1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The NBA Is Struggling To Survive In Both Houston And Indianapolis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 29, 2013.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Comcast is the biggest problem.

Some of the best Rockets TV moments were when they were on channel 20 and it was Bill and Calvin.

The old Rockets always felt like they were part of the community. Dream being here in college, Maxwell eating at Lubys or Whataburger with the fans, Steve Francis drinking at the bars

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

So basically low TV RATINGS doesn't necessarily correlate LACK of PROFIT. Which is basically what counts, the profit.

(Correct me if I'm off) If a sport can only get 5,000 viewers a month but it profits $10 million a year, who cares if it doesnt beat out the Devil Rays or Nashville Predators tv numbers, if its generating a nice profit then its really not "struggling"

Obviously thats not sustainable in the long run, but I know a Rockets playoff push and especially an appearance can get more eyes on the TV if it was more readily available to be watched

3. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO if you own a team, and you sell your tickets at a very high rate, and someone is buying them.... yeah, you don't really care that much whether the people really show up.

You just simply do not know what you are talking about and your argument has morphed from it being a bad city for basketball, to one where real fans cannot afford to go, to the fact tickets are purchased but not enough fans show up being doom and gloom.

Also your "duck dynasty" comment only made your ignorance more apparent.

4. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

The Rockets don't GIVE season tickets to anyone. The Rockets SELL season tickets to PAYING customers. A novel idea, right? And WTF does Houston have to do with Duck Dynasty (Louisiana) when, um, I guess NOLA is doing A-OK based on this analysis?

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Doesn't matter...businesses make commitments to season tickets...the base of season tickets is where the bulk of attendance comes from in arena sports like basketball and hockey. Hell, almost all of Reliant Stadium is sold out through season tickets. Not walk up sales or individual game sales.

Depending on the size of the business, they typically pick and choose which they're going to commit to, given the high prices associated with going to a professional sporting event these days.

But in cities like Portland...there are no other options. If you're interested in client entertainment through pro sports you have exactly one choice: The TrailBlazers.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Oh, and the Rockets' average attendance (16,555) and percentage of capacity filled (91.8%) in 2012-13 is the highest for the team since 2008-09. Upgrade from each of the past three years. Here's the data.

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

I have no doubt a continued TV impasse would have some impact, but those of you correlating it to weakened attendance thus far are simply wrong.

7. OTMax

OTMax Member

New member here and great 90s fan and love the Worrell & Murph duo so maybe getting them back together would help some? :) Other then nostalgia, they just have great chemistry!

8. nono

nono Member

Apologies to everyone for the duck dynasty comment. People in Houston are actually very nice and I've had an awesome experience here so far. I just said that more in anger than anything else.

"Give" was perhaps a wrong word to use but don't you think the organization could do a way better job in selecting which people to give tickets to ? Surely there is a large amount of loyal fans in this huge city ?

9. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

unless reaching the capacity, i don't see the logic behind your argument.

10. Pete the Cheat

why is he using a factor of x2 when the homes that have comcast are closer to 25% of the market?

couple that with the fact most people who own comcast are probably watching fishing shows or foxnews, or some other program that mouth breathers might enjoy

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the fact that harden is flying under most of this city's radar will only add to his legend when its all said and done

12. MadMax

no...they charge ridiculous prices...and there are corporations (for the most part) willing to pay that, mostly because it's good for client entertainment and they can write them off as a business expense.

they're not choosing who to give tickets to...they're setting a price, and people and/or corporate entities are buying them at that price. they don't put conditions on who can buy their tickets...you don't do that if you want to sell them and actually make the money you're seeking.

13. nono

nono Member

Those must be the tickets sold because I can't believe that for a second. The stadium is half empty when I'm watching the games.

14. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

That is what I was thinking. The question is, is that sustainable?

15. MadMax

The Toyota Center is smaller....so they have less tickets to sell.

A sellout on any given night is smaller than a sellout on any given night at another arena....so over the course of the season, that discrepancy adds up.

16. Pete the Cheat

based on your join date noone is reading your comment anyway. no harm done.

1 person likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

You don't live in Houston do you?

You really don't know what you are talking about. Yes, they are bought by Fortune 500 corporations that are head quartered in Houston (you know, duck dynasty folks) and they pay a heavy price for the right to those seats. The franchise is consistently in the top 5-10 most valuable in the NBA even though the Rockets are not an elite team on the floor.

18. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's the same standard used for every other team in the NBA.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Comcast has 40% of the market so you can take the current ratings and divide them by .4 or 2.5. So you could take the ratings and multiply them by 2.5 or lets make it 3 even. That still would put the rockets ratings in the bottom half of the league.

20. mario_v

mario_v Member

What does that duck dynasty comment even mean? I dont watch that show so someone please fill me in.