1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The next Ryan Leaf in this draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by krocket, Mar 24, 2005.

1. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

It makes Aaron Rodgers sound more like Joe Montana than Ryan Leaf.

Wasn't Leaf's dad a football coach? How could he have been such a malcontent.... and nobody knew it?

3. kevwun

kevwun Member

The people at Washington knew it. It was either covered up well or ignored by the teams.

4. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

All mention of Ryan Leaf was stripped from his high school's record books before he even finished at WSU.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think the whole Ryan Leaf debacle is overblown. The reason there's so much press about it was because (A)there was a debate about who's better in the draft between Leaf and Manning(in which I seemingly remember more "experts" picking Leaf), and (B)the Chargers gave up a king's ransom to move up one measly pick to obtain the guy.

Had the Cards that year kept the pick and got him, I think he just goes down in history as one of countless top QB busts in the draft.

As for Benson, does any Texas fans know anything about this? I haven't read anything in this regards. And when watching the Rose Bowl, Benson was the reason why Young had such an awesome game. Michigan was stacking the line big time to stop Benson.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I got to think that this guy doesn't really know anything about Benson except what's on paper. There aren't too many backs that get so many yards after initial contact. Benson rarely gets taken down on the first attempt. He's got decent hands. He most certainly is not the 2nd coming of Ricky Williams. He's already gotten rid of the dreads (although I honestly don't think having dreads has anything to do with anything) and has simply shown much more maturity than Ricky did coming out of college.

In the Rose Bowl, it was Michigan's game plan to make Vince Williams beat them and not allow Benson to get loose. They concetrated on it so much that they overpursued on Benson on the play-action leaving Young to get those huge chunks of yards. There simply wasn't enough yards to go around. I tend to think that 92 yards against OU isn't that bad either.