1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The offense should not run through Yao Ming next year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizkid83, Apr 11, 2010.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

So you're saying Yao gets the ball in the low post and in the high post... yet he's not going to be the focus?

I think I need to quote the guy right above you.

2. Tiger23

Tiger23 Member

ur dead on man i think he should become that big man passer that RA had in Webber and Divac in Sac-Town.. hes an exceptional passer so I beleive this would workout greatly..

hes ALWAYS fronted and it ALWAYS lead to a bad entry pass that leads to a TO or the defender slaps it away and it leads to a TO too many times

Yao out high and bein a point center hittin back cutters settin high screen and rolls is ideal for Yao and this team with Ariza and Martin Brooks and Scola etc and the superstar PF whether its Bosh or Amare it would work awesome IMO

3. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Ya let's run our offense through a one legged man who might average 20 minutes a game..............

I don't think we have a choice but to run the offense through our Scoring PG(he has 2 healthy feet) and another injure prone SG.

We can only pray for the 10 minutes Yao plays our defense will look better.

4. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

When Yao is in the game, he is a magnet for the defense. Great! Yao is a superb passer. In fact, IMO he has better court vision that either of our point guards, and not just because of his height. However, in the coming season the Rockets finally have a bevy of shooter/scorers -- Brooks, Martin, Budinger and, to a lesser extent, Ariza and Scola -- to whom he can pass.

McGrady and Yao were effective when T-Mc wasn't hurt, but defenders could leave Hayes, Battier and Alston pretty much unguarded. Not now. Don't forget we also have Hill and Jeffries to protect Yao's flanks when need be.

5. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

On the comments that "offense was not the problem for the Rockets this year", I think it would be instructive to realize that the Rockets scored more this year than last solely because they played at a higher pace, not because the offense got better. In fact, their points per 100 possessions went down, from 108.4 to 107.4, and their eFG% went down from 50.1% to 49.1%.

6. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

That's why we're stacking our line-up up and down with good to great players. Plan A is to have Yao back healthy and contributing but if he is not, Morey also has a back-up plan--get one more elite or near-elite player in the PF position.

7. Tiger23

Tiger23 Member

never seen someone quote themselves b4, have some humility :grin:

8. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

And just to re-iterate, I'm not asking Yao to be Chuck Hayes out there on offense. He is going to get the ball in good scoring position playing off of it in RA offense, and he will be a better for it. I also like the running back analogy, Yao is the old reliable post option. But just like teams that run the ball all the time and have no other weapons (Ravens before last year), it wears down back and the offense become predictable and you have to have defense winning the game for you. Not saying we shouldn't post Yao up if the defense doesn't setup to stop it, just that we should try to throw it in every time down the floor. Heck, maybe we can actually help Yao reserve some energy and let him have a healthier season :knocking on wood right now.

Well, it is a little less efficient (.8%?) but it still seems to me that just having Chuck Hayes in the starting line up and Ariza trying to be the man is going to solve it self with Yao and Martin in the line up instead. Once again, not saying don't go to Yao, but rather watch how Webber and Divac worked in Sacramento and Yao can be that guy.

#28 wizkid83, Apr 11, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  9. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

offense should not run through yao because the teams gets too accustomed to him and then the offense becomes stagnant once he is gone. that and also, we won't have a guy like mcgrady making plays for us.

i think the real problem is, yao really is the best option. at 7'6, his hook shot/ turn around jumper is just unstoppable. you ain't gonna get a much higher percentage shot.

10. elindio23

elindio23 Member

i still think he should be our closer

11. teampunjabi

teampunjabi Member

This...with the development of AB and now Kevin Martin, we dont need to force feed it. But if its there mos def we will give it to him.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He doesn't get it EVERY possession....a lot less, and he needs to work on his rebound and put backs.

No way, too many turnovers...he can be one of the options but not the main one.

DD

13. devin23

devin23 Member

Ok, so you're telling me we shouldn't use yao who's the best low post scorer in the game, who demands double and triple teams as the focal point in our offense???

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not as the focal point, but as one of several.

The Dump it to Yao every possession offense is dead.

1. He is not capable of staying healthy, so you can't pretend like he will.

2. It is to easy to defend, more variety is needed.

3. The team finally has a handle on Rick Adelman's system, it is better than the Yao Ming oriented one.

Clearly, he is a huge part of the offense, just not the focal point....in fact, there would be no single focal point.....which is the beauty of it.

5 men capable of scoring the ball....oh my gravy !

DD

16. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

The most important part of your post....

This team has GROWN and they moved FORWARD without T-Mac and Yao; so bring back Yao to be the focal point of this team is unfair to Yao and to the team.

17. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I completely agree, but most won't.

There are a couple of things people here can't reconcile, because they conflict with the Morey-as-a-god mindset, but I think Daryl has done a good job of explaining where his head is, but:

1) Morey said last year was Yao's best before the playoffs & after (cue screaming).

2) Management is "all in" with Yao, and Morey is confident about Yao's recovery.

3) Morey is all about efficiency. He-who-is-most-efficient gets the ball most (very JVG there, I'm not sure how RA truly trusts data as a managing tool - but his thoughts seem more fluid here than he was elsewhere).

4) In the playoffs everything changes. You have to play more in the post than most teams want to these days. How many people think Brooks and Martin are going to be able to penetrate and finish or get calls in the WCF's?

Uh, yeah. If Yao's effective then those guys will drain shots. We must make Yao effective no matter what.

But I don't think we'll see a predominately inside out game next year until the playoffs. I think in many ways RA will still be coaching on the fly early next year.

18. DUHK

DUHK Member

I'M SOO EXCITED FOR NEXT SEASOONNNNN!!!!

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

One thing I don't think has been discussed, Morey has said on numerous occasions that Yao is the most efficient scorer in the league when he is in the bonus.

Obviously if that is true, when we are in the bonus we want to go through Yao.

The question becomes, is going through Yao the most efficient way to get into the bonus?

And how do we manage Yao's playing time in a way that maximizes the percentage of his minutes that are spent in the bonus?

20. DUHK

DUHK Member

We have so many options offensively that the thought of next season brings happy tears to my eyes. Also, teams can't just do lay up drills on us when Yao comes back.