1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The NBA Is Struggling To Survive In Both Houston And Indianapolis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Nook

Nook Member

It depends on how long huge segments of the city cannot watch the games. It is sustainable for a few years.... 5-10 years of no television and the answer is probably not.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and that would surprise you for a team that hasn't made the playoffs (in a league where more teams make the playoffs than don't) for the last 3 seasons?

my guess is you'd find that most franchises that have had as limited playoff success as the Rockets over the course of the last 5 years have ratings that aren't stellar.

But I'd like to make a point here....you can be entirely right about TV ratings not being great....but the larger point of the article...that "The NBA is struggling to survive in Houston" is an absolute joke.

3. nono

nono Member

I do actually.

Well it seems then that Les would rather have this than earning less in a full stadium. I think it's understandable.

The value of the franchise is irrelevant to this discussion. Why should i care about the value of the franchise ?

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Because you're absolutely incorrect, and it's probably the single most relevant factor in a discussion in a thread that includes the words: "The NBA is struggling to survive in Houston."

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

exactly it implies that the nba can't survive in houston therefore having to move when in reality the city the team is in adds (or subtracts) to said team's value

6. nono

nono Member

The NBA isn't struggling to survive at all in Houston. Which is obvious from the profits the Rockets make despite the stadium being like a ghost town is some games.

All I'm saying is that for a supposedly exciting team they really struggle to fill out their seats.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That was the tittle of the article. Obviously the rockets are making a lot of money.

My point is the rockets have terrible ratings so les needs to use some pull and get comcast to come down on its demands.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i'm not denying that. sky-high ticket prices along with priority seating for corporate personhood, as well as poor seating for the average fan will have that effect. I'm just saying that blacking out much of the local population will only add to declining attendance and interest.

There's a lot of things wrong with the way the organization is run from a fan standpoint, but apparently, not a business standpoint.

9. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

how many times have we sold out so far? if a lot, i would agree with you. if just a couple or a handful, it is still tough to change the whole picture.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Isn't Comcast Sports Net co-owned by the Rockets, Astros and Comcast?

At any rate, the obvious issue is not being able to see the games on TV. If Comcast weren't so bloody bad, their competition wouldn't be such an issue.

11. tested911

tested911 Member

Put the Rockets game back on "Public" TV. No need for Cable or Sat. Just straight Rabbit ears.. Just like the Texans, it would pull in more fans. It's what we had in the championship years.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

no. if something can't be turned into a commodity, packaged, sold, and profited on directly, it has no value to society ;)

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i'm being reminded of the days when i walked around town and saw nothing but bird/magic/jordan jerseys pre 94

14. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i agree completely. if rox is making money, alot, it definitely has no survival issue at all.

15. nono

nono Member

No one really explained to me why the garbage Astros team is generating more radio discussion than the Rockets.

16. DBRox

DBRox Contributing Member

I wish but sadly its a thing of the past.

17. pass_to_Hakeem

I guess bringing in Jeremy Lin didnt bring as many fans to the Toyota Center as expected. If "Les" is gonna raise ticket prices each year then he ought to make sure he has players the "fickle fans" in Houston are gonna wanna watch !! The fans in Houston are VERY fair weathered YET I dont blame them for NOT wanting to spend 5,475.00 for a ticket to see a ****ty team!! Also it would help if say TNT or ESPN could maybe drop 1 or 2 of the weekly Miami/ Laker games that are on National TV a week and schedule in a Rockets game here n there

18. DBRox

DBRox Contributing Member

Their season opener is Sunday... not sure why anyone cares though.

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Again, it's the best attendance for the team since 2008-09 -- they're doing something right.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

on espn no less. its the most hype they will get all year. i was ready for the astros to start because i thought it would pretty much clear the way for the comcast deal to get settled