1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The most moving/touching "talent show" performance ever?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by macalu, Jun 14, 2007.

Tags:
  1. ooze

ooze Member

i mean the whole thing in general, not his having a good voice.. but i mean you cant even understand it so how does it give you goosebumps?

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm not an opera fan myself, but some music has been known to move people. I know it sounds crazy...

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

it's not the words that matter, it's the emotion it conveys. the fact that he's a phone salesman, has bad teeth, little confidence, and no one expected such a great performance from him is what makes it great.

I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don't want to know. Some things are best left unsaid. I'd like to think they were singing about something so beautiful, it can't be expressed in words, and makes your heart ache because of it. I tell you, those voices soared higher and farther than anybody in a gray place dares to dream. It was like some beautiful bird flapped into our drab little cage and made those walls dissolve away, and for the briefest of moments, every last man in Shawshank felt free.

#23 macalu, Jun 14, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Family Guy.

5. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

That is what I was looking for. A few years ago, I heard Pavarotti do it and tears started flowing.

6. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Wasn't really all that moving to me. He did a pretty good job.

Hey isn't that the guy from B-52's??

7. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

He did a good job. I saw this the other day and was very impressed. Then I proceeded to check out Pavarotti's Nessun Dorma on Youtube. I am not an opera fan, but it was obvious to me Paul Potts is not quite on Pavarotti's level, nor ever will be. Pavarotti has a gift, born with a voice that is one in a billion. Look at the ease on Pavarotti's face, almost as if he's talking, and the power and control of his delivery. Definitely not the same. I am impressed with Paul Pott's performance but him and Pavarotti can not be said in the same sentence. Paul Potts is not the low-confidence, amateur he played it off to be.(which was half of the AWE factor) He studied in Italy with some of the best teachers, even Pavarotti himself. Look him up on Wikipedia. So he has had some exposure already. I think there is a reason why he hasn't been crowned Pavarotti's protoge or anything of that sort. He's good but not that good. I wish him the best of luck but I'm sure there are hundreds of other people out there with superior talent than him.

8. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I don't know crap about opera, but that was pretty awesome. I hope that guy gets some opportunities out of this. If I saw this in a movie I would call it corney and unbelievable, but this was real, and it was great.

9. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Maybe he can form a new Il Divo and tour around the world giving performances to crowds of old ladies*.

*I was forced to watch some of a performance on PBS by my wife. Corniest operatic "show" EVER.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I had a feeling he wasn't just some guy off the streets. Should have known better than to trust "reality" TV...

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I love how simon's jaw hung wide open and the girl took a really deep breath and her eyes opened really wide.. that was awesome.. go dude go!

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

With that singing ability, he should be top regional mobile phone salesman in no time! Good for him.

13. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

14. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

That made me cry like a little b****.

:mad:

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Can't stand opera, don't have a clue what the man was singing, it could've been "help, there's someone with a shotgun chasing me" or "i've longed to be a fairy damsel picking at your nose whilst in flight" - it wouldn't have mattered... that was incredible. It's a rather sissy thing to say, but I had goosebumps listening to that especially since you didn't expect a voice like that coming from average joe cellphone salesman.... CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?! BEYOTCHES!

Awesome!

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

So... what? He had a ton of training before this from some big hitters in opera? Well that dulls it a bit, but still pretty incredible.

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im surprised that chick judge isnt the talk of this thread...she's pretty damn hot.

Dude did a great job, but I'd like to see a full mouth restoration on him...those teeth are hideous.

18. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Good points, but also remember that your singing voice gets better (stronger, more dynamic, rangier) with work. Pavarotti works with his voice. This guy sells mobiles. Get him singing opera five days a week like Pavarotti, and who knows what comes out of it ...

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damn..... that was pretty amazing

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

from the same show...
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/njXr1c-12eI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/njXr1c-12eI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>