1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The offense should not run through Yao Ming next year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizkid83, Apr 11, 2010.

1. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Actually, Yes! Adelman couldn't solve Landry's fronting problem either.

2. choujie

choujie Member

Your ignore list no longer working? LOL.

I didn't say it's RA's fault. It could be the system, or it could be the personal, or a combination of both.

RA said last year if Tmac was on the team, fronting wouldn't have worked. But you seem to put all the blame on Yao.

Never mind there are many times one and a half or two men on him to prevent Yao from getting offensive boards. Dwight Howard tried to front Yao in their last meeting in 2nd half. But without a 2nd guy roaming close to Yao, Yao grabbed a couple offensive rebounds easily and scored, Magic was forced back to double Yao.

Fronting will be much less a problem with the ability of Martin/Ariza slashing to the basket. Last season Rockets couldn't penalize opponents for leave shot blockers outside the paint to front Yao.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I really dont believe Adelman will plan the offensive scheme around Yao until he has proven he is healthy and ready for a full season. Look for them to run sets at the beginning of the season where Yao is catching the ball in the high post, looking for cutters off of screens, and taking the shot if there is nothing else there. The Cavs ran the same scheme for years with Big Z.

The focus on Yao comming back from the website, Announcers, and interviews is marketing for next year. The Rockets organization is too smart to throw all their chips on the table for him even though it seems as if they are in the way they promote the team.

I dont know exact figures but I would guess Yao Ming being on this club over the years has brought in over half a billion dollars to this franchise from the Chinese market and there is no way Leslie A wants to see that money disapear overnight.

4. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Not surprise at all. Some lakers fans think Kobe should be their 3rd option.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You know, sometimes it is on the players to figure it out, or run the sets correctly.

Just an FYI, the reason the fronting works now (and it worked on Dream too) is that now, you can run a backside zone so you have a man in front and in back.

If a defense wants to shut one guy down, especially a low post guy, it is much easier than ever before.

You need to beat those guys over the top with rebounds and put backs.

Punish them from the outside, and the FT line, because that is where the holes are....

You are on probation, I am hoping that your understanding of the pro game has improved, we shall see.

DD

6. choujie

choujie Member

LOL. It will be a downgrade if I understand games and players like you do. Aren't you glad that Morey didn't sign Wafer with full MLE now? That was the first debate I really had with you.

7. abc2007

abc2007 Member

You know, the rocket should fire Adelman, and hire our beloved DD. ;) :grin:

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The YOFs are going to be worse than ever next year. It's going to be like the McGrady fans this year and the Francis fans before that who refuse to understand that their hero is not what he once was, except there are a LOT more of them. I'm already dreading it.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well, maybe you should work on your reading comprehension, I said $2 -$3 million tops.

Instead he got Trevor Ariza with the MLE, and that has pretty much fizzled...

DD

10. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I think if Yao's rehab goes well, I think he will have a solid 18 ppg and 9 rpg a night in 25 mins. of action.

Disclaimer: I'm not a YOF

11. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

18 and 9 in 25 minutes?.he averaged 20 and 9 in 32 minutes before, so what makes you believe he will average 18 and 9 in 7 less minutes and lets not forget his body is older now and has had more surgery.

12. realmustang

realmustang Member

So the Rockets shouldn't go through Yao because it's not effective. Last time I checked, an offense that went through Yao took the Rockets to the second round of the playoffs. Don't give me this BS about him playing limited minutes because it this point it's just pure speculation.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Huge generalization

14. realmustang

realmustang Member

So just because someone doesn't agree with you're way of thinking they are labeled YOFs. I hate those labels. I'm a Rockets fan and root for the team to be successful not just one player and that's why I think the Rockets should still run their offense through Yao. Quit labeling people just because they may not agree with your views.

15. choujie

choujie Member

LOL. I don't know if I should work on my reading comprehension or you should work on better memory:

"if I am the Rockets GM, I offer him the full MLE the first day I can...."

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=4390439&postcount=5

Aslo, Ariza at MLE is way better than Wafer at 2-3mil. 2-3mil will be a huge waste behind Martin/Ariza/Battier/Budinger. It has been proven this year, and will be proven again in the future. Wafer doesn't really have a future in NBA if he doesn't completely change his apporach to the game.

That being said, I'll give you credit for believing AB would improve his game by a lot. By the end of this season he has improved more than I expected, not all star level yet, but a big step forwad.

16. realmustang

realmustang Member

So some of you guys think that Yao should be used in the high post like Webber and Divak? Before you answer yes, think back to RAs first year and how he started the season using Yao in the high post. Now remember how many games it took before RA switched back to having Yao in the low post because Yao and the offense totally sucked at it. Yao does not have the skills to be a high post player.

17. choujie

choujie Member

LOL. Just ignore them. When they pull a "YOF" out, it usually means they don't have a good argument anymore.

I don't have problem being called a YOF though. Yao is a great player and a great person. To me, Rockets only fan isn't better than a YOF. A true YOF would put Yao's team's interest over Yao anyway.

18. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Yeah, but similar to Scola, Yao doesn't strictly rely on his athleticism ala T-Mac. His game is more finesse and no matter what, his jumper is gonna be smooth as the last time he played. The only part of his game which I'm worried about is his ability to counter fronting defense and his ability to stay infront of his man.

19. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

News Flash!!!

Yao did not get us to the second round.... It was a team effort and Yao was only one of many and he was not the leader of the bunch.

The leader of the bunch as much as I really don't like him was Ron Artest... Not so much by him putting up a lot of points, but by his mental toughness and passing that to the young bunch.

Brooks, Landry and Scola were playing like season veterans for some reason some of you don't remember that part...

Do you guys really think Yao is going to be able to just step on the court and start playing as if nothing ever happened... Come n let's get realistic.

Now a lot of you are saying hey Adelman, Yao is back and we need to just change everything that you have implemented and go back to the way that things were.. Come on guys... That just doesn't make sense...

Yao has to adapt to the team, not the other way around... They are the TEAM and like T-Mac, Yao is the outsider... Yao has to adapt to the new offense and their style of play.

For some reality has to sink in and as I stated before.... This is all deja-vu.. Bill Walton all over again.. Those who don't learn from History are doomed to repeat it.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations in his temple ere the battle is fought.

The general who loses a battle makes but few calculations beforehand.

Thus do many calculations lead to victory, and few calculations to defeat: how much more no calculation at all! It is by attention to this point that I can foresee who is likely to w in or lose.

-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Do you credit Mario Elie for leading us to our titles?

In the 4 games we won against Portland, Yao was our #1 option and led the team in scoring. I'd say that's leading us...

Ok, let's be realistic. Yao's production and impact on the game was not dependent on athleticism or power. It was based on being a 7'6 with a great shooting touch.

Neither of those attributes have changed. The only obstacle I see early on is fatigue, and those effects should be mitigated by fewer minutes.