1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official don't re-sign Clowney thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Get er done bill

2. CallMeTheDream

I really hope this deal falls through. I’m sick to my stomach at how all this crap is playing out. Everyone on Kirby is clueless to say the ****in least. Here we are starting off the season on the wrong foot once again. Landry locker described it perfectly today; we let Bouye go only to still be looking for a replacement 3 yrs later. We trade Brown only to still be looking for a replacement 2 yrs later. And here we are trading Clowney, and in 2 years will probably still be looking for a replacement. They need to get someone in there who knows wtf they’re doing before BOB turns us into the Browns

3. AKVerse47

AKVerse47 Member

Bill cannot be that insane to give up Clowney and a 1st round pick to Miami? That's nuts!

CallMeTheDream likes this.
  4. Newlin

Newlin Member

How many pro bowls has Tunsil played in?

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Go ask Lamar Miller what can happen to your value after you suffer a season-ending injury in a meaningless preseason game. It’s simply smart business for a player on the franchise tag to avoid playing in meaningless preseason games. If they get seriously injured, they lose their shot at a huge payday in free agency. Blame the NFL for its contract structure, not the players holding out once they get tagged.

Teams shouldn’t be allowed to tag players anyway. If you can’t build a winning team during his rookie contract nor are willing to offer him a competitive contract for his services, the player should be free to explore his options as a free agent once his rookie contract expires.

Edited to reflect that franchise-tag salaries are guaranteed.

#1025 DVauthrin, Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  6. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

At this rate I'd just as soon trade a 2nd and 5th for Trent Williams, hold on to Clowney and either trade him this offseason or get the 3rd round comp pick when he walks.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Billy “in over his head” O is about to get WORKED by Miami in this deal. He ain’t no Morey or Luhnow

BigShasta likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Nah they can suck a #1 out of Cal and BOB.

9. CallMeTheDream

That’s what happens when your head coach and GM jack off the whole off season letting cap space go to literal waste, while signing bums to fill in at marquee positions. Could’ve gotten a first and second AT LEAST for the guy. And here we are about to use a first and who knows what else just to dump him. If you would’ve told me this 3 months ago I’d have driven to Kirby and kicked Gaines ass outta town myself

10. DVauthrin

If the Texans give up a 1st and Clowney for Tunsil, it confirms they are run by idiots. Clowney isn’t some scrub you throw in to seal a deal. It’s either Clowney and a lower pick (2nd at most), or a first straight up for Tunsil. Also, if the Dolphins were offered Clowney and a first for Tunsil and rejected it, they are run by morons or greedy personnel people, too.

Two Sandwiches, J.R. and Nook like this.
  11. CallMeTheDream

If we have to give up any kind of pick with Clowney I want Xavien Howard thrown in the deal

red5rocket likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Again... professional athletes are not blue collar workers or white collar workers. They are the labor and the product.

You can say Clowney has to do X, Y, Z but history shows otherwise. Players have held out and some have been successful and some have not.

It would be foolish for Clowney to just sign the FT and come to camp and lose any leverage. I have no issue with what Clowney has done. His allegiance is to himself and his family and not to a football team that doesn’t even want to give him a market value extension.

UTSA2step and Gray_Jay like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t know if a trade happens, I have no inside information... but what I do know is based on track record, I would bet on the Texans over paying.

Gray_Jay and red5rocket like this.
  14. DVauthrin

So would I. The Texans do not have a smart and savvy front office. They are reactive rather than proactive.

Gray_Jay, The Real Shady and Nook like this.
  15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

You clearly don’t understand the Texans O-line issue.

Clowney is gone either way.

Clowney and a first for Tunsil is a freaking steal if that’s what gets it done.

16. Nook

Nook Member

The Texans offensive line is a symptom of the disease, not the actual disease. The Texans need an enema to flush the arrogant, fat and bloated **** right into the toilet.

Gray_Jay, Two Sandwiches and J.R. like this.
  17. CallMeTheDream

Yeah a steal for the Dolphins. Dee Ford went for a second. And Frank Clark went for a 1 and 2. Clowney is better than both

18. DVauthrin

I clearly understand the Texans o-line problems, and I’m also completely on board with trading Clowney for Tunsil. However, trading Clowney and a first for Tunsil alone is a horrible value trade for the Texans. The Texans front office (Bill O’ Brien, cough, cough) needs to swallow its pride in regards to Clowney and not get hosed in a trade. He’s a 26-year-old Pro Bowl defensive end. Guys like him don’t grow on trees either. I’d be on board with trading Clowney and a first for Tunsil and a 3rd, due to years of control remaining on their respective contracts. But Clowney and a first for Tunsil by himself is simply too much.

If that is the price to get Tunsil, I’d rather keep Clowney and offer the Redskins a first to get Trent Williams. Then, I have a Pro-Bowl-caliber defensive end and a Pro-Bowl-caliber left tackle. That’s the most optimal outcome for this season, anyway.

#1038 DVauthrin, Aug 30, 2019
  19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Clowney can’t be extended and a pro bowl LT might be the second most important position on the field.

20. DVauthrin

Clowney is only in his first season on the franchise tag. The Texans could negotiate a long-term extension with him next offseason if they so choose, they just can’t do so right now.

Also, you’ll get no argument from me about the importance of a Pro-Bowl left tackle. However, a Pro-Bowl defensive lineman is pretty important, too. Just ask Khalil Mack and Aaron Donald.

#1040 DVauthrin, Aug 30, 2019