1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The OFFICIAL Bill O'Brien in the hot seat thread.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Snow Villiers, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The defense not being able to stop anybody is very closely tied to the offense not being able to stay on the field.

Do I feel the defense is not doing as well as it should? Yes. But I realize a big part of that is the offense, while only a small part is the defense actually underperforming. I say this because when they have rest, they're good.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Results? Who cares about results when you can spit profanity and do push ups?

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The offensive has had serious issues, but the defense has not been good. They gave up 21 points in the first half against a very good Atlanta team. It can not be because they are tired. That usually is a second half excuse.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

Tank!!!!!!!!! Do whatever is necessary to grab a QB

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He should be fired just for putting us through the Ryan Mallet Upside Experience.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Dead last in take-aways. DEAD LAST!

Good news is Thursday's opponent is almost as bad.

7. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

No, you can fire him, but who is next coach for us? I think GM should be fired first on this team.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

You want to make scapegoats out of the kicker? How about you make scapegoats out of your ST coach? Or your LB coach? Or your QB coach? Or your secondary coach?

9. Mr. Clutch

I really thought the cutting of Bullock would turn this team around.

Quite shocked that it didn't.

10. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

No, I am just saying our GM is not doing his jobs for several years, not on one year or two years. The coach job will be re-examined at least in the next year.

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

O'Brien gets through next year at the very least. Rick Smith on the other hand should be gone sooner if this keeps up, if for no other reason than to get some fresh perspective in the door.

The rest of the October schedule is pretty cake so we could be 3-4 going into that Titans matchup, which sadly puts us right in the thick of things in this division.

12. Mr. Clutch

The BOB vs Rick "throw under the bus watch" has begun.

Unfortunately I think only one gets fired

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

It's very obvious to me that the coaches have not been prepared. The game planning has been absolute crap and there is no excuse for that.

14. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The Texans played 4 games this season and got their asses handed to them in 3 out o f 4.

The only game they won just because the other teams sucked worse. Hey the Texans even need to fire their kicker after the victory.

I don't know how can you have confidence that any games can be a cake walk for this team now.

15. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I don't understand why this isn't the general consensus by now.

No amount of BOB grandstanding is going to save this season.

16. Mattician

Mattician Member

No way you fire Bill O'Brien.

The blame has always been on Rick Smith. He deserves it, but not all of the blame is on him.

The Texans need a new owner. Then a GM.

17. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I don't really get the calls for a new owner. An owner is an owner...he pays the bills. McNair pays the bills, he doesn't cheap out, spends as much as any other owner. At the end of the day, thats the best you can hope for out of an owner. We have to believe that he wants to win. To say otherwise is silly. I think he is loyal to a fault but having said that, its obviously time to shake up the front office. The owner? I don't care, they are virtually all the same. Jerry Jones could be the owner and we'd have a new regime every other year...that doesn't really help either.

I think its CLEAR, to everyone, that a new front office is the first place to start. BO'B deserves a shot to mold his team. I'd give him another 2 years...(no joke, I think he can be a good coach. He still has some stuff to learn, probably too). Smith and the rest of his team, should go.

And then, pretty much do what it takes to get a top QB that can lead the Texans for the next decade. Draft, trade up the draft, or hope a trade goes through. But that is the obvious focus. Once the texans have their QB, everything else falls into place (duh).

18. Indaface

Indaface Member

I'm not a Rick Smith is the root of all evils guy like a lot of people but realistically he should have been gone when Kubiak was sent packing.

BoB might be a disappointment so far this year but he has earned some rope after last year.

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Didn't say any would be a cake walk, but it's not beyond the realm of imagination that we could find a way to beat the Colts (possibly without Luck), the Dolphins (so awful that they just fired the HC), or the Jaguars.

I think 3-4 is possible, especially with Foster and Duane Brown back. I'm not saying that we are anywhere close to a good football team, nor do I really even want to win after what I've seen so far this year (just about ready to tank and pray that we actually take a QB high in the draft).

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I think Bob will get a minimum of 2 more years. After all, look how long McNair stuck with Kubiak. The surest way to create a permanent bottom feeder is the install a head coach carousel and that's something that that bedeviled the Houston Oilers. Such a process institutionalizes instability and mediocrity. Let's say they fire both BoB and Rick Smith: then what? Get a new coach + GM and embark on another rebuilding project? And just how long do you give that new coach & GM to turn things around? Two years? Three? What if they lose as well? Start the whole process again? At some point you have to give the guy you hired enough time to do something else you become the Raiders or the Browns or the OILERS...