1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The next week and a half are important for the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocksMillenium, Dec 27, 2003.

1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

It's not make or break or anything, but it's a chance for the Rockets to grab a serious hold of their playoff positioning. The next 4 games are at home, and all are winnable. The Rockets play Seattle, Philadelphia, Utah, and Golden State. With the way the Rockets have been playing defense, and with the way the offense has come around, the Rockets should be looking to win all 4. 3-1 would be decent, but the Rockets should look to go 4-0 during that stretch. The loss to Denver was tough, but the next week and a half the Rockets could improve to 20-13 and be in great position.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Its refreshing to know that the entire season hinges on 4 games. Every game is important to a lotto team trying to make the playoffs. In the west, other than la,sa,dallas,and sac, the other teams are pretty even. Port,Hou,Memphis,Denver,Seattle,Minny, and Utah will be bttling it out for thos other spots even though for some reason i think Minny will win the division. They just need to get better every game.

3. RocksMillenium

Did you even read my post? Try reading the entire post, then respond.

4. montelwilliams

Rockets always hover around 4 games above .500. They are too scared to go the next level and have a better record than that. Rockets will favored to win all 4, but they won't. They'll go 2-2 or 3-1.

5. RocksMillenium

3-1 would mean that they would be 5 games over .500, so that would be going to the next level. The Rockets are scared, if they were they wouldn't have won in LA against the Lakers. They just need to get better. This team will be fine. I would like them to win the next 4 at home to improve their playoff chances, but also, thinking about it, it would help their confidence to. This team is getting better, the offense is starting to show signs of improving. The next 4 games aren't the end of the world because this team is resilient. BUT, winning the next 4 games would not only give this team a decent playoff cushion, but could possibly help push them to another level.

6. RocksMillenium

Correction, I should have said the Rockets AREN'T scared. Also, the Rockets aren't a lotto team, they had the best record of the non-playoff teams.

7. montelwilliams

No, they always lose the next game when they are 5 games above .500. I said, they hover AROUND 4 games above .500. If they are 5 games above .500, they lose the next game. If they are at 3 games above .500, thye win the next one.

They'll finish 43-39 this year, just like last year, and be #10 seed in WC.

8. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

I also agree that these 4 home games are big and would be a solid boost for the team. I don't want to see anything like what happened last year when we won that emotinal game against the Lakers and then went down hill from then. Todays lost was tough but we played good enough.

9. RocksMillenium

That's how every team in the NBA but the Top 5 teams are. So, using that logic, Minnesota, Sacramento, Dallas, San Antonio and the LA Lakers will be in, and everybody else will be 43-39 and the #10 seed in the playoffs. Stupid logic, the Rockets will be fine.

10. montelwilliams

Rockets did it last season, always hovering around 4 games above .500. That's when I first noticed it. They're doing it again this season. I first noticed it at the Toronto game, then at the Portland and Utah road games. They would have gone to the next level if they had won these. But, they didn't.

11. Charvo

Charvo Member

Schedule looks favorable without any 2nd of back to backs against good teams. New York and Boston are average teams at best. Those are the 2nd games of back to backs.

12. Sane

Sane Member

4-0?

I expect them to win 8 of the next 10, putting us at 24-15.

Our upcoming games are easy as hell, we better put them away easily or we're going to be caught in a struggle late in the season.

Memphis, Golden State, Portland and Seattle are playing excellent ball.

Lakers, Dallas, Sacramento, Minnesota, Spurs are locks. There's only 3 spots remaining. We're fighting:

Denver
    Memphis
    Golden State
    Portland
    Seattle

Are we better than 3 of those teams?

13. Man

Man Contributing Member

Well yeah..I think we could have won 5 straight.

Denver..we have beat them and we should have won..the game in denver a couple hours ago.
    Memphis..don't know.
    Golden State we have beat them.
    Portland we have beat them.
    Seattle..we'll see on Monday.

I don't know...

Rockets need consistency and just play smarter! Improving for sure...

14. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

Utah and Seattle(Rashard Lewis) pose the only threat to us.

15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

This is mostly true when you consider their record over the past 4 years. However, I still look for them to finish in the 43-48 win range. Whether that gets them into the playoffs, I just don't know. Somewhere down the line this season the EG debacle will catch up with them and that's when I feel that their playoff chances will be made or broken.

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

ARE we better? That's the million dollar question. You are right on the money here. The Rockets should be lumped in with Denver, Memphis, Golden State, Portland and Seattle. That's 6 teams fighting for 3 playoff spots. Somebody is definitely going to be left on the outside looking in come April.

17. annthuyn

annthuyn Member

i'd say memphis and portland, along with seattle are a threat to us. beating them once doesn't mean much because they have beaten us too. consistency is a huge factor.

18. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

These next 4 games are very tough. Seattle, Utah, and Golden state are all very difficult to beat. This is a tough stretch... We would be doing well to win 3 out of 4. I would be ecstatic if we win 4 of 4...

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Another reason these next 4 games are so important is that 3 of them are against Western Conference teams that are right below the Rockets in the standings. Winning those matchups would give Houston more breathing room.

The next 2 months are crucial for the Rockets' playoff hopes. January has a ton of road games, but they're almost all against Eastern teams which makes them winnable. February is almost all home games, and only a couple are against top Western squads. If they can build enough of a cushion by March, there will be a much smaller chance of a late season collapse like last year.

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

The next four games could be great for easing into the rotation the new players we'll get in the major trade that I hope our thus far imbecilic front office finally pulls off tonite.