1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official unofficial Josh Smith Dwight Howard campaign thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, May 6, 2013.

1. hahachui

hahachui Member

If we could get CP3 + Josh Smith
    this team is a contender

2. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

If only the CBA didn't exist.

getting even 1 max contract this off season would already require some work, getting 2 ? would require the stars to align properly.

FWIW, getting 2 max guys, absolutely require trading BOTH Lin and Asik (or Harden obviously) to even have a outside chance of happening. it's very difficult, especially since Morey isn't going to risk blowing up the team and ending up missing the target (a legit danger.)

FYI, a Chris Paul max contract will be around 18-19 per against the cap, we may not even that that after declining Delfino / Garcia / Brooks. a Dwight Howard max will be at least a couple M higher. I have a hard time seeing a path to a DH12 signing without pulling either at least a T-Rob trade first.

It's possible to sign 2 max guys, but it's a risky path without nearly as much upside as some may assume.

So, my conclusion is, don't be surprised at all if we don't land either Howard or Paul. and if your friend is taking you up on a bet that Houston will land 2 max guys this summer, take it, and raise him.

3. mockster

mockster Member

@rollingwave I was not talking about Chris Paul whatsoever so I am guessing you are talking to another poster. Second off we would not offer Howard and Smith a max contract mostly likely. It's obvious they both would have to be willing to accept pay cuts for the sake of salary. I think this is an open idea to most players now considering Wade and Lebron did it. Money is nice but I think consdiering they are making millions already winning a championship or being a legit threat is nicer. Obviously I can't speak for Howard or Smith but it's obvious they would take salary cuts if they were to join. I also already stated we would prolly lose most of the bench and we will keep Lin and Harden. Obviously their not going to join if we lose key players and would neogaite so we could keep them.

4. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Wow!! Two guys who rely on their athleticism and have a ton of NBA mileage on them and no skillset to fall back on. They're not damaged goods so much, but their expiration date is around the corner.

5. MONON

MONON Member

I would go after them only if we kept Asik. I like a rotation of Howard, J. Smith & Asik at the 4/5 spots, even though that'd mean buku bucks spent on who ever the back up is.

6. mockster

mockster Member

@BiggRed Expiration date around the corner? Josh Smith (27) Dwight Howard (27) they are in their primes right now. They still have 4-5 solid contributing years and if they stay healthy maybe 1-3 years of decent numbers afterwards. I agree I would love some younger bucks but who exactly do you suggest. I have always liked Cousins as a PF option but he is not a free agent but that does not mean we couldn't trade for him but that means losing assets.

As far as expiration date even when they hit 35 let's say look at people like Dieke Mutombo he was no where near athletic but he still was a huge defense force at age 40 so what do you think Howard and Smith will be like who are athletic and skilled and are big bodies in the paint.

7. allaroundplayer

Why didn't Morey trade for Josh Smith at the trade deadline??? Provided they wouldn't have had to give up a lot of course, not Jones, D-Mo or other key players. However, if Thomas Robinson and others like Greg Smith and Morris would have been enough to acquire Josh Smith, the Rockets would still be playing right now & they would have a chance to go as far as anybody in the West. So I think it is deserved criticism, because the Hawks probably would have liked to get a #5 pick for a player they will probably be losing.

8. mockster

mockster Member

Well if we land Dwight Howard which is our main target, Josh Smith becomes an easier target because of the friendship of the two.

obviously the money thing will be the issue.

If we don't land dwight and smith I think Howard and Millsap could be a realistic option. I think Millsap declined a little this year and we could sign him for a smaller contract if Howard and Harden are on the team anyhow.

9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

It would be LA vs NY every year in the finals.

10. SNAKE DOCTOR

SNAKE DOCTOR Member

Josh Smith is overrated, sign Howard, trade for Love. You're gonna need to spread the floor with Howard, Love gets us that and the rebounds.

11. Raiden87

Raiden87 Member

I would try to trade for kevin love or cousins sign dwight or smith and keep garcia and add a few small pieces

12. mockster

mockster Member

No offense, In my eyes Kevin love does not fit this team and I also see him declining in talent in a few years. Of coarse I could be wrong but if we were to trade for someone I see Demarcus Cousins as a better option but then again why would the King's trade there only fan attraction piece. Same kind of goes for TimberWolves.

13. JessieHTX

JessieHTX Member

This is possible. Because Smith and Howard are best friends. But we will have to do a strong sign and trade with Atlanta to make this happen. Just because ATL wants to keep their salary low while getting assets it's going to be really hard.

14. mockster

mockster Member

Yep, Like I said it won't be a walk in the park but it's alot higher then a Chris Paul Dwight Howard signing.

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

What good is depth when playoff rotations are 7-8 men deep and your best 5 play 35 mins+ ?

16. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I agree with your assessment completely.
    Dwight AND Paul is impossible and not worth blowing up the roster for.

I think the plan of attack is...

1) Dwight
    2) Paul
    3) Smith or Gasol
    4) Milsap
    5) stand pat and develop, keep cap flex for trade deadline Harden type deal.

As you mentioned, getting rid of T-Rob's $3.6m is essential for creating space to sign Dwight. I have no idea of how we move that?

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

IDK. The more i look at it, i'm really not feeling Smith that much anymore. I mean he averaged less in the playoffs than he did in the season. I know that doesn't mean much. It was a slight decline. I am a little concerned about him averaging during the season maybe 5-6 more points and 4 more rebounds than Patrick Patterson did with the 47 games he played with us this season.
    I guess what i am trying to say is, couldn't we do better?

18. koby1868

koby1868 Member

You are wrong sir. Signing 1 max deal is not going to be difficult at all. Also we wouldn't have to move both Lin and asik to bring in another player in sign and trade. Asik would most likely be moved because he has the most value and would be put into the same role he played in Chicago. 8m for a backup is not going to happen.

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Why would you get Smith for his offense? Imho, I think Morey's value for Smith comes from the fact he's the 2nd best post to perimeter defender in the nba.

He seems to struggle as a key component of the offense, you don't want to run plays from him, and he's much more comfortable on that end as a flow guy.

20. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

2 big men with NO low post moves...How the hell can you move foward with these 2??