be mindful of your health and avoid this incredibly unhealthy fad diet. The logic behind this diet is severely flawed and the premise it is entirely based upon has been proven to be inaccurate.

A good diet is more of a series of life style changes than a strict regimen you follow. Make an effort to get several servings of vegetables and fruits every day, reduce sugar and salt intake, and eat sufficient amounts of protein from lean meats, chicken, and fish. It's really simple and easy to follow and you'll feel great. If you're looking to lose weight, simply reduce the size of each meal (smaller, more frequent meals) and add ANY type of physical activity. If you're looking to gain weight, increase your intake and combine with a weight training regimen. No need for going "paleo" and eating like a theoretical cave man (I say theoretical because that's not what cavemen actually ate, it's entirely a figment of that charlatan's imagination). :(

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It sounds like a Neanderthal diet. They had like 5000 calories a day and 80%+ of those calories were meat.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

All depends on what kind of Paleo you're going for:

"Philosophy" Paleo - eat only what people did prior to farming/agriculture, and in the same way.

"Dieters" Paleo - similar to above, but more restrictions on content (lean meats, no bacon) and more leeway on preparation.

"Ketogenic" Paleo - almost Atkins. No carb, high fat.

I did the 30 day challenge last summer, and have to admit it does some very good things. It's fairly flawed, though. A lot of the basic principles are in other diets, in particular: ditch starch and sugar. You flip your metabolism from being insulin-dominant to glucagon-dominant and are 100x better for it.

IMO, the pro-bacon and pro-eggs idea isn't a healthy move; however, the Ketogenic folks are all about the no-carb, high fat approach. I personally think eating turkey like everyday is thanksgiving is the way to go, but that's just me.

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Please elaborate.

Eating meat, vegetables, fruits and nuts while cutting out processed foods, sugars, grains etc is incredibly unhealthy? How in the world did we survive for millions of years without cheese burgers and twinkies?

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I just cut out processed foods. Any fruit, veggies, or meats are in. Also, just about any fermented food is in.

14. emjohn

I'm pretty sure it was more in response to "Bacon! Bacon Everything!"

I definitely have a much increased appreciation for macro-biotic eating.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Do you know what is the Paleo diet? Because it seems like you are describing the Paleo diet.

#15 CXbby, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  16. CXbby

CXbby Member

That was probably an exaggeration. I do substitute bacon grease for olive oil when I have some, though. Seem to be a waste just to dump it away.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lol..

18. emjohn

It is delicious, I won't lie.

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Good timing, I just picked up the Practical Paleo book the other day. Only cooked one thing out of it so far.

I'm not sure how this could be considered a "fad diet" from what I know of it so far. It's basically just cutting out processed foods and breads. How could that be considered a bad thing?

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

What was it?

Share some of your favorites when you've tried more of them.