1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The NBA Player Migration to Europe?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by thumbs, Jul 21, 2008.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Josh Childress, if he signs in Europe, may trigger a trend that ultimately will cripple the NBA.

Childress, struggling with lack of offers resulting from restricted free agency, might skirt the issue by signing with a Greek team. Luol Deng may do the same.

Bostjan Nachbar already has signed with a Soviet team; Primoz Brezec wih an Italian team; and Nenad Krystic with another European team. Yes, these are all European players who are going back home, but the talent pool the NBA has always enjoyed is drying up.

Europe holds some unique advantages -- free housing, free cars and no taxes depending on the country and the team. The euro is more valuable than the dollar, but when the three factors I just mentioned are tossed in, wow, the NBA can't compete except for the highly overpaid superstars.

I don't mean to pontificate, but I'm really wondering if we will soon be buying tickets to see a watered down NBA.

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A Soviet team...?

[​IMG]

3. compacer

compacer Member

We might see these sorts of move more and more often especially after the marketability of foreign teams increases. Right now we are seeing this movement based on monetary considerations alone. This could become a greater problem with the marketability of these foreign teams increase. Cause in the end basketball is a business and players are going to make decisions based on which job is most appealing based on both monetary needs and future worth.

4. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

The sky is falling!

5. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Hmmm...most American players will stay in the NBA because it is better competition and more of a market

6. mazyar

mazyar Member

Blame the bad economy and our poor political decision making.

This thread belongs in the Dabate and Discussion forum.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL - I'd like to see these european countries where no taxes are paid.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, that tax statement is really strange. Yous don't know taxes, or gas prices, until you've lived overseas.

Anyway, the reason it would appeal to me is:
    (1) many fewer games
    (2) no idiotic music playing during the games
    (3) interesting travel for a couple of years
    (4) even Nachbar could find groupies, so a non ugly
    could be like Wilt Chamberlain or some such. At least
    a Kemp-like alpha.

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The people pay taxes. For some reason, basketball players don't. I've seen it mentioned in several articles.

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Check out the bold print, Sam.

11. SamFisher

He's still paying taxes. His club is outlaying them for him. It's the same as witholding on your american paycheck.

Trust me - there is no tax exempt status for basketball players in europe.

12. SamFisher

From a German basketball website - this invalidates Rockets_Dynasty/Kill Bill Pana/BBall Scientist/Spanwagon/apollo/Nine Gates/BEXCELANT/poprocks posts to the contrary about Greek teams witholding paychecks to American players that we were arguing about last week:

http://www.spinbb.net/english-pages/news/newsandpress/article/2/presentation.html?no_cache=1

Agents at an NBA Players Association seminar receive information on the network of unions in Europe that can provide legal support to agents and their players and specific problem areas in each country.

Almost 120 agents were in attendance at the NBPA's agent certification seminar in New York to receive information on the collective bargaining agreement, arbitration results and information from a variety of related authorities.

NBA agents are certified by the NBA players association and must attend these seminars in order to maintain their certification.

A presentation from UBE was solicited during a meeting last September in order to provide information on the situation in Europe to NBA agents, many of whom also represent players in Europe.

The presetation included an overview of the players associations in Europe and a listing of the common types of problems in some of the countries. For example, in Germany after a serious injury a players full salary is only guaranteed for 6 weeks if a special provision is not included in the contract; in France, contracts are never "net" of income taxes; in Italy, the only "guaranteed contract" is the standard contract in the CBA; in Spain, there is a strong effort by the union to eliminate the participation of naturalized Spainards; and in Greece, teams are allowed not to pay players for up to 3 months.

A large number of agents indicated that they were suffering from these types of problems in Europe and welcomed at least the beginning of an effort to organize players collectively in order to help professionalize the business.

13. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

(5) Smoking cigarettes on the bench.

14. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

it's a natural progression due to basketball's growing global appeal. it's the second most popular sport in the world so it's only natural that similar to soccer there will eventually be multiple big leagues competing for the same top players. when europe and asia get to the point where they can sign top nba talent is when this is going to get really good. then we'll have a competition similar to the champions league where the top 4 nba teams are competing against the top 2 or 3 teams from russia, greece, china, japan, croatia, spain, france, germany, etc.

15. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

Another reason why we might have an NBA World League in the near future. With teams based in Europoean countries mixed in with the teams from here.

16. Dei

Dei Member

National Basketball Association World League... What sounds wrong here?

Not gonna happen.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You know what?

That doesn't bother me as much as some other people. I like the idea of International Competition. I love Basketball and If we can all share it and compete at an equal level I think it only makes the sport greater. Imagine how cool it would be to have a True world champion. It's a stretch but to out of the realm of possibility.

18. Christopher

Christopher Member

It sucks as an NBA fan because the move in this directionhas already started and following a number of sports, its a move that really screws things up.

The NBA salary cap will come under pressure, the prestige of the NBA will take a hit....and it just goes right down the line.

The only thing the NBA can do long term is look to bring Euro teams into the NBA, but thats still a bit down the track.

As I said in another thread, it happens in stages and it happens quickly. Teams start going after fringe NBA players. Then a team goes all out to get an all star, and they all want one. Then the next stage will be targeting the very top players.

Reasoning about why it wont happen, saying NBA players will want to play in the best League or that financially Euro teams dont make enough money, it just doesnt stand up.

At the end of the day its a bunch of rich European millionares with huges amounts of disposable income. Sport is their hobby, players are their trophies and if they want a player they will throw money at him until he cant turn it down.

Someone already pointed out that there are less games to play overseas, well there is also less pressure, less of spotlight and less media exposure. There is generally less responcibility put on a player and ontop of all of that, they get to travel around europe easily and cheaply, something some people enjoy doing.

Lets hope that by the time we are getting towards decent players leaving the NBA that some plans are in place to bring the top Euro teams into the NBA and we dont even get a hint of allstars leaving the league.

19. Christopher

Christopher Member

I would love to know the way it would be set up though. I mean, it will be the NBA with the addition of Euro teams, but do you give Euro teams there own division and do the expansion in one large go or what?

Also, how does it work with travel times and costs. Can you still have an 82 game season?

Also, why do I already hate the French team? :D

20. lalala902102001

I don't see the top stars of the NBA ever choose European teams over the NBA. However, for the mid-level players like a Josh Childress, the European teams could easily offer them more money than any NBA team would. Money is always important for professional players. With the weak dollar, I expect this trend to continue.