1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The mid range game

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by goodbug, Jun 5, 2009.

1. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

Magic has the best defense rating in the league. They excel by closing out on 3pt line, relying on Howard's superman ability to contest shots in the paint. But they have to give up some in between, the mid range. Like Shaq, Howard doesn't like to be out of paint, when he has to, they always lose rebounding battle badly.

Unfortunately, Kobe has the best mid range game in the league, and that's what separate him from LBJ. LBJ likes 3 pts and driving, but his jumper is not as refined.

Kobe started to heat up in the 2nd quarter, using a Gasol pick to hit 2 quick jumpers off screen. From there, every one in Magic has to help on Kobe and rotate, and it led to either a big posting up small (Walton, Odom), or a Gasol wide open 16 footer.

I don't see Magic doing much better on defense side, they can hustle more and get more rebound, but their defense weakness plays into lakers' hands. They have to win the battle on the offensive end, get 3pts raining is their only chance.

1 person likes this.
  2. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Funny, but that's basically the exact same thing I told my friend on the phone today when discussing this series. However, I think Kobe's "killer instinct" still separates him from Lebron. Lebron has shown more flashes of developing that mindset, but Kobe still has it better than him.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Better than Rip Hamilton?

Rocket River

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Don't forget Brandon Roy either.

5. pandazn

pandazn Member

Yes, better than Rip Hamilton. Rip relies a lot on screen and pops for his clean looks, whereas Kobe is deadly if you just give him the ball. The guy can cleanly get his shot over anyone and can sink shots with hands in his face at a consistent clip.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I love Brandon Roy and like Rip Hamilton, but Kobe has shot the ball out of his mind in the playoffs. I've never seen him so deadly over such a long period of games. He is truly unguardable when his mid-range shot is automatic because he will just go around the defender when crowded. If the Magic are serious about winning the series, Courtney Lee will play less and Pietrus will play more. Lee's defense on Kobe is a total joke. For that matter, his defense on anyone last night was a joke. At least Pietrus makes Kobe work harder and he isn't intimidated by him. I know Lee is a rookie, so maybe he just isn't ready for this yet.

Under normal circumstances, Rip Hamilton's mid-range shot is about as good as Kobe's, but Kobe has been in a zone since the playoffs started. He normally doesn't shoot the ball this well.

7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Hmm...given the same looks, i guess i would say that Kobe knocks down those midrange shots more than anyone in the league. Kobe hardly ever gets anything easy or open.

He's one of the few players that you have to consider doubling or trapping outside of the paint. It's one thing to single cover Lebron and get help from Dwight when he gets in the paint. It's another thing to single cover Kobe and watch him drain tough jumpshots on you all night. He shot a good percentage on shane with mostly all jumpers. What do you think he's going to do to Pietrus?

8. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

Hamilton plays off ball, much like R.Allen. He relies on a good PG that can give him the ball at the right time after screen, high maintenance. His production was watered down since Billups was traded. Hamilton also couldn't hit contested shots as well as Kobe, he may be a better pure shooter when uncontested. Combined with the option to drive, the vision to dish to open man, he's no match to Kobe in mid-range. Pierce may be better contest.