1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official Wii Launch Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Nov 13, 2006.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

for those who are worried about getting wii component cables in time for launch night on saturday like me, there is hope! [as far as I know, they may or may NOT be available in stores...until mid december]

wii component cables via nintendo store

wii component cable $29.95

ground shipping $5
    3-5 day shipping $7
    2 day $13

I ordered mine a few minutes ago and I ordered the 3-5 day...since I should definitely get them by saturday.

#61 seclusion, Nov 15, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  2. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

Just to let you know, there's a good possibility that you won't get them Saturday if you used 3-5 day shipping. First, it's 3-5 business days, so if they ship TODAY, which may or may not happen, the earliest you'd get them would be 3 business days - Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. So that would be ok. But if it's any longer than that, it'll be Monday at the earliest, since Sat/Sun are not business days. So again, if they ship today, 3 business days = Friday, 4 business days = Monday, 5 business days= Tuesday. Besides, UPS doesn't do Saturday delivery with the 3-5 day shipping anyway.

So it's either Friday or next week. And with the way Nintendo has been handling the component cable fiasco so far, I wouldn't bet too much on them suddenly getting their act together and shipping the orders on the same day.

Personally, I'll be out of town until Monday anyway, so I didn't care. But the real kicker is that on my order status page on the nintendo store, it says "Backordered" for the status. People have been saying that orders from today weren't shipping until the 25th, since when they started taking phone orders last night, they instantly got slammed so hard that it basically broke their ordering system (something like 5000 orders just yesterday evening, with people having to hold for 30 minutes just to get a rep). Stupid Nintendo really dropped the ball on this one- they totally underestimated demand for these. Maybe this will open their eyes, but I doubt it.

anyway, good luck dude.

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm actually aware of all of that. I just don't imagine it'll take that long, usually shipping to houston takes about 3 days no matter where the place is located via priority...and if it's 3-5 it's prolly being sent via usps...so they DO ship on saturdays.

if what you say about the backordering is true though I'm screwed and I'd rather just buy it in stores

4. Jebus

you should check again. nintendo only offers UPS shipping. The choices are UPS ground, UPS 3-5 day ("UPS blue"), and UPS overnight ("UPS red").

go check your order status. I got the 3-5 day shipping, it says "UPSBLUE". and it says backordered. I was thinking of calling to see what the story is, but I'm sure their phone lines are probably melting down.

hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

you're right.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I called them and sat on the line for awhile and apparently even though it says it's backordered there's a good shot it isn't because they're going between several warehouses -- essentially alot of bs. we'll see...nintendo pulled a sony on this one. I can't imagine how they wouldn't think...oh you mean people might actually WANT a significant upgrade in graphics on a system that is already inferior to current systems? GEE!

what the hell do I have a hdtv for again? cus apparently it's not to view things in progressive scan.

7. Jebus

I've been reading that as well- multiple people are reporting that nintendo reps tell them that even though the site says backordered, they're shipping today. We'll see, I guess. good luck.

And hey, at least having an HDTV prevents tinman from calling you a cheapskate.

EDIT: I checked my order status again, and it has changed from "backorder" to "preparing order". So hopefully they'll be shipping today.

#67 Jebus, Nov 15, 2006
  8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

sweet, mine too.

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm obsessed and I keep refreshing the ups page, I now have a tracking number so I'll assume it shipped today. I can't currently track it on ups' site, which just tells me it isn't in their system yet. hope it gets to my place by friday...or I'll cry.

10. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

I got my tracking number, nothing on UPS's site though, we'll see tomorrow.

11. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Apparently a bunch of Wii games have already hit stores if you anybody cares to go pick them up. Not necessarily in the Houston area, but I've seen/heard instances of Red Steel, Monkey Ball, Avatar, Madden, Spongebob, Rayman, Trauma Center, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and Excite Truck. Almost all the more acclaimed titles, minus Zelda.

12. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

i want my Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

oddly enough even though I ordered 3-5 day shipping, my ups tracking numbers came in and mine not only shipped but it's on 2day air, so I will have it in time for saturday, woo.

14. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I asked this in the PS3 thread, so I might as well ask it here too...

So for those of you planning on getting a Wii, what games are you planning on getting? I imagine most (if not all) of you will be getting Zelda. I guess if Wii Sports is fun enough, that and Zelda might be good enough for a while. Just curious to see what games on the Wii seem most attractive to would-be Wii owners.

15. Jebus

First, I should say that I'll probably pick up a 360 when there's a price drop (and when I'm sure they're past the manufacturing issues). Maybe in time for BioShock. Almost certainly in time for the recently announced Halo 3 public beta. So the Wii is not going to be my only system this generation.

That said, for the launch of Wii, I preordered Zelda, Super Monkey Ball, Trauma Center, and Red Steel.

I may return Red Steel before I open it if the reviews are terrible. I also considered Excite Truck, Call of Duty, and Rayman.

I figured Excite Truck was a prime candidate for an early price drop (plus I think between Wii Sports and the Monkey Ball minigames, I'll have the "shallow but fun" niche pretty well filled).

I feel like Rayman is sort of like Monkey Ball minus the main game (since it's just a minigame collection), and I may still get CoD if Red Steel doesn't work out.

Elebits could be cool, but it really reminds me of Electroplankton in that it really seems like a tech demo. It could be interesting though. It seems like the closest thing to a real 1:1 interaction with a game through the remote (as opposed to a more "gesture-based" type of contol).

I feel like FPS will eventually be really good on the Wii, but I'm not sure the launch games will get it exactly right. Red Steel is intriguing because of the gun/sword combo though. Hopefully the controls won't totally suck in that game.

Plus I think the new Mario game will be fantastic, and I bet the new Metroid will be really good as well.

16. Jebus

nice!

I checked mine, and the UPS page is updated to say the delivery date is Friday for me as well. So I'll have the cables 3 days before I can even play the system.

17. El Toro

El Toro Contributing Member

Is this the first time for Nintendo that a Mario title is not available for launch on a new system? That being said, I wonder how far into 2007 they plan to ship Super Mario Galaxies...

18. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I'm definitely getting Zelda (as you predicted), and I also have particular interest in either COD3 or Red Steel. I won't be getting both.

They both have their strengths, it seems, but the control has been questioned in both cases and that's what gives me pause. I know that the storyline, gameplay, and atmosphere will be great in COD3, but the graphics are apparently sickeningly bad in some ways. I'd have to see it in person before deciding whether or not that would ruin the game for me. The guys at IGN also said they had problems with some of the "battle controls" like fighting hand to hand with the enemy for a gun. Other reviews have not mentioned this, however, so maybe they just suck at it...? If more reviews roll in and COD3's controls and graphics aren't deal-breakers, I'll probably pick that up.

As for Red Steel, I don't think I'd be so interested in it if it weren't the very first Wii game I ever saw. It looked so good when it first leaked to the public, and although it didn't look as good as the target renders at first, it does seem to have gotten very close. So visuals really aren't a concern at this point...but control definitely is. Bozon, pretty much the #2 guy over at IGN Wii says that he can't stand the controls (sloooow turning). He even joked yesterday when he said in a chat "Matt and I pretty much agree on most reviews...it's not like I'm saying that Red Steel deserves a 4.0 and Matt wants to give it a 7.0'". I don't know if there's anything to read into that or not, but he just really doesn't seem to like it at all. He admits though that he hasn't had THAT much time with it, so maybe it just takes getting used to. If the controls are passable and the game is at least 20 hours long, I would pick it up for sure.

If neither game suffers from the flaws that I'm worried about, then I thiiiink I'll lean toward Red Steel just because it's a completely new franchise.

Games that I might rent are as follows:

Trauma Center
    Excite Truck
    Madden
    Need for Speed Carbon

19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

nah...gamecube had luigi's mansion..trash

anyway I preordered zelda...initially I was going to get red steel when it was first announced, now gradually I've wanted it less and less I worry that it will not be very good. I'm a huge fps guy...but I don't want garbage otherwise I'd get cod3.

with that said I'm very high on rayman, I've never been interested in rayman before but the game looks (graphically) great and the gameplay itself looks fun as well. hopefully it gets some good reviews if it's above 90avg I'll definitely get it...any lower and I'll prolly hold out with zelda / wii sports.

20. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

El Toro: Gamecube didn't get Super Mario Sunshine until a year or 18 months after launch. DS launched with a port of a Mario game, Wii won't have Mario until Mario Galaxy comes out in mid/late 07.

As for the games I want. Zelda #1, I don't think I'm getting anything else right now, as Zelda appears to be a loooooooooong game, and I still have Guitar Hero 2, Elite Beat Agents, and Madden/NBA 2k7 to keep me busy.

Word of advice, if you see Zelda on store shelves before 11/19, BUY IT. EVERYONE wants Zelda, I am going to go out on a limb and say that about 70% of Wii owners will be buying Zelda.

#80 Miguel, Nov 15, 2006