1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Morey Single Barrel Bourbon Special

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Nov 21, 2012.

1. MystikArkitect

What is the reason for Morey's obsession with Finch as the coach in waiting?

Watching the movie Moneyball made a lot of sense to the way Adelman was treated.

2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

You've said 3 times in this thread that McHale was required to retain the coaching staff. In Adelman's final season in Houston his coaching staff was composed of Elston Turner, Jack Sikma, T.R. Dunn and R.J. Adelman. Are you under the impression that we retained any of those coaches? Do you believe that any of our current coaches were on the 2010-2011 staff?

Not only didn't McHale retain the coaching staff, he didn't retain a single coach from Adelman's staff. If your logic is based on the fact that McHale was required to keep the coaching staff then you your assumptions have no basis in fact.

3. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I think jtr meant Sampson and Finch.

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Hiring McHale Shows Moneyball Parallels For Rockets

by Rivers McCown • May 27, 2011 12:37 PM CDT

One of the key things to come out about the Rockets' decision to hire Kevin McHale as their latest head coach so far is the fact that they want to make sure that Rio Grande Valley Vipers head coach Chris Finch is given an assistant coaching position. The Rockets having the power to hire an assistant-in-waiting was a big draw for them earlier, and was one of the reasons that Rick Adelman did not remain in Houston.

The Rockets became sold on McHale because they believe he will be a good communicator with their young players. Front office officials also believe McHale has a hunger to succeed as a coach in his post-Hall of Fame playing career.

The Rockets will have a great deal of input into McHale's coaching staff - and perhaps even style of play - sources said. McHale's coaching staff will include the promotion of Houston's D-League coach, Chris Finch of Rio Grande Valley, into a prominent position on McHale's bench.

Very interesting. If these reports are true, then McHale has essentially agreed to become a dummy head coach, much like Oakland Athletics skippers of the past have been accused of being under general manager Billy Beane. Apparently Houston's front office would like to have control over every bit of the coaching staff that they can.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=204986

#24 jtr, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  5. aelliott

Maybe but saying that they or any of the coaches were retained is incorrect. Sampson was an assistant in Milwaukee for the '10-'11 season. He was hired a month after McHale got the job. Finch was head coach of RGV in '10-'11 and was also hired after McHale got the job.

Nobody was retained, let alone the entire coaching staff as stated by the OP in three separate posts.

6. aelliott

What does that quote have to do with your statement? Three times you said that McHale was required to retain the coaching staff. I'll ask again, are you under the assumption that Finch was on the Rockets coaching staff prior to McHale being hired? If not then he obviously wasn't retained.

Since you said three times that McHale was forced to retain the coaching STAFF, who are the other coaches that you think were retained?

The fact is that in 2010-2011 Finch coached the RGV Vipers and Sampson was an assistant in Milwaukee. Neither was on the coaching staff when McHale was hired so it would be impossible to "retain" them.

The only way that McHale could have retained the coaching staff is if he's have kept Dunn, Sikma,Turner and RJ Adelman on as coaches. He obviously didn't so none of the coaching staff was retained and a statement that he "retained the coaching staff" is 100% incorrect.

1 person likes this.
  7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

OK. Perhaps I misspoke. How about McHale surrendered control of the assistant coaching staff of the Rockets to GM Morey?

8. aelliott

You're still overstating. You're quoting a rumor as fact and then generalizing that rumor to cover the entire staff.

You can say that McHale was forced to hire Finch but that's not a fact...it's a rumor. Additionally, even if that rumor were true how do you extend that to the entire staff? Was it even rumored that McHale was forced to hire Sampson or Bickerstaff?

Are you aware of where Bickerstaff worked prior to coming to Houston? He was with the T-Wolves since 2007 and worked one year as an assistant for McHale.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Unbelievably good post. Im a Morey supporter Willing to wait a couple more years to see if this sh#t shakes out.

10. aelliott

As stated earlier in the thread, succesful teams in most sports draft the best player available regardless of position.

A good example is a Phoenix team that had both Kevin Johnson and Jason Kidd on that roster selecting Steve Nash with their first pick.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The whole notion of having a guy he has no familiarity with made 0 sense. Just like the deal with jason garrett, if you feel like he's the guy, just hire him already. There is no such thing as developing a coach in that regards. Every coach has a different feel to the game that cant be replicated.

12. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

It's obvious adleman was let go because he wanted to go a different direction. Mchale is ok with being the puppet for morey

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is pretty dumb. Morey already said he stays out of coaching decisions, just like how Les generally stays out of the GM job (except for stuff like Linsanity). Morey lets Mchale/RA/JVG do their own thing, and then evaluates them at the end to see if they did a good job.

If Morey came into Mchale's office and demanded that he play the rookies what's the point of having a coach then? What hapens if the Rockets lose that game, is Mchale absolved of guilt since he's just playing who Morey wanted to play? That removes all sense of responsibility on a job that could be defined objectively.

Your bus test comment is equally pointless, basketball is a personality driven organization, this isn't some box making company. Would the Bulls have won their six rings without MJ? Oh wait they failed the bus test, what a useless team :rolleyes:

14. prs325

prs325 Member

I think it was rather a misuse of using "retain" than maybe "handpicked". We didnt retain any of the previous staff from Adelman's but Morey picked Finch and the other coaching candidate in Sampson. Now im not sure who picked the rest (Bickerstaff and Gunning). I would like to think that McHale had some input on the rest since it would be unconventional to work with an all new coaching staff to start off a season, unless its a midseason coaching change like the D'Antoni and the Lakers

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

same with me, but I don't drink and drive (start new threads) in the GARM. So, but, I'll follow you....

Sorry, but these Anti-Morey threads reek of inability to satisfy one's own agenda.

Imagine your entire post being about your inability to live up to the expectations of your father, so you learned to rip all people of authority.

...Do you mind if I respond on that belief?? Fair game, right?

All Your Quote are Belong to Me

Are you talking about Morey or your dad?!

Translation...My dad is the family and don't ever doubt it.

When I become of age it was with the proviso that my friends be retained. What doest that mean?

Essentially, I am not my own man. My friends are not mine. My decisions are not mine they are my dad's.

Not really sure if I have disgruntled son analogy for this. This is somewhat off the charts.

I'm just going to tell a flat out lie about my Dad, because I'm insecure in my ability to understand the world and am looking for others to believe my falsehoods with me.

I have many other beefs with my Dad.

...ok, this Freud one is too easy. I'll spare the OP a Father-figure metaphor. No I won't. Your dad is a Cub, isn't he? ... looking for Bears.

Actually, Les signs the coaches. And yes, he doesn't like Dictatorial megalomaniacs. So, it isn't Morey, and it isn't your dad. It is someone higher than your dad who keeps you wondering why you can't be a 5'8 power forward for the Rockets, because your dad always like "Power" forward men.

All this last part means is you are worried if anyone cares about you.

#35 heypartner, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  16. jocar

jocar Member

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to heypartner again
    In all fairness, though, I think drunken rants should be off limits to psych evaluations. (cuz it ain't right)

17. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

Just like Mr Bond, I prefer a 50 year's old McAllan single malt.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

First off... Congrats on the drunk thread. Most noobs couldn't pull it off. You have made us all proud. However you could have just said "I don't like Murray." Would have got the point accross.

So, when It comes to the Murray threads, the question I always never seem to get an answer to is "if not Murray, who else would you hire instead?"

It's hard to really find a great a answer to that question.

19. alethios

alethios Member

LOL hilarious patriarchal reference is hilarious

20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Was going to go down as a "good thread, would read again"

But then heyP made it about his dad, so I guess that was kinda funny?? But he still couldn't save it from 1 stardom.