1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official James Harden is not a legitimate #1 option thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hikanoo49, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

One major difference between Harden and Johnson.. Free throws. Joe Johnson went to the line only 3.2 times per game in 871 career games so far. How can you be a successful #1 option on a team when you're purely jump shooter like Joe Johnson.

James Harden has a deadly jumper and leads the league in Free throws made and attempts. He attacks the rim as well as he shoots J's. So pick your poison. And yeah, he's doing this at an early age of 23. No player at this level peaks at 23. He's only going to get better and better.

2. cogitoergosum

cogitoergosum Member

He's good player but if he needs to realize that teams are beginning to figure him out...Well, I guess that goes for everyone on the team also.

He's still young and if he steadily polishes/improves his game then maybe he can become a star. But as of right now he's not.

Then again... I blame the coaching staff for his decline via over using him and running same plays to death.

I say...best solution right now is to replace mchale................

3. Cazuquel

Cazuquel Member

Joe Johnsons can make a basketball individual dominant ball as Harden is doing now?
    Only thinking about your number stats?
    If Joe Johnsons had all privileges, He would have much better numbers

4. eman

eman Contributing Member

If we would move our bodies and ball better, I bet his minutes would go down and his %s would go up. If we're going to hand off to him and wait and watch him go 1-on-5 against a set D, our losing streak could go epic.

Right now, I just want to see more Bev and Dmo and TJ (call him up already).

5. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Thought? How about you GTFO and quit posting! Dumb ass thread lock it up!

6. nbafever

nbafever Member

wow, where were you when Harden had that 14-game streak of hitting 25+ points a game?

where were you when Harden was winning games for us in the clutch last Dec?

shssh, his heavy minutes have caught on to him. he's just overworked by McHale. let's talk again after he gets his rest

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Huh??

8. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Don't see how you can come to that conclusion when this is his first season as a starter and he has only played half a season worth of games.

26 points a game is nothing to sneeze at for a dude being the lead guy on a team for the first time.

And what do you mean by HIGH VOLUME SHOOTER...??? Harden averages 17.8 field goal attempts while averaging 26 points per game. There are only 9 players in the NBA that average 20 points or more a game and ONLY TWO OF them take less field goal attempts than Harden. And LeBron is the only none point guard in that top 9 that averages more assist than Harden (the other two are Westbrook and Curry).

The Rockets have a legitimate number one option. You're going to need to submit evidence to support your theory because you haven't. All you did was show Joe Johnson's numbers.

2 people like this.
  9. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

He's not a top 5 league scorer for nothing.

10. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Horrible thread.

11. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

How about renaming this thread "Hikanoo49 is not a legitimate poster" thread.

Discuss

1 person likes this.
  12. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

Right now, I would rather take Paul George over him. George isn't a good of a scorer, but he plays some mad defense. Harden doesn't even try to play defense. He'll let a guy like Crowder go right by him.

If Harden isn't making at least 40% on his shots, then he becomes a liability more than anything else.

13. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Lol this reminds me of the Lillard thread where people tried to make an argument that he already peaked at 22 lol..

14. rokit

rokit Member

his jump shot is average at best

15. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Sigh..just leave please.

16. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Seriously?

We have a 23 years old putting up 26/5/5 with elite TS numbers on a playoff contending team in the west, but you are arguing he's not a #1 option?

J.Johnson can't hold Harden's jock strap.

17. pnr

pnr Member

Of course people mention Lin again when the thread isn't even about him. But I disagree with the OP. He has done amazingly given this is his first year STARTING and he is still so young and raw.

18. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

The thing with James Harden is that he has teammates that can't hit wide open shots. Other teams just double Harden and force him to pass the ball or force tough shots while his teammates are missing wide open shots like Morris or Patterson and Asik..

19. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Hi PNR,

Yes, i hope this thread doesnt get derailed as well.

To address your points:

1. I am not saying is is not a good player

2. I know he is young and will improve

3. I think ONE DAY he MAY be a real #1 option (if he continues to improve)

BUT as of now meaning today, he has quite a few holes in his game

- I dont think he makes players around him better as he is a ball stopper

- His defense is lacking (has he taken a charge his year?)

- He does not appear to be a good leader (doesnt seem he is vocal) from what I have seen and read

So I am not saying Harden sucks. I am saying as of NOW, he does not appear to be a real legitimate #1 option to me as of today. This statement does not matter if he is 23 or 53 but what I am seeing today in his game

20. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

There's maybe five players in the league I would trade Harden for. Exactly how many '#1" options do you think there are out there, and how do you propose we get them?