1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official don't draft Vince Young thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bag0b0y, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

I wonder how many bandwagoneers jumped from the Bush band to the Vince van after the Rose Bowl???? Where were yall before the Rose Bowl? How come I'm seeing so many threads on VY now!!! Only the pre RoseBowl Vince Young lovers can say anything on this thread.

First of all one game does not determine a players career in the NFL. It seems to me that many have bought into the hype and after one game are hypnotized by the media. I'll admit he was great. Reggie Bush was mediocre. Many people have not watched enough games with Bush or Young to generate a legitimate opinion on either. They just base their opinion on one "nationally televised" game which Young so happen to be spectacular in. Now i'm hearing stuff like draft young and have Carr groom him like Kitna did for Palmer. Give me a break. I'm also hearing that Mcnair will make a mistake if they don't draft him worse than the mistake made by Portland in the NBA with drafting Sam Bowie ahead of Jordan. LOL.

Unless Young starts changing his mentality he will be a run first QB. What in the world would our recievers and running back be good for if a QB runs half the plays??? I don't remember the Texas receivers being used a lot if any during the Rose Bowl. Can you imagine Andre or Mathis not being utilized with all the talent they have? Another thing, defenses will hone in on either the running back or the QB for a run most of the time and stack the line rendering any run ineffective. Also a QB's chances of getting injured are twice as high when they're out in the open with a linebacker or safety focusing in on him. I personally think Vick is faster than Young and speaking of which what has he done lately to get the Falcons anywhere with his legs? He's suppose to be the NEXT big thing because the media hyped him up. Where is the hype now????????????????????

I'm not convinced the second coming of Vick is the answer to help the Texans' goal of winning the Super Bowl. We need a traditional quarterback who can stay in the pocket and PASS the ball under pressure and at the least an above average running back that will RUN the ball effectively either between the tackles or around the corners. I still believe if we draft Bush he will truly open up the passing game. Defenses will think twice about blitzing Carr on every play having to watch for the run. That gives Carr at least one valuable second to look for Andre or see Mathis fly to the endzone for a pass. Bush is too small? Says who? how much more does LT weigh? Everyone said DD was too small, and what about Priest Holmes?

Until a Super Bowl is won by Vick (who is the epitome of a run first QB) I will not buy into the hype surrounding these types of QB's.

Everyone is enamored with what Young did in the Rosebowl and i'm a UT fan to say the least but as a Texans fan I will not jump on the Vince Young bandwagon to draft him number 1. Unless we're drafting to put money into Mcnair's pocket through Vince Young jerseys and season tickets don't buy into the hype. (A Vince Young Texans Jersey would look sweet however!)

2. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I find it amazing that someone talking about drafting Reggie Bush is accusing others of buying media hype.

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Dude nobody talked about VY and the Texans because nobody felt he would come out.

4. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Texans probably shouldn't draft Young because they already have Carr who is will always be at least average but you made a lot of very wrong claims throughout the rest of your post.

#4 JumpMan, Jan 6, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Vince completed 17 out of his 30 passes to WR's. 3 WR's had over 50 yards receiving each: Sweed/Pittman/Carter. 10 of the remaining 13 completions went to our TE David Thomas, who has excellent hands. Only 3 of the 30 passes were dump offs to running backs.

You really must not have paid attention if you missed him utilizing our wideouts. And yes Houston would be wise to get a TE who can catch a pass to help Vince but Carr needs that too, as do most young qb's.

6. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I don't care who they draft, Bush or Young it makes no difference to me. I may be okay with them trading the pick. I just like how the chants went Reggie Reggie Reggie Reggie Regince Vince Vince Vince Vince Vince Vince....

I hope Young declares for the draft soon because if he doesn't and decides to go back to school everyone is going to blame the Texans for not somehow letting him know they'll take him #1. Then they will take Bush, everyone will hate on him and we'll all be sad. :(

Is there a date when they have to declare by?

Edit: never mind I found the answer. It's January 15

7. JumpMan

Ok this really bothered me, Vick is really the only QB in the NFL that is more dangerous as a runner than a passer, so you're saying that he has to win the Super Bowl before trusting that type of QB? 1 in 32? Those are not great odds. Is a conference championship game appearance good enough? He does have one of those.

8. twoface723

twoface723 Member

You can't go wrong with either Young or Bush, but since I think David Carr has no potential, I say draft Vince over Reggie. But it doesn't matter.

9. twoface723

twoface723 Member

Vince is a 6'6 running beast. He's a taller Mike Vick. That's very scary.

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

there's an official draft reggie bush thread started.

11. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

You forgot more accurate and herpes free.

12. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Young went 30/40... You remember Texas receivers not being used a lot? Did you watch the game?

And Vince only runs first on plays that are designed for him to run. Otherwise, he always goes thru his progressions before he thinks run. He seemed to make the right choice almost every time

And yeah their are a lot of bandwagon fans now. I've been following Vince ever since he came to UT so whatever. It's pretty funny to see how quickly people change their opinions. So easily influenced.

13. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

If you watch film on this guy, he really is in the same mold as LT. Reggie Bush was the running back that came to my mind because he's rated number 1 by professional scouts. I did not mention him because he's a media darling. A type of runner like him would give our offense options. I would pick Deangelo Williams if he didn't have so much wear on him. Plus if I was buying into hype over what I actually see shouldn't this be the official draft vince young thread???????

14. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

I can't think of a greater run first quarterback. He is the greatest at what he does and if anything he has the best chance at winning a superbowl over any other "run first" quarterback if there is any other. I believe his legs are equivalent to Favre's/Manning's arm. Name one run first quarterback that has won a superbowl and I will make an official draft vince young thread. And by the way bandwagon fan what other claims do you think are stupid?!?

15. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

I don't get it; shouldn't the pick be simple??? If Young stays (which I think he will), draft Bush. If Carr doesn't impress next year (which he won't by any standards here), trade him plus other picks for Young.

There's always free agents available to fill various holes. It shouldn't be difficult.

Oh right, I forgot who the GM is. :eek:

16. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Draft Young.

17. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

draft VY!

he is the real deal.

dare to aspire for greatness.

18. JumpMan

There isn't any, Michael Vick is the only quarterback in the NFL who is a greater threat as a runner than a passer McNabb, Carr, Brooks, and Culpepper can run, but they're greater threats as passers, with Vick you stop his rushing and you probably stop the Falcons' offense. I can only name one successful, at times, run first quarterback in recent NFL history, so it's not fair to expect him to win a Super Bowl, but he already has playoff wins and an NFC championship game appearance. You can't dismiss Young as a potential Super Bowl winner simply because Vick hasn't won a Super Bowl, and besides, you don't know if his running will be his greatest weapon.

Sorry, about the stupid comment, but the not passing to WRs was flat out wrong, that's the better word, sorry. Other things too that other posters have pointed out, were wrong. And I'm not a bandwagon fan, I think the Texans cannot screw up the #1 pick even if they tried, Bush is a great pick, but so is Young. Either way I'm going to watch the Texans a lot more than I did this season.

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Run first? He passed the ball twice as much as he ran it in the Rose Bowl, with no turnovers. That's not really close to half. And the Texas receivers, tight ends and running backs caught 30 passes in the game... that seems like they were utilized to me. Combine that with the fact that he was the number one rated passer in all of Division-1A college football this year and I think he'll do just fine in situations where he needs to throw from the pocket. Also, ask Mel Kiper or any draft expert... they'll all agree that Young is FAR more developed as a passer at this stage of his career than Vick was at this stage of his.

Finally, if you actually watch Texas play, the pounding Young takes is very minimal... he has the intelligence and instinct for getting out of bounds and avoiding the big hits that other running quarterbacks like Vick and Cunningham didn't have. He also has a bigger frame that allows him to take more punishment.

20. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

Bag0b0y --

I can only say that you should watch some college football before writing. vince has been doing this all season and last season too. Its just that you guys are watching and listening to all the hype created by ESPN. Let me give you an example. You see ESPN gave Pat riley and HEAT so much hype after winning 3 in a row against bunch of losing teams and you are thinking that Miami has become better even though on the other side Detroit is just tearing teams apart and are challenging the best season record. You can think of Reggie as Miami and Vince as Detroit. All you saw was the amazing high flying of Bush but didn't see how Vince was bringing his team back against oklahoma or blowing away colorado. So in conlusion its not me who switched to vince bandwagon after one game, its you who got onto bush bandwagon after watching those stupid ESPN Shows.