1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official BoB coaching thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Sydeffect, Sep 8, 2014.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I agree with you to an extent. I was saying they'd win 6 games...and I was painted as a hater/pessimist for suggesting they'd MERELY triple their previous year's win total. I actually think they're going to do better than that. I see it at 7 wins. 7 is definitely better than 2!

I am concerned, however, that this growth in wins isn't necessarily growth to build on. I don't know that I see a young core that I say, "Ok..they're improving! And they'll continue to improve to be a playoff team!" I don't see a group of players on this team like that right now. In some ways it feels like they're spinning wheels.

Until they solve the QB mystery, I don't think they're going anywhere. I don't know if they find that QB in the upcoming draft or elsewhere.

1 person likes this.
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Dude, no offense... but I've been waging this war here for 5, 6 years now.....

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's fair. I wouldn't know, I've only been around the Texans forum on this site for about a year.

4. Hey Now!

The core isn't as good as I would have argued prior to the season starting - but I still think it's a pretty decent core. Especially if...

... they can upgrade their QB. Think about how much better this team would be with pre-meltdown Schaub. I really and truly think a good QB would make the core look a whoooooooooole lot better.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This isn't even getting into how awful a draft 2014 is looking right now.

Given the shelf life of RBs, it certainly feels like we're wasting a great year from Foster.

But the city really should embrace this team and give it every benefit of the doubt because the last 13 seasons have been so successful and enjoyable! Nothing to be jaded about at all!! :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  6. Remii

Remii Member

Was just messing with ya with that comment... But mostly all fans complain to a certain extent.

They're exceeding my expectations as far as the amount of games I thought they would win because I had them going 6-10. But there's a saying that goes "All money ain't good money".... Sometimes the only difference between going 8-8 and 2-14 is draft position. Just because the Texans were able to beat RG3, Carr, EJ Manual, and Mettenburger isn't really anything to give me hope for the future.

I gave them a grade of "C" after their draft which means I don't have a lot of hope for the 2014 draft class. All of the best talent on this team besides J.J. is either old or crippled and then there's a player like Brown who started regressing last year. I'm expecting a big turnaround of players after this season which would mean a bunch of new players learning a new system... In other words _ I don't believe they will be in playoff contention next year either.

7. Hey Now!

Please point out, in any post of mine, in which I've said the city should embrace this team, give it every benefit of the doubt, that the past 13 seasons have been so successful and enjoyable...

If all you have are a bunch of empty straw men, why don't you head back to the Astros' forum and eye-roll all the posters there who aren't buying into the 19-game improvement after 400+ losses the previous 4 seasons, knowwhatImean?...

8. Hey Now!

I really dislike this line of thinking... lose any of those games, and it's grounds to fire everyone. But win and, ho-hum...

Good teams beat bad teams. Look at the QBs the Colts have beaten: Bortles, Locker, Flacco, Fitzpatrick, Dalton, the bad Manning.....

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

Thank you, I have seen this same story repeated over and over since the 1960's. I am shocked that I am still following Houston professional football at all. To be accused of being "impatient" is genuinely laughable.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

So am I.

Maybe you should just stop, since it seems to have brought you nothing but abject misery for the last 40 years.

11. Hey Now!

Bill O'Brien has absolutely nothing to do with Gary Kubiak or Dom Capers, let alone 36 years of the Houston Oilers.

And did you fall asleep in your recliner in 2011-2012? You act like this is year 7,872 of futility. Seriously, go hang out with a Browns or Lions or Raiders fan. There are 15 NFL teams with longer playoff droughts than the Texans. The Bills haven't been to the playoffs in 14 years - longer than the Texans have even existed.... but poor little you and your year and a half absence....

12. Remii

Remii Member

You can't accuse others of not having insightful thinking if you ignore that...

So are you saying that the Texans are a good team like Indy....???? Lolzzzzzzz...!!!! Stop it...

What's even funnier about that statement is that you have the Texans quarterback on that list... And the Texans also lost to the "bad Manning" by the way.

13. solid

Can you even fathom the notion that I don't care what you think. At all. Not even a little bit.

14. Hey Now!

It's not insightful. First and foremost, in any given year, there will be far more average, or worse, teams in the NFL than good ones. The vast majority of good teams feast on the bad ones and generally split with the good ones. You, and others, seem to have this fantastical idea that the good teams only play and beat other good teams - which, beyond being mathematically impossible, simply flies in the face of reality.

The Patriots are 7-2; 4-0 against teams with losing records; 3-2 against teams with winning records.

This is how it's been done FOREVER. But for some reason, the Texan franchise seems to be the only one that is railed for doing it. Worse: when they beat good teams, the goal posts get moved because this happened, or that happened... It's sort of incredible the lengths supposed fans will go to invalidate their team (or, more specifically: to validate their opinions).

Uhm... When did I say that?....

Besides the fact I never said it, you mean...?

Yes, the Texans' QB is not very good. Even at his best, he was still remarkably average. And the Texans are *not* a good team. But, like good teams, the Texans are beating inferior ones and there's no shame in that.

15. solid

My last post was inappropriate. I apologize. I thought your remarks were rude, but I should not return in kind.

Actually, many of your remarks are interesting and insightful. However, I think we should all work at being civil and polite. I will try harder.

16. Hey Now!

I wasn't offended but thanks. And I apologize for my tone, though not the sentiment. I've been an Oiler/Texan fans since 1976; I get the extension of your misery - I just don't view tangible regime changes - let alone franchise replacement- as one constant entity; I think that's not only unfair to the current regime (which is nine weeks old) but makes for a miserable fan experience.

I don't know, man... I certainly want the Texans to succeed - but I don't live and die by them. Not anymore. I used to with the Oilers. Seems rather silly in hindsight. The season is certainly more fun when they win but... I just don't want to wallow in negativity and misery. And, I feel like my approach, at least for me, makes me much more appreciative of the highs. Sure, I'd prefer the Texans be 6-3 - but if I get to watch JJ Watt wreak havoc for a 7-9 team... there are worse things in life.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think we're wasting great years from 2 really exceptional players...and past that, I don't think there's a core that I'm real psyched about going forward. Watt will be here for many years to come...I don't know how many more seasons we should expect like this from Foster.

Again, I don't put that on O'Brien.

18. Remii

Remii Member

You insinuated it by saying good teams beat bad teams... Guess what _ bad teams beat bad teams as well. If two bad teams play each other someone has to win and just because two bad teams play each other it doesn't make the victorious team a good team...

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

It's been 9 games - that's N I N E games. Please explain how BoB, Belichik, Landry or even Lombardy himself can completely revamp a 2-14 roster and implement their system and philosophy in one offseason and NINE games. Now I'm with you on not having faith in McNair & Smith (especially Smith) but geez, let's give the guy a chance to get his type of players and put in his systems before we nail him to the cross.

20. Remii

Remii Member

I know it's only been 9 games... But I haven't nailed O'Brien to the cross... I just don't have blind faith in O'Brien. I don't put stock in what he did at Penn State (which technically wasn't much) and coaches out of New England. I'm just not as enthusiastic about him as most... But hopefully he will change that and McNair will probably give him plenty of time to do so.