1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The most disappointed I've been as a Rockets fan.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheresTheDagger, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Hmm

Hmm Member

Embracing sheets upon sheets of stats in a corner somewhere...

1 person likes this.
  2. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

I wasn't one of them, but I will argue and say that if you put this very team under the leadership of a better coach, then yes, we are definitely title contenders.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Aren't we glad that Morey didn't throw away all their draft picks for short term players like Jason Smith or Pat Patterson. Even if the Rockets were to get past the first round they would have ran into a buzz saw at some point. Might as well get humbled early to truly expose the weaknesses of the Rockets so Morey is a little more clear now what needs to change.

Step 1: unfortunately comes from the coaches seat. Whether McHale stays or goes I dunno but Les and Morey will have to make some big changes in the way this team is led and the preparation that goes into BOTH sides of the floor.

Step 2: Alpha dog leader. Maybe Z Bo, or a David West type. Not sure but they are missing a big piece. Just not sure who that guy is.

Step 3: humility and hard work. No more lollipops and gum drops in the offseason. They had all last year to have fun. It's time to grind and grow up.

4. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

We have to be the worst out of bounds play team ever. You can't possibly draw up a play where your guy gets the ball posting up 40 feet from the basket with the clock running down, but this has been the go to play in the 4th quarter it seems.

#64 jVgOwnsYou, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not that disappointed because it's not the most disappointing (I think Game 7 40pts lost was that) and because this team strategy from the get go seems wrong. We were and still too much dependent on one player (and it's not Howard). The problem is that player doesn't play much of any defense and so when his offense is struggling, we don't have a chance in hell. It's simply too easy to defend us when breaking one link is all that's needed. It's not that our team can't be more balanced, but the strategy from the get go is to prioritize developing one and only one player at any cost. Foolish.

6. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

The only positive i see out of this is that someone in the office will finally agree that our style is fine for regular season but terrible for the playoffs.

1 person likes this.
  7. N/A

N/A Member

the only good I can see from a potential 1st round exit is a coaching change as well as change of play style. Living and dying by the 3 is the dumbest thing I've ever heard and yet the team keeps employing it as if it'll help them win a title. You need variety, and you need a coach that knows how to draw out the strengths of each player. Find out what each player does well and let him do that exclusively. Why is that so hard?

8. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Rockets made a mistake hiring McFail. We should have kept Rick Adelman.

9. JazzLakerHater

I've seen the Stockton shot, choking the Dallas and Utah series, and injuries to Yao/ Tmac. This year sucks, but it's not even close to the level of dissapoinment I had after those moments.

10. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Ditto.

Game 7 against Utah was much, much worse for me.

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

One small problem. Games 3 and 4 are in Portland. Have you seen the Rockets' performances on the road lately? Other than the Lakers, they haven't beaten anyone away from Toyota Center in a very long time.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I did not see us going down 0-2 with Harden struggling and LMA continuing to be that much on fire.

I am not disappointed as much as sad to see it happen. But I am not shocked. We have had problems with team defense and stagnant offense all seasons. It's hard to believe that it would magically disappear when the post-season began.

13. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I'm frustrated at how stymied Harden looked esp in the 4th quarter.

I'm shocked that coaches didn't sit him down more, so we could find another offensive spark.

Team was at its best running, but like we feared, when the game slows down and Harden is not clicking, the team has nothing else.

The silver lining is if we get a new coaching staff, but please, Morey, stay out of their strategy sessions. Your grand experiment has failed.

Coaches, for all our talk on defense, can you play more defensive-minded players? It's like pounding a hammer into your thumb over and over again. Just plain stupidity

14. moose

moose Member

Same here bro. Never been this sad as a Rockets fan.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

game 7 vs Utah at home, Tmac/Yao crowned the next kobe/shaq

jvg fired right afterwards

that was worse

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I still remember how empty that left me. The thing was that it was close too, and Boozer got offensive rebound after rebound. After we lost I just couldn't believe it...

17. Soft Takes

Soft Takes Rookie

Hopefully we can get a coach who knows how to utilize an offensive talent like harden. Could be our JR Smith type of scorer off the bench backing up Bev and Lin. This would shore up our starting lineup by putting 2 two-way nba caliber players in our guard spots and still have harden getting his shot attempts from the pine, similar to OKC. We would probably have to restrict his playoff minutes though like they did because he was so horrendous when the D tightened up come playoff time, and he could no longer flop for calls...

18. Rockness

Rockness Member

Been a fan since 2008 and I agree, this has got to be the worst..we just blew home court advantage with our coach being clueless at this point of the season, star player playing like a p***y and the other one thinking if he dominates, we will win the game.

19. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

I've been more disappointed by Rockets losses in the past. This thing happening now is sad in that the team is living down to expectations instead of exceeding them. Yeah, I was hoping for at least a first-round win, but the crap coaching, defense, and shooting, and players looking either disinterested or overwhelmed are problems that have been going on all season and now the chickens are home to roost.

20. kastuul

kastuul Member

It depends on the expectation.

The Rockets have been selling Harden as 1st SG, Howard as 1st C and Beverley as the best perimeter defender.