1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The myth that the Rockets would suck in 2013-14 if they lost Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zergling, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Zergling

Zergling Member

There are many reasons he'd leave us even if we'd still be a decent team. There are marketability reasons. It's Houston--not Los Angeles or New York. Goran Dragic might be a great PG, but he's still not Deron Williams. Dwight would be THE MAN in Houston, just like in Orlando. He may want to join a team already with stars (like Dallas) the way LeBron did.

2. teampunjabi

teampunjabi Member

Well if we do suck after Dwight leaves maybe we can get Jabari Parker.

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

That has to be against the law in most states.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Dallas doesn't have room to sign Dwight Howard next season if they sign DWill.
    LA, either LA, doesn't have room to sign Dwight Howard next season.
    NY doesn't have room to sign Dwight Howard next season.

Miami did have room to sign 3 star players.

5. fkc20

fkc20 Member

If we land two top 10 picks, I don't care about selfish Howard.

6. colts_1994

colts_1994 Member

he's mormon. he might not even play in the nba

7. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Why I'd rather trade for high picks now than "suck" after Dwight and get a high pick.

1) You don't throw away assets. If you want to build for the future, you trade away "current assets" (players) for "future assets" (picks/expirings). Our problem is that we've never went "all-in" for present or future, so we're left in a limbo of having both future and current assets, without looking great for either.
    2) Either way, we still have some assets, which gives us the flexibility to make moves. If we really wanted to, we could become a team full of young, undeveloped talent this summer, by trading away vets for expirings and trading into the top-10 like some rumors have suggested we could.
    3) If you trade away picks and players for Dwight, then he leaves, you're left with less total "value" on the team. You end up with a barren roster like Charlotte, and then you're left to hope for some lottery luck. Charlotte, like most bad teams, didn't luck out, and now won't get the only likely franchise player in this draft.

8. Mariachi ROCKET

I really hope we dont get that selfish prick D12!

Who's with me???

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Look at me mom: I'm speculating about speculation!

10. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

that's because D-Mo and Llull haven't even played in a rockets uniform yet :rolleyes: and morris lets be honest he hasn't gotten enough playing time.

11. Zergling

Zergling Member

Guess what, the Howard trade is the biggest topic involving the Rockets right now. People think we're in a win-win situation if we trade for him because it's awesome if he stays and still awesome if he leaves since we'd supposedly be a terrible team. The point of this thread is to show that may not necessary be the case and we'd return to mediocrity.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

but you didn't show it........because you can't, until it all goes down, if ever.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

1. Dwight does not just LEAVE . . it will be sign and trade . . .we'd look to get something back .

Rocket River

14. Zergling

Zergling Member

I'm just throwing the thought out there that it's possible we don't bottom out and get a top 5 lottery pick automatically if Dwight leaves like people hope.

15. Asian Sensation

I don't know where you guys get this notion that Dwight is going to leave.

When we land him we will automatically be a lock for a playoff spot. If we land D.Will as well you can pretty much bank on us being in the Finals.

Even if we don't get Deron Williams. With the whole summer to work with that includes a laundry list of Free Agents ranging former All Stars/star/key veterans such as KG, Ray Allen, Nash, Grant Hill, Andre Miller, Billups, Jamison, Landry etc. I'm confident Da'Rel Morry can put a contending team in place.

There's no reason for Dwight to leave if we are contending which we will be.

16. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

He could leave, I don't doubt that. But, like you I trust Morey to not only build a playoff team around a superstar, but one that looks like it can get better (unlike the Magic's current roster that is full of aging vets). In that case, would Dwight really turn down a good team that will only get better AND the extra tens of millions of dollars we could give him with an extra year on his contract? That's a risk I'm willing to take.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

what would be the difference between being here and orlando? They were contenders with a playoff spot locked also...Dwight wants to be a ball player AND Mr. Hollywood.

18. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

If DWILL Goes to Dallas and Dwight hits FA.... Where is he going to go???? Dallas wont have cap room, he would have to take a huge paycut.... NJ would only have room and NO TALENT.... NY is maxed out, LA is maxed out, both LA teams... MIAMI is maxed out..... where is he going to go???? I like our odds over all other teams especially with us being able to give him the additional year/25 Mill

19. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

my bad.... didnt read ur post....

20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

the myth that this is a quality thread