1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official "No More Bounce Pass From Luther Head to Yao" Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jpsamhyz, Apr 24, 2007.

1. jpsamhyz

jpsamhyz Member

This is the single play that can murder our championship season. The entry pass from Luther to Yao has been worse than atrocious in the first two games. That silly bounce pass forces Yao to bow done and reach for the ball (which wastes his energy), creates turnovers and fastbreak opportuinities for Utah, makes Yao chase back (which wastes more of his energy), costs us points on both ends of the floor, and eventually, p***es me off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If anyone knows Luther, JVG, Tom Thibodeau, Charlie Ward, Keith Jones, or whoever on the Rockets' bench or front office, or if you know someone who knows any Rocket, or if you know someone who knows someone who knows any Rocket, could you pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaase deliver the message that there can be no more, no more, no more silly bounce pass to Yao. Either Luther learn to throw it towards Yao's chest, or leave him at the weakside corner and have someone else throw the entry pass to Yao. The Western Conference is too good for us to have stupid plays like this, which is more than fixable, on a regular basis.

2. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

If Luther can't hit his shots he should not be on the floor.

Luther is trash, he has low basketball iq, he looks terrible running the team, he plays bad team d, commits fouls 30 feet from the basket and on top of that he cant pass the ball.

If Luther makes shots I can live with 10-15 min if not I don't want him on the floor at all.

3. ysong00

ysong00 Member

HAHAHAH omg seriously tho, why the heck does luther (and some others) pass it to yao so low... bounce pass is one thing, but why have it go to him at his knees... obviously thats gonna be tough for yao.

really, is it that hard to pass to yaos open side, and up high, like tmac usually does. this is why we dont see any spin moves any more, cause the inbound passes are actually helping the defender, and not letting yao get a good first step after he touches the ball

4. aaronnguyen

aaronnguyen Member

I agreed with you man the passing from our guard was terrible. They should toss ball into Yao from the air not bouncing off the floor. You could do that sometime but you have to be accurate on those kind of pass becaue it is dangerous pass. Last night they threw it so hard since Yao is so tall it is not easy for him to catch it.

5. aaronnguyen

aaronnguyen Member

Luther can not play defense. He is just a shooter but lately I have not seen he is doing that. When Luther in we need to have T-Mac in there to deliver the ball to him while he is wide open.

6. tsunami

tsunami Member

What the heck you were talking about? That's just one bad play.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I seriously do not understand why our guys cannot make a pass to Yao sometimes. Sure when they are being fronted its almost impossible but alot of the times his front is wide open and they throw it outside low in the strike zone!

8. jpsamhyz

jpsamhyz Member

In fairness, it is easier for Tmac to throw high passes because he has height advantage over fisher and has a clear path. Having said that, however, you can see some times Rafer fights to get a clear path in order to throw a high entry pass. Luther is an undersized two guard who is usually facing a bigger defender. But he can't just take it easy. Either he learns to fight to get a clear path, or we have him on the weakside.

9. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

How about we not regurgitate everything we hear on the radio or tv broadcasts?

We won. Luther needs to play better. That's the bottom line.

Part of it is the bounce pass. Part of it is Yao needing to seal off the player better and protect the ball.

And man, are the buttons on your keyboard stuck?

Can we please not complain about every little thing? It's bad enough after a loss, but Jesus, we are up 2-0 in a playoff series...

10. EssTooKayTD

Bingo. If you are taller or at least the same height as your defender, you can pass it over your defender. If you are shorter, you are going to have to go low for the pass. There lies part of the problem. The bounce pass as an entry pass is not bad...IF done correctly by both the post man and the passer.

11. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I am talking about Luthers game period.

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

man, Luther's got the most pussified bounce pass ever.

13. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

for real, luther should not be allowed to pass at all and shane shoot the ball when you are wide open!

14. beyao

beyao Contributing Member

The problem with Luther's pass is not just that it's too low, but he doesn't use the proper angle...he made a pass yesterday to Yao from almost the top of the key...WTF??

15. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Luther has to use a bounce pass because his man is up on him preventing an overhead pass. And the defender is loose enough to go around Yao and intercept the lob.

A better bounce pass(one that bounces closer to Luther and rises higher to Yao) is needed. Yao needs to keep his butt on his man to slow his progress around him. The Pass needs to be thrown opposite where Yao's man is shading.

One thing that irritates me is how the rocket announcers say just toss it in to Yao. T-Mac can do that because he is bloody 6 foot 8. Luther and Rafer are shorter with a defender right in their face. They have to go around the defense....

16. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

I TOTALLY AGREE. THE MAN IS 7 foot 6 and you make him BEND DOWN TO CATCH A PASS?? GIve me a break, someone teach luther how to throw a ball... I mean, luther TRAVELED, MISSED SHOTS, TOOK A TERRIBLE ONE WITH 1.5 min left( Someone has to remember that, Juwon bailed him out of Luther would be riding the pine for a long time), AND CAused at LEAST 3 turnovers. Luther, GET YOUR HEAD STRAIGHT.

17. EssTooKayTD

I TOTALLY AGREE. THE MAN IS 7 foot 6 and he puts the ball on he floor and TURNS IT OVER!! Give me a break...

Moral of the story, if we are goin to complain, just make one thread and make sure we call every single player out for their shortcommings.

Boy, I'm fiesty today! :p

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

Head is having a sub-par series so far. He is a SG that doesnt make good decisions with the ball. If he doesnt shoot well, he is a liabilty out there. I think he is due a big game in Utah, shooting 5 for 8 somehing like that beyond the arch.

19. EssTooKayTD

I certainly hope that is the case. We need the guy to play well AND within the limits of his game.

20. dookiester

dookiester Member

feisty, but not accurate. yao putting the ball on the floor and turning it over once in awhile is a lot different from luther head bounce passing to yao and making life hard every single time. also i don't recall yao turning it over at all in game 2. bottom line is head doesn't have the skill to make a good bounce pass, so he shouldn't do it. someone said bounce it closer to head so it gets higher up to yao; yea right that will be so slow and even easier to steal. a properly angled bounce pass can be closer to yao and still get high enough for him, but head can't make that angle. he needs to lob that ball up, and it doesn't matter if his man is taller than him. just shake yourself free if your man is in your grill and lob the ball in to yao. he's a huge target so as long as you're not telegraphing your pass and pausing to pose a picture with it, he'll be able to grab it without someone coming from behind to steal it. the reason head has trouble throwing it over his defender is because he waits for 5 seconds before deciding to pass it.