1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Need for a "Veteran Leader" Type?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 24, 2012.

1. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

maybe morey's not ready to part with kmart - morey's moneyball love child - and the key piece in the whole tmac trade.

maybe mchale liked what he saw from martin but the team chemistry wasn't right. (pulled that out of my ars)

martin's not my favorite player, but he's a sneaky scorer and the rockets can run pays to get him the ball in spots where he can score.

he IS an efficient scorer, is he not? could kmart be a leader?

2. anchel

anchel Member

A veteran leader like Derek Fisher?

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

4. roxxy

roxxy Member

Derrick Fisher would be nice. Can help break down tape with Lin and the young guys. You can have Lin and Fish play together on the court for a few minutes during the games. He was a great veteran presence for OKC.

5. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Jowan Howard. The curse is broken!

6. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

Fisher is nice, but I doubt if he likes Houston at all.
    Another PF are you sure?

7. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

White isn't quite NBA ready yet, a mid priced smart and hard working vet PG or SF would be nice.

8. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

FFS ..Amare ,Dantoni , now Fisher AGAIN were you ppl not paying attention last year .. ?? WTF

9. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

Fisher can't help us to win more than 3 games... We sign him to be a mentor.... Just like kings signed Hayes and Wolves signed brad miller...

10. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I don't want to trade for a veteran leader, just let the young guys figure it out, it will make them stronger in the end. If we go ultra young, it will be interesting to see who emerges as our leaders. I see Lin, Parsons, and White(if he gets playing time) as potential leaders. Maybe even D-Mo, he has a lot of confidence. If we really do go with all young guys, I can see where a strong bond may develop with these guys. That would be fun to watch.

11. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

A veteran leader will help them develop MUCH faster...

12. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

To be honest, I think white will be in D-league. I do think he has more potential than Jones, but he simply just isn't that ready to the NBA yet.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Arguable.... Eating up roster space
    So McHale, Sampson and the other guys are not veterans?

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Where do Lakes fit all those rosterees? Nash to Pau = scary. Deal ain't gonna happen.

15. kinein

kinein Member

Uninterested, Lin Parsons White Donatas ~ already like their attitude and I know Lin has been a leader all his life. Parsons had been trying to step up and lead earlier before Lin came and he was the first and only Rocket at a certain point that had even met and spent time with Lin - when Lin first came. They are friends and knew each other pre-linsanity.

I can see White and Donatas really meshing well with Lin and Parsons.

Though I'd favor a vet that had a great team attitude, tons of energy, a Ray Lewis/Metta/T.O/Tebow - gym and nutrition ethic - and a desire never to quit or give up.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

When does the no-longer-all-in-for-Dwight(/Drew) come into play?

When does this roster get locked-in (as much as DM the GM can ever lock a roster in)?

Yes, I agree I want these guys to play in (or out, but to p-l-a-y) but probably some on-the-court vet presence would help in their development.

17. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

Mchale said he learned more from his team-mates more than his coach... And he has been asking Morey to sign a vet even if the team goes young... If you looked at minny. Before Brad went to their team, their offensive system was simply a mess. Kings' players' defensive awareness also got improved, after signed Hayes.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

People, is Morey honing the roster to be completely Dwight friendly? He would be the go to guy here, the mentor, it would be his team. Everything would be tailored to having him succeed. Plus the young players might have obvious upsides. And there is the cap space to offer a max contract next summer. Is Morey 3 steps above us all?

19. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

A beast doesn't necessary to be a good mentor... Physic has an low upside, but not mentally no. Spurs can play bust players in a solid level... and a vet doesn't necessary to have playing time on the regular season. But it would be nice to have one to play in the practice game.

20. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Knicks.

I second the idea of Brian Scalibrine, he practices hard and should push them to grow there.