1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official unofficial Josh Smith Dwight Howard campaign thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, May 6, 2013.

1. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Sucky Free Throws, takes ill adviced shots, locker room problem...

I would still take em tho ahahahahahaha

2. the shark

the shark Member

Signing Josh Smith would be a HUGE mistake!!!

Good player but certainly not worth what he'll want to sign.

Watched him quite a bit this season, and from what I see, his shot selection is one of THE worst I've ever seen over the past 40 yrs.

Free throws this yr? .51 percent!!!!!

Three pt percentage this yr? .30 percent

On top of this he turned the ball over 3 times a gm.

We can do better than Josh Smith.

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Huh? Josh Smith has a good post game, his issue is lack of range, and especially those jacked up mid range jumpers.

4. Sanity2disChaos

This sounds good and is an option for the Rockets.....but there are only 3 realistic ones.

1) Which this thread points to is, Dwight and Smith joining together in Htown.I think if you can get J.Smith on board FIRST then Howard will end up following. Best friends can have an influence on each other past what we think and the money everyone is bringing up that Howard will loose.Smith has already said he likes Houston and wouldnt mind playing for us. All is left is to put that bug in his ole pal Howards ear.

2)A one year rental of Gasol is a strong possibility also. This move makes the most sense if you want to wait for next years crop of FA. I think it propels us out of the 1rst round of the playoffs and keeps us competitive until that offseason where we can get a better FA in 2014.I dont like Gasol but he still has a game that translates in the NBA and he is worth a look in our system.

3)I think this is a sure safe move and most posters dont think so but I believe Milsap is a perfect fit here in Htown. He is a smaller version of LMA with a similar game. He wont break the bank and you could choose to keep Asik and improve the bench or still go after Howard to form a Milsap/Howard duo.

I like option 3.........

5. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Josh Smith is good....but IMO not top 10 PF

Serge Ibaka
    Pau Gasol
    Zach Randolph
    Chris Bosh
    Kevin Garnett
    Kevin Love
    LaMarcus Aldridge
    Tim Duncan
    Blake Griffin
    Dirk Nowitzki

Then you have a few that arguably could be above him as well:
    David Lee, Paul Milsap, DeMarcus Cousins, Jeff Green.

I understand your point, but I just think you're being a little over-zealous...

I also think the best movement forward (although definitely a pipe dream) would be CP3 and Dwight. At that point all we would need is a PF who could make shots from outside the painted area....then we would have the best 1,2, and 5 in the nba...can't beat that.

6. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

First it is possible, and it has been explained numerous times...in many different threads. Morey has set this team up beautifully to GO AFTER two more stars. We can add Howard to the max salary by simply dropping all our non guaranteed contracts and clearing out one player. Say royce white where we pay a team 3 mil to take his salary and/or offer 2nd round pick to take a risk on a top talent. We could also trade T-rob for anyhting to get cap space ( I actually believe his contract was why we did that trade)

Then at that point we are no longer under the cap but you can still receive players in SNT as long as you are no more than 4 mil over the cap. So to get the second player we can either work a sign and trade where we send out Asik and Lin (salaries no longer have to be exact but within a certain %) for PAUL or another star. Which should work because thats better then receiving nothing...if they still refuse to cooperate (which they wouldn't) We can trade Trob, Asik, Lin as individuals to cap space teams for future picks (even if its just second rounders) This is just a couple of many different scenarios that can be used to get 2 more max guys. If CP3 says I am going to houston either do SNT or they clear space to sign me outright...they would do the SNT (just like cleveland and toronto did with miami).

Then we can fill the roster with the many different exceptions for over the cap players. (many vets would sign on the cheap for championship) We also have the rights to players overseas we could bring over even with being over the cap.

This would be complicated but very possible (miami had to do something similar in dealing Beasley and then giving their own first rounder for OKC to take cook)

This hurts my head...I explained why its NOT impossible above. Every contract on this team is only on this team because morey can move it or decline the option. (the only bad contract is whites at 1.7) Which we could move in the above proposed scenario, which would hurt but be worth it to get 2 max stars.

Any team would take a flyer on T-rob as part of a SNT or for a late first rounder in this weak draft or at worst a second rounder. If you don't believe that you do not pay attention to basketball enough. (several GMs were quoted saying Kings were dumb for giving up so early and they could have got more then what they did for him from other teams)

If we do go the Smith/Howard combo, which I feel, is the most likely. We would sign Howard outright, after making small salary cut move. (ie paying someone to take white or even trading Dmo or another player)

Then we would trade Asik and T rob to Atlanta for SNT for Smith. The salaries are perfect match (I think thats why morey acquired TROB) Also, perfect for them to get asik to move Hortford to PF. Also, gives them a high potential prospect in Robinson to try and develop moving forward. thats 12 mil outgoing and we can receive back up to 5 mil plus in salary, for this situation. So if we had to we could sign and trade for smith @ 17 mil

Then as being over the cap we can still had several players that we have rights to overseas such as furkan aldemir. We would also have several exceptions to use to add minimal salary players in free agency such as the full MLE we could bring up to sign 2 or 3 players. LLE etc..

1 person likes this.
  7. ball4life66

ball4life66 Member

I don't think that's possible because the Hawks are also trying to land Howard as well. They would obviously wait to see if they can sign Howard and Paul before they S & T Josh Smith.

8. ball4life66

ball4life66 Member

Ibaka and Gasol are definitely not better than Smith and Nowitizki, Duncan, Garnett are what 50 years old?

9. megastahr

Gasol is better just not better last year. ( maybe never again)...but history wise.

Ibaka...I dunno... close one I think but probably advantage smith.

And Garnett and Duncan are too old to be considered better...anyone would choose smith over them looking forward.

10. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Wow! Ibaka and Gasol not better than Smith?!? This is extremely comical. And yes Dirk, Timmy, and KG are 50 years old, yet they were still more productive than Josh Smith.....that's the point of my statement. That Josh Smith will no doubt help, but he isn't the end all be all resolution.

11. Sanity2disChaos

I really dont think Howard wants to play in the ATL,small market team that will not be contenders in the East.He doesnt want to play for his hometown team which is the biggest reason and Smith has been waiting to jump ship for over a year now....ATL ,is not in contention for Howards services...

CP3 wouldnt even consider ATL :grin:

12. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I wouldn't count Atlanta out quite so easily.

BUT I find it hard to believe CP3 and Howard would want to land on a team in the same division as the Heat. That doesn't sound smart. That guarantees they will never win their division and that them getting to the Finals is slim.

If you want to build a super team to beat th Heat, you've got to do it in th West so you don't have to see them until the Finals.

13. megastahr

If CP3 and Howard are going anywhere its houston. I dont care what anyone says.

Harden over Horford ...and its not close.
    not to mention that Howard and CP3 view harden as a superstar.

Also moreys resume for finding cheap players that can contribute ... over EVERY GM. People fail to realize how important that is with a super team.

But i no longer believe that is the case...I think its howard and smith.

Once again if they are playing together...they choose Houston and Harden...and morey with his 800k starter capable players (bev/parsons)

think About this:

Lin (expect great improvement) (bev 800k)
    Harden
    Parsons (800 k)
    Smith
    Howard (Smith 800k)

Dmo and jones highupside players....

or

Teague
    ???? (not even sure who to plug in)
    smith
    Hortford
    Howard

They dont have many young assets or high upside players
    Nor have they shown the ability to accquire any.

Atlanta would be good but I dont think the rosters are even close in comparison to each other.

14. ball4life66

ball4life66 Member

Well Houston doesn't have the money for both so it is irrelevant. Harden is a beast but IMO him and Paul both need to have the ball in their hands so I think it would be a better fit in Atlanta. Paul wanted to go the Hawks out of college and Howard is from Atlanta. If the Hawks landed Paul and Howard they'd probably trade Josh so the lineup would be

Chris Paul
    Lou Williams
    Kyle Korver (Hawks trying to resign him)
    Al Horford
    Dwight Howard

Not to mention the Hawks will have last years first round pick John Jenkins,
    2 first round picks (17th pick and 18th pick) and whatever they would get for Josh Smith in a sign and trade. That lineup could contend with the Heat and Paul and Howard know that.

15. ball4life66

ball4life66 Member

I don't think that is true at all. According to league executives they think if Howard leaves it would be ATL. If Howard is smart he goes to ATL(if Paul goes to ATL) or Houston. LA is not going anywhere and neither are the Mavs.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/story/NBA-notes-Hawks-expected-to-make-serious?blockID=899965

16. megastahr

UGHHHH scroll up... I have explained that like 30000 times...I dont see how everyone hasnt seen this explained before.

17. megastahr

Paul and Harden are superstars. They dont look at it like I have to have the ball in my hands to be successful.

That's for us that dont play professional basketball to say. :rolleyes:

Cp3 says I am the best PG in the game I am going to go play with my friends and sons favorite player James Harden. Who is a superstar and is the best SG in the game...to form our own big 3. The best back court in NBA history. Ohh and we will go ahead and add in the best Center in the NBA to boot.

CP3 Howard union is unlikely but if it happens its Houston no where else.

Our complimentary players over the hawks...and its not even close. Not to mention they would have to trust that the GM they are playing for can put solid players around them with minimal salary to work with

IE
    Delfino 3 mil
    brooks 2 mil
    Parsons 800k
    beverly 800k
    Smith 800k
    Terrence Jones 1.7 mil
    Dmo 1.5 mil

Several foreign prospects
    furkan aldmeir
    (maybe lull)

We can do more with our second pick (with better salary) then atlanta can with both 1sts.

Second rounders Budinger, Parsons, Landry, Brooks...etc etc

18. dje243

dje243 Member

Milsap and Howard is not something I had thought about yet actually. That could be a nice pairing. It could also set you up to trade for LMA or Love at the deadline with Milsap as the centerpiece.

19. megastahr

yah I think part of the package to convince howard would be smith though

20. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

nah howard sees the team as him and harden..

i think millsap would be awesome as a starring role player in that scenario

smarter, cheaper than josh smith