1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official Wii Launch Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Nov 13, 2006.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

my suggestion: show up 1 hour early, I guarantee you will get one.

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

There's a Toys 'R Us near me that's getting 89 units, but I need to call and find out if they're doing a midnight opening. I think my chances of getting one if I go around 10pm (if they are indeed having a midnight opening) are pretty good. What do you guys think?

3. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

I'll get my Wii when Metroid Prime 3 comes out.

...anyone know when MP3 comes out by any chance? :D

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

2007. Hard to tell when though. They probably won't release Mario Galaxies, Smash Brothers, or Metroid in the same quarter, so depending on the order of release, Metroid could be as late as Q3 next year.

5. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I noticed it was the online midnight sale in the entire city. WTF is that?

6. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

So, I'm in NYC today, and I'm walking on 48th St., when I happen upon a store called "Nintendo World". Sure enough, they have 3 Wiis inside for the general public to play with (on nice, big TVs, too). I tried out the console with Wii Sports (tennis), and I'm happy to report that the experience was simply awesome. (I was playing while in my suit, too.) I accidentally smacked a wall with the Wiimote and popped off the battery cover while doing a "backhand", but the sucker kept on ticking. (The game paused itself when the cover came off, but I'm not sure if that was intentional or not.) Guess I'll need to leave myself a large enough space at home to play when I scoop my Wii up this weekend or next week...

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

A guy at EB Games in First Colony Mall told me that a Toys R Us in Houston (wasn't sure which one) was getting a huge shipment of them with not a lot of preorders.

Anyways...tried out the Wii at EB Games and was pretty convinced by it. I was set on buying a PS3 (much later obviously) but the Wii at $250 with the new controller is very tempting right now.

Played Excite Truck, you turn the remote sideways and turn it like a steering wheel. It was kind of hard to get use to it at first but it worked almost perfectly IMO, this thing has potential, that's for sure.

8. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Wii's will be plentiful, don't let Sony/Microsoft's previous blunders scare you :p

Targets around town are receiving 30-60
    Toys R Us I think are getting like 40-60.
    Best Buys are probably getting 80ish each.

9. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Gamespot reviews Zelda TP:
    http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/thelegendofzelda/review.html
    The GS score may seem a little low, but Zelda is sitting at a 98 at Metacritic right now (w/o this score). Some reviews still need to be done though (IGN for example).

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

before I say anything, I must say that...it takes alot to make me angry, it really does. I'm a really nice guy...with that said...I...am...PISSED.

my component cables were sent 2 day air, I was supposed to have it today, so I call at 6 asking where my cables are...they say they're on the way, 30 minutes later I get notice that my package is damaged.

what the hell? how do you damage cables? what kind of inept f*cking uncaged monkey do you have to be to damage cables? then you can't get in contact with ups themselves at all, it would have been nice if I would have at least been able to SEE the package myself to determine if there was something wrong or not.

ups claims they have no way of contacting the office it was delivered from, I'm gonna call bs on that. how the hell do YOU get in contact with them if you can't call them?

the worst part about all of this is, not that I won't have them for launch but that they're backordered and that package is going to get returned to nintendo which means I won't be seeing my cables for at least a month. I just want 5 minutes alone with the guy who was handling my route so I can shove my size 13s up his *ss. god I'm so freaking mad.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

gamespot is garbage. you give super monkeyball a 8.3 yet zelda is not even deserving of 9.0 while by all other accounts the game might be the best in the series? get out of here.

12. El Toro

El Toro Contributing Member

anyone doing a roll call (yeah, i know it sounds geeky) for tomorrow's midnight run for the Wii? I'll be at the Toys R Us on Westheimer just before the release hoping to get the system plus Zelda.

sux about the damaged cables, seclusion. maybe the stores will have a few in stock.

13. RC Cola

I've come to the conclusions that:
    IGN reviews are garbage
    1UP reviews are garbage
    Gamespot reviews are garbage
    Eurogamer reviews are garbage
    Game Informer reviews are garbage
    Famitsu reviews are garbage
    etc.

That's why I tend to check out the Metacritic reviews for games (both for the scores and the actual content of the reviews). Each of these sites gets at least one review "wrong," but they won't all do that.

I still rate Gamespot as the best place for reviews though. If nothing else, I like the amount of detail they put in their reviews, even if I disagree with their stance on the game.

14. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Are all TRU having a midnight launch for the Wii? My local TRU (the one I preordered from) phone doesn't work. I've called over twenty times and the automated answering machine picked up once a couple of weeks ago.

#114 chow_yun_fat, Nov 17, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  15. El Toro

El Toro Contributing Member

according to the wii finder link posted in this thread the only Toys R Us doing a midnight release is on 6145 Westheimer. i tried calling them to confirm but hung up after being on hold for a while.

16. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

thanks...I don't think they will though, last I heard the first time they will be in stores is the 15th of december or something crazy.

17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I agree on your gamespot assessment, actually I agree with all of it. I just think it's r****ded that there is always one person who wants to downplay a game just so he isn't going with the crowd on a review...perfect example is the whole gamespy halo thing, now this sh*t.

they know it's a sick game, they know it's one of the best they ever played but instead they lowball it. it's just dumb.

18. RC Cola

IGN reviews Madden:
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/746/746697p1.html

And for kicks, their Zelda review:
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/746/746691p1.html

19. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

the gamespot score and the ign score is on two different spectrums

ocarina's scores were pretty consistent

20. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Got my call from the local Gamestop (I preordered before I knew they were Mavs fans :) ). I 'll be picking mine up tomorrow at Midnight. I probably won't get to play it until next week, since it is a Christmas gift for my son and I won't be able to play it in private until then.