1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The OFFICIAL Bill O'Brien in the hot seat thread.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Snow Villiers, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why does he have job if he isn't going to report. It is sad when national guys get stories before local guys.

2. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Wow now this makes total sense

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That sounds like something bobs camp would leak.

He had final roster say. That's a fact.

He's trying to obscure that now and blame Rick

They both suck. Let a new regime pick everything

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He makes graphics.

There's some stupid **** in there. And by stupid, I mean not-believable. The team is going to come out unmotivated and play like crap because they don't like the GM? Really? Mike Mohamed was going to blow up and demand big money? He surely would've made more money than the little he was making, but he wasn't going to break the bank. And the GM intentionally wanted no production from a soon to be FA LB just so he could save, what, relatively little in NFL terms? Even though he was going to be a FA and there was no guarantee he'd return? OK. :rolleyes: Has he signed anywhere? No? Oh well, doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in a LB that should be healthy by now and is good enough to command big money, enough to justify making your team worse just to hurt his value.

And if the players are upset that they weren't allowed to go to Miami with only 1 QB (when the starter had been knocked out for at least 1 play in the last 2 games) then they're all ****ing idiots.

I don't know if anybody has really quit on anybody, but if I'm going to believe somebody, I'll believe a guy like Braddock, who said a couple of weeks ago and reiterated today that the "staff continues to lose players". At least Braddock is a writer and analyst who covers the Texans. I'd trust his take over a nameless guy who supposedly works on graphics for NFL Redzone.

1 person likes this.
  5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You mean he treats the players like...assets?

[​IMG]

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I want them both gone, but I especially don't want BOB choosing his own GM if Rick gets fired. It would be KC and Scott Pioli all over again.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Wasn't there talk in the last offseason that Rick Smith was going to get promoted to an executive VP position and be replaced internally as GM?

I am guessing that that will now be a fait accompli. The front office will be re-org-ed this upcoming offseason. OBie likely gets one more year and some say on the re-org.

Truthfully the Texans are a bad football team. They do not have the talent to be competitive at several positions. They need to rebuild. They need to draft better. They need to do better player development.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If the players check out because of a GM then I blame the COACH! How bad is your coaching that your players don't give a **** about you and their jobs because of an executive?

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Every professional coach will eventually lose a team; it's inevitable. The players hear the same thing enough times and they eventually start to tune it out. And it doesn't even have to necessarily be during a down stretch.

I don't have any sources with the Texans anymore - but I did for much of Kubiak's era and I know, for a fact, that the coaches felt they lost the team midway through the 2012 season, which, in case you've forgotten, was the team's best year, in terms of record. The heads swelled, they were too good to listen to the coaches... if you think *we* hated the letterman jackets, ask a Kubiak-era coach about it.

Obviously, when things *are* bad, it's easier to see the team check out, especially if you have respected veterans buzzing in players' ears. Guys like Ed Reed, Vince Wilfork... they have a lot of clout and can poison a locker room really easily.

This is why Belicheck is such an evil genius: as soon as he recognize the temperature in his locker room has changed, he jettisons a big name and regains control. It helps that Brady is playing Vader to his Palpatine.

10. Hey Now!

Planet Earth, where there are only 32 such positions available...... I mean, Jacksonville hired perhaps the hottest coordinator available at the time - do you think *that's* a desirable situation?

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If I'm Bill O'Brien, I use the bye week to let RAC walk &amp; replace him. I implement more 43 base looks &amp; sell soul for a safety.</p>&mdash; Jayson Braddock (@JaysonBraddock) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/659166433339805696">October 28, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

BOB has only had 1.5 years. Needs at least another 1.5 years minimum. He shouldn't be in the hot seat.

13. Hey Now!

Oh, yes he should, if for no other reason than the state of the Texans' QB situation, which is far and away the worst in the NFL.

In a year and half, he has signed Ryan Fitzpatrick, drafted Tom Savage, traded for Ryan Mallet, traded Fitzpatrick, signed Brian Hoyer, inexplicably IR'ed Savage, released Mallett. That is a genuine clown show and all of it, combined, is most assuredly a fireable offense.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

How's that working out for them?
    lol

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also it doesn't make a lot of sense. Rick Smith isn't the one not putting them in a position to do well on the field. Rick Smith isn't the one that wanted to bring in Hoyer and Mallett. Rick Smith isn't the one who runs guys out of town left and right that could help the team based on petty BS that puts them in the dog house.

I know the narrative has been really anti-Rick Smith for a few years now, but I don't think this is something we can blame on him. He obviously has his flaws, and IMO should be fired, but this nonsense is 100% on Bill O'Brien and he should be shown the door as well.

Bring in a new GM next year, a real GM, and let them pick their own head coach.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I suspect he will get at least that

At the end of next season his seat will be hot and he will have the 2017 season or be out.

Rocket River

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It wouldn't be the first time a player has quit on the team because of the GM.

[​IMG]

I look at it like a typical work scenario. I have my day to day manager. That would basically be my coach. Then there's my actual hiring/firing supervisor. That's the GM.

I don't really interact with the supervisor that often, but my daily manager I have significant contact with. If my supervisor sets policies or practices that I disagree with, or punishes my co-workers or treats them unfairly, or otherwise makes me feel disdain for my employer and my job, there's not going to be a whole hell of a lot my manager can do to change that. Some people will react worse to that than others. In the scenario I encountered, I kept doing my job, but I wasn't doing it with much aplomb or vigor. Then the moment I had the opportunity, I bolted. Some of my coworkers just flat out stopped trying.

I know it's not a 1:1 scenario, but there's a kernel of plausibility to it.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">OBrien addressing relationship with Smith b4 being asked. &quot;It's a partnership. We meet and make decisions. Majority of the time we agree&quot;</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/659424750352138241">October 28, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bill O'Brien says he did not have a confrontation with Rick Smith about when to cut Ryan Mallett. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli) <a href="https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/659424756471590912">October 28, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;Mine says that it’s a partnership and any decisions that are made are with the concurrence of the GM,&quot; O'Brien on his contract. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli) <a href="https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/659426153967558656">October 28, 2015</a></blockquote>

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;Rick Smith and I both have respect for each other ... Decisions are made by the two of us. Require concurrence of the owner,&quot; O'Brien says.</p>&mdash; Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli) <a href="https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/659424508487577600">October 28, 2015</a></blockquote>

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

"It wasn't my fault because Rick agreed with my choices."