1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official BoB coaching thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Sydeffect, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Vanilla offense and defense.

Belichik lite.

Ignored the qb position. At least Kubiak traded for a healthy Schaub when he had the chance.

Drafts slow and low character players.

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

His stock is not rising, obviously. It is a "win" or go home league. Like Kubiak 13, he has hitched his wagon to a falling "star." The "play better, coach better" mantra is aging rapidly. Honestly, I am starting not to care.

3. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

4. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

You lost me on the last point.

5. carlosc

carlosc Member

6. conquistador#11

maybe too aggressive?
    some wanted more aggressive play calling from the coach but I never think it's a good idea to go empty backfield from your own 10 with warren moon under center let alone fitzy.

It's his first year but the mistakes have nothing to do with experience. he has allegedly been coaching football for some time. So i'm blaming going brain dead on the supernatural demons that have possessed houston sports.

It always takes a couple of seasons for a coach to implement his system to perfection. We have to be patient yet again. aint nobody got time for dat.:p

oh and I wished we used a little more play action. it's too bad we don't have a stud running back to make the defense hesitate a little bit and give the hairy one a little more time. tired of the defense always hitting his arm as he throws.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

OK I went too far.

I think the biggest problem is the gm structure we have in place. Who is accountable for managing the cap and making sure we don't hand out bad contracts?

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Since his experience in college and with the Patriots didn't impress me much at all I felt O'Brien would have to earn my trust. I didn't expect anything from him. So far I've been satisfied.

I like his passion, I like his philosophy, I like the way it seems he delegates tasks to the staff, I like his toughness and candor. He seems to have good ideas when it comes to offense and game management. I like the fake punts, experimenting with players, holding people accountable.

With that said he looks like a rookie out there. I feel like he's getting embarrassed each game. Whether he challenges an obvious good play, has 12 men on the field, gets stopped on 4th down, has the team come out flat, has his players fumbling the ball in key situations... whether it's all his fault or not it's reflecting on him.

He's obviously a rookie head coach and IMO, less polished than Kubiak was when he started. BoB has a ways to go but he just might have the tools to get there eventually.

It just seems strange to me... you're one of the top franchises in sports right now, your fans are amongst the best, you have best defensive player in the game, the #1 pick, a great city and a hands-off owner -- and you settle for a project head coach? This franchise is better than that, man. I suppose the crop of available coaches was just that weak.

Here's to BoB getting his guys in and improving as a coach over the next 3 years...

10. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

I don't necessarily disagree. Chris Olsen is supposedly the main guy who manages the cap.

11. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

Well, it was either a retread like Whisenhunt/Lovie or someone new. This is usually how it always is. Cowher isn't going to coach ever again most likely. And guys like Bellichick aren't available. O'Brien was a new name with good potential who was highly thought of in both college and NFL circles.

12. Remii

Remii Member

Hindsight... They could have been more patient. They could have let Wade stay on as the head coach and brought in Kyle Jr as the OC. That way they could have added to the system in place instead of hitting the reset button after one bad year.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The biggest thing that makes me scratch my head is why settle on Fitz.
    FitzPatrick has literally lost everywhere he has gone . . . ..

Some of the play calling makes me wonder

I think the biggest thing is that the players are not coming to play hard
    every game every play . .. it is a bit on them and bit on him

3 minutes in Pittsburg is jush unacceptable.
    A Comedy of errors and bad decisions

Rocket River

14. Remii

Remii Member

Wasn't a lot out there on the free agent market and they did trade for Mallet...

Remember the Mallet rumours before the draft. The Texans may have been trying to trade for him then but New England may have been asking for too much. The Texans may have been stuck with Fitzpatrick more so than settling with him.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Fitzpatrick isn't a falling star; he's fallen. Having said that, they're a win in Tennessee away from being .500 through 8 games, which isn't bad. And Fitzpatrick has played... well, above my expectations. He isn't costing this team games. He's made some mistakes - but they've been final-nail-in-coffin types - Bullock's missed FG and AJ's fumble were *far* more costly than Fitzpatrick's fumble against the Colts. Manning and Foster's fumbles, as well as the 12-man penalty, were *far* more costly than Fitzpatrick's INT against the Steelers.

I think Fitzpatrick is right where BO'B thought he'd be: if the running game, defense and special teams play well, they can win with Ryan Fitzpatrick. But those elements haven't been clean.

16. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I don't like when he goes to a no back set when there is short yardage to gain for the first down. You have to make the defenders at least think we are going to run it so they aren't going all out on the Quarterback.

It really grinds my gears :mad:

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That is the worst idea ever.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

What in the world happened to the tight ends?

19. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

He definitely has a huge ego

20. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

they are all bad football players... Gronk and Hernandez aren't walking thru that door

I like Graham but he is average at best, CJ keeps making bone head decision after bone head decision and I haven't even seen Griffin this year.