1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The NFL's 5 Most Overrated Players

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by aristophanes34, Aug 29, 2009.

1. TheGreat121

TheGreat121 Member

where is brett farve and who hasnt gotten ranned over by the bus

2. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Cassell I would put on this list but Cutler has shown to be a very good QB, one of the best? No, but I'd put him in the same category of Schaub where he has the potential to be in the top five in a few years.

No mention of Roy Williams or Brandon Marshall?

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I guess you can argue cutler hasn't been great, but still, btw is there a link to this, or did the OP write it?

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Shoddily written article in list format, barely edited, (see e.g. the phrase "laughing stalk"), obviously by written by an amateur = probably comes from the Bleacher Report.

5. aristophanes34

No link. I wrote it.

6. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Idiotic list.

7. aristophanes34

Don't give me so much credit. I am way worse than an amateur. The laughing-stock thing... I wish I had a better excuse than strange things happen after a six-pack Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. Sorry, dude.

8. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Bush has played in 5 more games than VY has in their 3 year career. WTF are you talking about?

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

yep the back surgery really slowed him down quite a bit.

That list seems to have some glaring ommissions......don't all the writers point for Culter fit even more so for tony romo?

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What's a "laughing stalk"?

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I know Urlacher has lost some tread, but how many LBs in the NFL would win a head-on collision with Jerome Bettis, especially when he has some forward momentum.?

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Cutler was strong last night, I know its the pre season

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

really? who's asking that question? other than you, i mean. did chicago ask it when they sent 2 1s and a 3 to denver? is that the going rate for a system QB?

they won 3 games where the defense gave up 30 or more points (39-38, 34-32, 34-30). in their 8 losses, the defense gave up, on average, 33.4 points/game, including 41, 31, 30, 30 and 52. that's an astounding 8 games in which the defense gave up 30+ points. *8*. in fact, they held opponents to less than 20 points a mere 4 times.

the fact they finished 8-8 in a minor miracle.

14. Major

Major Member

Lots of people have asked whether he can have the same success without Shanahan and that system. Just because you don't hear it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

They certainly had a wretched defense. They also have had an average average offense under Cutler. 6th in the AFC last year - sccored less points than powerhouse offenses like Tennessee and the NY Jets, for example. In 2008, they were 9th in the AFC. Last year was of course their best with Cutler, and their offense scored less than they did under a medley of QBs in 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005.

Shanahan's offenses have been consistently good-to-great with revolving players at QB and RB. Of those offenses, the ones under Cutler have scored less than those with guys like Plummer and Griese - of course, they also had more issues at RB the last few years as well. Which, again, leaves the open question as to how much of Cutler's numbers benefitted from being in that system.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

oh, good - if lots of people have asked it, you shouldn't have any trouble producing one or 10 of them here, right?...

the two aren't unrelated, major; a wretched defense - one that gives up 30 or more points in half your games - is going to take a toll on an offense.

i've said repeatedly cutler didn't play well in their 3-game collapse. *but there never would have been a 3-game collapse had he not played so well in the first 13*. that's a 2-to-4 win defense, at best. only detroit and st. louis gave up more points last year, and they combined for 2 Ws. that they were 8-5 and in position to win a division is a credit to the offense and jay cutler.

you can certainly toss *some* of the blame on cutler for the collapse. but to try and to saddle the entire thing on him, as the OP implied, is simply irresponsible, and even moreso when you do it with complete disregard for games 1-13.

and defense. you forgot defense, football being a team game and all.

average rank of denver's defense ('99-'05; '07-'08):
    griese ('99-'02): 11.25 (7th, 24th, 8th, 6th)
    plummer ('03-'05): 7.6 (4th, 4th, 15th)
    cutler ('07-'08): 24 (19th, 29th)
    (in 2006, when plummer/cutler split time, they ranked 14th)

griese/plummer played with clinton portis, ed mccaffery, rod smith, shannon sharpe. and they played with, 2000 and 2005 aside, a defense that finished no lower than 8th. and even 15th (in 2005) is (slightly) above average and certainly not - let's say: 29th.

cutler had weapons last year (marshall and royal) and took advantage. but his 2nd leading receiver in 2007 was tony scheffler. his leading rusher was selvin young. last year, it was peyton hills, who totaled a whopping 343 yards. and his defense ranked 19th and 29th.

but sure, he "led" his team to a late-season collapse.

16. Nero

Nero Member

No. What point does the writer even make, other than the team cratered at the end of the season. Cutler didn't have a broken hand in the middle of the season, and half his offense wasn't decimated by injuries. And Dallas-hate all you want, but Romo is not 'bone-headed'. Now that Owens is gone, he won't have that specter hanging over his head of having to 'please' TO by throwing him more passes than he throws to Witten and everybody else. Oh and Dallas does not play in a weak division.

So, no. And definitely no 'more so'.

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Matt Cassell, not even close.

2 draft picks for a backup QB at best. I'd be weary of any deal or person coming from New England.

18. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Cutler has never had a "above .500 season" and he has never made the playoffs yet he's the second coming of jesus.

He's overrated. He's also part of the biggest choke in Denver history losing 3 games straight and the last one in blow out style to my Chargers...

He's overrated. He's not bad but overrated.

I'm waiting for someone to say Rivers so I can completely own them, or LT..

19. Major

Major Member

Sure. Josh McDaniels clearly had concerns, or he wouldn't have been trying to trade for another young, franchise QB. And the original poster who listed Cutler in his overrated list. There's 2. If you want more, go find them yourself. They are out there.

I don't disagree. I never said Cutler was terrible. I said it's an open question whether he benefited from being in a system that has turned mediocre QBs into good ones in the past.

This is a perfect example of what I was referring to in the other thread - you responding to what you want to read instead of what someone actually posts. I posted nothing about his responsibility in a late season collapse or that he was terrible or anything of the sort, yet that's all you focused on because that's what you wanted to read.

20. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Ray. Lewis.