1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The offense should not run through Yao Ming next year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizkid83, Apr 11, 2010.

1. llRainmanll

llRainmanll Member

Actually, getting the ball to Yao Ming was a pretty difficult task, after teams started fronting him. And when the hell did you see him average 27 points. That may of been of the course of a few games, but that definitely wasn't over the entire season.

2. dartherus

dartherus Member

That's why the Rockets need a very smart PG, better even than Lowry, whose court vision is not good in half court (and we can't even think on AB on half court)....

That's why something Houston could do is trying to get Hinrich foir peanuts (the easiest to get PG, who's intelligent and good enough for half court) it could be an overpriced for overpriced (Jared Jeffries + filler for Hinrich)....

The other option would be trying to get CP3, the most accesible superstar right now, due to Collinson playing welll in new orleans...

KMart+ draft pick+money or some extra sweetener could do the trick, don't you think?

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just trade Yao for Bosh and all these troubles of getting Yao the ball go away.

DD

4. petechillcutt

petechillcutt Member

Yao lead us to a 54 win season and the 2nd round of the playoffs last year with ron artest, battier, scola and freakin rafer alston for most of the season...

Even if he plays 15-20 minutes a game next year, you give him the rock when he's in there. Our team is so much better now it was, the scoring load will be spread among 6 players as opposed to "Yao and whoever can actually hit a 3".

5. dartherus

dartherus Member

Yao is an HUGE source of income, remeber, NBA is business mainly, Bosh (and most NBA players not named Kobe or Lebron) is nowhere near to Yao regarding income and marketing generated ....

That's why Rockets more intelligent decision is trying to get the best player ssupporting Yao with his strenghts and weaknesses....and that's why I have always suggested a very intelligent PG with good half court offense is needed for a team with Yao....

6. DaDakota

I understand it is a business, but if winning is more of a concern than money making, you trade him, his injury history and limitations on the NBA floor make him far too risky a player to invest $$$$ in him long term.

DD

7. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

I would like to see Yao and Brooks run the high pick and roll a lot to start games or quarters (much the same way the Spurs run Parker and Duncan). With Brooks speed he would attract enough attention that would give Yao plenty of open 16-18 footers which he can nail with good frequency. It is an easy way to get Yao shots without him having to work so hard for them. Then as Kevin Martin, Brooks and Lowry are drawing fouls and we get into the bonus near the end of quarters, you start posting Yao up and take advantage. I think this will help Yao be very efficient while limiting some of the wear and tear he will acquire during the course of the season.

8. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Bingo.Because he makes ton of $ we have to putup with him and his injuries forever?. Lets not forget, prior to Yao coming to Houston, the Rockets had the 5th biggest market in the NBA.

9. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

7'6 Chris Webber....

That would be a top 10 player all-time.

10. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

No, from a FAN perspective who gives a DAMN about income. We want to see the best team we can realistically have on the floor. If trading Yao can get us there then I hope the organization looks into it. The fact that he brings the owner a lot of income shouldn't mean **** to you. You want to see the best product on the court.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

12. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

A big man with his shooting touch doesn't come along often. Regardless of what many perceive, he is a dominant force down low. He warps the defense, having them make a decision on what defense and what they are willing to give up and take a chance on.

Should we slow the whole system down when he comes back? NO. But you always look for Yao. If he has position, if he has the advantage on the other teams bigs, give him the ball. Guards run like hell on the fast break, if the defense gets back he goes to the high post, low post, mixing everything up. Let him hang out on the elbow for a pass to the cutters and crash the boards. But the fact is there's not a center/forward that can stop him one-on-one. The fact is he has one of the highest shooting % on the team and league. The fact is Bosh is not Yao, and couldn't fit in Yao shoes even with a couple of rolls of toilet paper. The fact is the only reason why Les is comfortable going over the luxury tax and stocking up on such talented players is all the extra income Yao drives in from China. I wouldn't even take Bosh over Scola. And I trust D.M and Rick feel the same way.

13. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

REEKO,

I'm glad you posted that link I was looking for that info..

LeeBig, posted earlier about other teams that are bringing in lots of Revenue without an international player such as Yao..

The Ranking is:

1 Cleveland
    2 San Antonio
    3 Portland
    4 Utah
    5 L.A. Lakers
    6 Boston
    7 Detroit
    8 Phoenix
    9 Houston

Now Cleveland, has Lebron but what do the others have -

Correct me if i'm wrong but San Antonio, Portland and Utah are small market, but yet they bring in more revenue. San Antonio makes more because of the championships they have won, which is understandable.. So what is Protland and Utah success.

L.A, Boston, Phoenix and Detroit are big market places.. Plus they are riding high on past Championships within the last 5 years. But then again Detroit doesn't really have any high value names on their team, but they are still ranked pretty high on the list.

Phoenix still has Nash and Amare, so they have an MVP to help generate numbers.

So looking at the TOP 8, the one thing that they all have in common is that they have either won Championships in the past 5 years or went very deep into the playoffs. Looks to me as if CHAMPIONSHIPS = MONEY$$$$$

Now as a lot have stated Les sees Yao as his cash cow, but Les and Morey also have to make some decision from a finacial standpoint. Right now the Rockets look to be moving forward in a new direction from the Yao - T-Mac days and so far they are having great success with that and have gained a lot of respect from the media and other NBA teams.

Can they win a Championship if they add some key players, anything is possible.. But the one thing we do know is that, they are not going to win anything with the old style of play.

So now comes the tricky part... The style that the Rockets played this year does not fit in with Yao, so does Les and Morey invest in Yao to keep the international market??? If so and Yao gets hurt there's a huge possibility that he loses the home market. The city of Houston can turn on a team and it's owner real fast (ask Bud)..

Now again for Les this is all about 2 things, if he's trying to sell the team or keep the team. If he's trying to sell he may keep Yao to get a big return on his investement. If he plans on keeping the team he may go a different direction.

This is all about business on both ends Les and Yao, for those of you who thing that Yao wouldn't do this or wouldn't do that... Think again!!!!

Yao has been america long enough to understand that this is business and i'm sure he's listening to his agent also to get what is best for Yao.

When in Rome do as the Romans do.

T-Man..

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I feel they do see it that way! I don't expect Bosh, Amare or Wade in a Rocket's uniform next season. I do however expect Morey to make deals for a couple of players from the next level of talent. :p

15. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

16. dartherus

dartherus Member

How come being a fan would mean ignoring REALITY?

The reality is that NBA is BUSINESS, don't you understand that?

If you undestand reality, then you should now that Yao will stay, as long as he wants to, owners would never let him be traded or waived....

So, if you're realistic, then you know Yao is not moving, and if he's not moving, then as a fan, the best is to try to contribute with idea BASED ON REALITY, not based on wishful thinking, don't you think?

So if Yao stays, an INTELLIGENT (unlike Brooks) top notch PG is needed badly, that's why I suggested trades like KMart+ draftpick+some extra sweetener to get CP3...or trading overpaid for overpaid and giving Jeffries to get Hinrich... 2 examples of avaialbe PG who are good on half court offense, one a superstar, the other an overpaid, but likely a very useful player for the Rockets...

17. dartherus

dartherus Member

Because without Yao, franchise losses would have been far higher...notice the lack of playoff appearances in the past and the current world crisis....

18. petechillcutt

petechillcutt Member

No because a 7'6 Chris Webber could be Manute Bol. It's pointless to argue the "if he was taller, he'd be great" idea because no one really knows how that would affect players.

Spudd Webb would've been Michael Jordan if he wasn't 5'8 right?

19. choujie

choujie Member

It wasn't that big a problem in that season, Yao went from one side to another, and the ball was quickly swung around to get there. He had huge games against Warriors who fronted him all game long.

The fronting problem becomes bigger under RA for some reason.

20. DaDakota

Yeah, the fronting problem is all Rick Adelman's fault.....lol...

Yao sucks against the fronting because he is not aggressive enough, he is a lamb when he should be a wolf.

He could DOMINATE against fronting if he wanted to, get all the rebounds slam it home, kill the other teams.

Instead he gets flustered and doesn't rebound.

Yao's limiting factor is himself.

DD