1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Other Affirmative Action

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimbaud, Oct 14, 2003.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd want to see the evidence before I even believe this to be true. I've been hearing for years how curricula are built around the mindset of boys and that girls are at a disadvantage in the classroom and, moreover, that this is why math and the hard sciences are dominated by males, and now someone's going to tell me that, on merit, 80% of students would be female?

2. HootOwl

HootOwl Contributing Member

What do you consider the "natural role" of men? How is it being surpressed?

What conflicting messages to boys get, specifically? And if boys get conflicting messages, do girls as well?

I'm not trying to be a smartass by the way, I just want to understand more specifically what you are saying before I respond.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This point should be emphasized.

4. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would you tell us where you found this article? It seems it would be worth reading and I don't mind looking for it offline.

5. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

It's not that new MAcB....;)

6. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

You must be from the South.

7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Maybe it is bacause most Universities want to have more than just journalism, language (English and foreign languages), education, and art majors. ;)

8. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JV,

The 80% is based on a study I performed myself based upon my own wild conjecture. Re-reading it, I realize I made it seem as if it is coming from the article. Sorry, it did not, I was just being sassy. The article itself just mentioned that the ratio would be much more heavily weighted towards women...and I know most universities are already over 50% female, anyway. I think my undergrad was 60-40. Again, sorry for the lack of clarity.

JeffB,

Sorry, should have mentioned that. The most recent Atlantic Monthly has a whole section on colleges and this was one of the articles.

Timing and pgab,

I have heard that before but don't know if I buy it. How, exactly have schools gone away from competition? There are still tests and the like that individuals take and then get graded on, resulting in competition amongst peers, class rankings, SAT tests, spelling bees, UILs, competetive awards/membership, etc.. Group projects exist, but it is not as if they are a large part of the curriculum.

bama,

Are you sure you want to stick to your "no gender roles" argument? Again, what about studies such as what I have suggested about instilled values placed upon the genders - athletics vs academics. I do think that has merit because I can certainly remember my HS experience and how it was much more acceptable for "cool" girls to be smart and make good grades than the guys. At my school, guys were definitely judged by athletics - most specifically basketball. I am not saying there is a right or wrong answer, I just don't understand/see your angle.

Advertising - sure, mostly aimed towards women and even more so, mostly aimed towrds at-home moms. The reason why is they are home more and do most of the shopping in general, not because our society is feminine. Just look at the female glass ceiling in this country - business, politics, etc.. Still an "old boys network" when you get up high. Consider, also, that these boys who are being outperformed are growing up and getting better jobs and more money, in general, than the girls who grow up performing better in school. That is a fact.

Max,

I am here fo your amusement. I was surprised it took that long for someone to post in response to those two sentences.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Seems to me, males in our culture do receive a strong message, and it's not a castrating one, directly. On the surface, it is the opposite. I got a letter in the mail that set it out. Here it is:

"Dear American Male:
    You hereby are fully authorized to indulge your basest instincts. Please accept our reduced introductory rates to Maxim and Sports Illustrated. Please do not read books, but rather, watch hours of sports programming and play video games as much as possible. Please use words with as few syllables as possible and call other males something that includes the word 'dog.'

In our new policy, certain attitudes, once on the verge of being forbidden, are now warmly encouraged.
    1) Women really are objects after all. Rude comments, use of the word 'b****,' use of the word 'ho,' and occasional unwelcome groping are now okay. You are just being a man, after all.
    2) Do no think deeply about topics. You are a man, and testosterone is good. When engaging in debate, please raise your tone of voice, lower your vocabulary, and label your discussion partners with simplifications and insults.
    3) Work as little as possible. Staying on the couch with a video game or a remote is okay. You are celebrating manhood.

Thank you for helping us help you.
    Sincerely,
    Culture"

Did the rest of you receive this letter? I think this is part of the woman plot to render us completely useless. It is a brilliant plot really, Mrs. JB... or should I say, supreme commander?

10. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Great post, B-Bob. I was going to chime in with something similar but you've hit the nail on the head.

Oh well, back to NBA Street... ;)

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

:D Yup. And I'm (seriously) going to make sure to get out of the lab in time to see the opening pitch of game 7, sox-yankees. Whoop Whoop! Duh... :D

12. Timing

Timing Member

Getting back to this, there isn't a whole lot of info out on this because it's just not perceived as a problem by I'm sure but here are some excerpts from an article on the topic.
    http://www.businessweek.com:/print/magazine/content/03_21/b3834001_mz001.htm?mz

"It's not just that boys are falling behind girls," says William S. Pollock, author of Real Boys: Rescuing Our Sons from the Myths of Boyhood and a professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. "It's that boys themselves are falling behind their own functioning and doing worse than they did before."

It may still be a man's world. But it is no longer, in any way, a boy's. From his first days in school, an average boy is already developmentally two years behind the girls in reading and writing. Yet he's often expected to learn the same things in the same way in the same amount of time. While every nerve in his body tells him to run, he has to sit still and listen for almost eight hours a day. Biologically, he needs about four recesses a day, but he's lucky if he gets one, since some lawsuit-leery schools have banned them altogether. Hug a girl, and he could be labeled a "toucher" and swiftly suspended -- a result of what some say is an increasingly anti-boy culture that pathologizes their behavior.

If he falls behind, he's apt to be shipped off to special ed, where he'll find that more than 70% of his classmates are also boys. Squirm, clown, or interrupt, and he is four times as likely to be diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. That often leads to being forced to take Ritalin or risk being expelled, sent to special ed, or having parents accused of negligence. One study of public schools in Fairfax County, Va., found that more than 20% of upper-middle-class white boys were taking Ritalin-like drugs by fifth grade.

Once a boy makes it to freshman year of high school, he's at greater risk of falling even further behind in grades, extracurricular activities, and advanced placement. Not even science and math remain his bastions. And while the girls are busy working on sweeping the honor roll at graduation, a boy is more likely to be bulking up in the weight room to enhance his steroid-fed Adonis complex, playing Grand Theft Auto: Vice City on his PlayStation2, or downloading rapper 50 Cent on his iPod. All the while, he's 30% more likely to drop out, 85% more likely to commit murder, and four to six times more likely to kill himself, with boy suicides tripling since 1970. "We get a bad rap," says Steven Covington, a sophomore at Ottumwa High School in Ottumwa, Iowa. "Society says we can't be trusted."

----------------

Before educators, corporations, and policymakers can narrow the new gender gap, they will have to understand its myriad causes. Everything from absentee parenting to the lack of male teachers to corporate takeovers of lunch rooms with sugar-and-fat-filled food, which can make kids hyperactive and distractable, plays a role. So can TV violence, which hundreds of studies -- including recent ones by Stanford University and the University of Michigan -- have linked to aggressive behavior in kids. Some believe boys are responding to cultural signals -- downsized dads cast adrift in the New Economy, a dumb-and-dumber dude culture that demeans academic achievement, and the glamorization of all things gangster that makes school seem so uncool. What can compare with the allure of a gun-wielding, model-dating hip hopper? Boys, who mature more slowly than girls, are also often less able to delay gratification or take a long-range view.

Schools have inadvertently played a big role, too, losing sight of boys -- taking for granted that they were doing well, even though data began to show the opposite. Some educators believed it was a blip that would change or feared takebacks on girls' gains. Others were just in denial. Indeed, many administrators saw boys, rather than the way schools were treating them, as the problem.

Thirty years ago, educational experts launched what's known as the "Girl Project." The movement's noble objective was to help girls wipe out their weaknesses in math and science, build self-esteem, and give them the undisputed message: The opportunities are yours; take them. Schools focused on making the classroom more girl-friendly by including teaching styles that catered to them. Girls were also powerfully influenced by the women's movement, as well as by Title IX and the Gender & Equity Act, all of which created a legal environment in which discrimination against girls -- from classrooms to the sports field -- carried heavy penalties. Once the chains were off, girls soared.

Yet even as boys' educational development was flat-lining in the 1990s -- with boys dropping out in greater numbers and failing to bridge the gap in reading and writing -- the spotlight remained firmly fixed on girls. Part of the reason was that the issue had become politically charged and girls had powerful advocates. The American Association of University Women, for example, published research cementing into pedagogy the idea that girls had deep problems with self-esteem in school as a result of teachers' patterns, which included calling on girls less and lavishing attention on boys. Newspapers and TV newsmagazines lapped up the news, decrying a new confidence crisis among American girls. Universities and research centers sponsored scores of teacher symposiums centered on girls. "All the focus was on girls, all the grant monies, all the university programs -- to get girls interested in science and math," says Steve Hanson, principal of Ottumwa High School in Iowa. "There wasn't a similar thing for reading and writing for boys."

Some boy champions go so far as to contend that schools have become boy-bashing laboratories. Christina Hoff Sommers, author of The War Against Boys, says the AAUW report, coupled with zero-tolerance sexual harassment laws, have hijacked schools by overly feminizing classrooms and attempting to engineer androgyny.

The "earliness" push, in which schools are pressured to show kids achieving the same standards by the same age or risk losing funding, is also far more damaging to boys, according to Lilian G. Katz, co-director of ERIC Clearinghouse on Elementary and Early Childhood Education. Even the nerves on boys' fingers develop later than girls', making it difficult to hold a pencil and push out perfect cursive. These developmental differences often unfairly sideline boys as slow or dumb, planting a distaste for school as early as the first grade.

Instead of catering to boys' learning styles, Pollock and others argue, many schools are force-fitting them into an unnatural mold. The reigning sit-still-and-listen paradigm isn't ideal for either sex. But it's one girls often tolerate better than boys. Girls have more intricate sensory capacities and biosocial aptitudes to decipher exactly what the teacher wants, whereas boys tend to be more anti-authoritarian, competitive, and risk-taking. They often don't bother with such details as writing their names in the exact place instructed by the teacher.

Experts say educators also haven't done nearly enough to keep up with the recent findings in brain research about developmental differences. "Ninety-nine-point-nine percent of teachers are not trained in this," says Michael Gurian, author of Boys and Girls Learn Differently. "They were taught 20 years ago that gender is just a social function."

In fact, brain research over the past decade has revealed how differently boys' and girls' brains can function. Early on, boys are usually superior spatial thinkers and possess the ability to see things in three dimensions. They are often drawn to play that involves intense movement and an element of make-believe violence. Instead of straitjacketing boys by attempting to restructure this behavior out of them, it would be better to teach them how to harness this energy effectively and healthily, Pollock says.

As it stands, the result is that too many boys are diagnosed with attention-deficit disorder or its companion, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. The U.S. -- mostly its boys -- now consumes 80% of the world's supply of methylphenidate (the generic name for Ritalin). That use has increased 500% over the past decade, leading some to call it the new K-12 management tool. There are school districts where 20% to 25% of the boys are on the drug, says Paul R. Wolpe, a psychiatry professor at the University of Pennsylvania and the senior fellow at the school's Center for Bioethics: "Ritalin is a response to an artificial social context that we've created for children."

Instead of recommending medication -- something four states have recently banned school administrators from doing -- experts say educators should focus on helping boys feel less like misfits. Experts are designing new developmentally appropriate, child-initiated learning that concentrates on problem-solving, not just test-taking. This approach benefits both sexes but especially boys, given that they tend to learn best through action, not just talk. Activities are geared toward the child's interest level and temperament. Boys, for example, can learn math through counting pinecones, biology through mucking around in a pond. They can read Harry Potter instead of Little House on the Prairie, and write about aliens attacking a hospital rather than about how to care for people in the hospital. If they get antsy, they can leave a teacher's lecture and go to an activity center replete with computers and manipulable objects that support the lesson plan.

Paying attention to boys' emotional lives also delivers dividends. Over the course of her longitudinal research project in Washington (D.C.) schools, University of Northern Florida researcher Rebecca Marcon found that boys who attend kindergartens that focus on social and emotional skills -- as opposed to only academic learning -- perform better, across the board, by the time they reach junior high.

Indeed, brain research shows that boys are actually more empathic, expressive, and emotive at birth than girls. But Pollock says the boy code, which bathes them in a culture of stoicism and reticence, often socializes those aptitudes out of them by the second grade. "We now have executives paying $10,000 a week to learn emotional intelligence," says Pollock. "These are actually the skills boys are born with."