1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Mess in Puerto Rico. No power on the whole island for 4-6 mos.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's simply not true. If the infrastructure is built and maintained properly then it wouldn't have been completely destroyed by a threat they face every single year. You could have used that same excuse in Haiti when a 7.0 magnitude earthquake basically destroyed everything and killed 100,000+.....but in a country like Chile they had a 9.5 earthquake, the most intense in recorded history, in 1960 they only had about 6,000 casualties, and in the years since then they've learned to build their infrastructure even better to where they can get rocked by 8.3 earthquakes with hardly any casualties.

Effective planning and smart building standards is the difference between being crushed by natural disasters and largely shaking them off. When you bring up Houston, you have to understand that despite a ridiculous fluke level of rainfall and flooding, the city got away relatively unphased. Have pretty much any other highly populated region on the earth and dump something like 25 trillion gallons of water on them (51+ inches) and you'd have a much more severe disaster on your hands.....hell even in Houston before all of the infrastructure changes and planning it would have been absolutely catastrophic. The 1935 flood that led to the building of the Addicks and Barker reservoirs was something like 15 inches or rain....

I'm sorry but a first world island in the Caribbean simply has to be better equipped to deal with hurricanes than PR has shown. The state of their vital infrastructure leading up to the hurricanes this season was unacceptable and they need to do better. The failure of the PR government is costing people their lives right now.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure he's not acting like a pompous doucher to Puerto Rican's right now like the folks here are in Trumps honor.

Any billionaire would probably have at least given a long thought at voting for Trump out of self interest and most probably did. That's sort of a big reason why Trump and the GOP suck. Just go look at the healthcare plan and their tax plan. I'd be shocked if a billionaire didn't vote for Trump. Are you a billionaire? What are you getting out of it other than trolling people on the internet and crapping on Puerto Rican's who are in crisis just to feel better about your sad life?

cheke64 likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Which should not be a surprise since he is from the American Conservative Union and a frequent speaker at CPAC. Surely would not be expected to spin out partisan support for Trump now...

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Trump is just incredibly petty. And this is coming from a guy who work with high school students all day. Besides the mayor of San Juan and the NFL, here he is today arguing about the Alabama Senate primary for some reason.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As I said earlier in the thread I don't really blame Trump for the slow pace of response to PR. This is an incredibly large and difficult situation. What I find galling though is the basic lack of empathy combined with the back slapping self-congratulatory rhetoric and pettiness of the President. No modern president I can think of would attack the victims of a disaster like this. GW Bush got criticized for his "heck of a job Brownie" comment but he still showed empathy for the victims.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that so many of you are jumping to the dog whistle of Trump, including many of you who go to great pains to remind us you didn't vote for him. Y'all are so blinded by partisanship that you jump to defend a callous tone death comment by a man who is supposed to be the leader of all Americans in a time of great crisis. Just because you can want to stick it to the "libtards."

You are lost if your care and concern is about defending a crass petty comment from Trump rather than on those who are suffering through this disaster.

HakeemOnlyFan, Amiga, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

holyshit , this is ****ing hilarious. It only gets scary when you realize the people glued to his dick believe this.
    @Aceshigh7 @RocketsLegend @Bobbythegreat

HakeemOnlyFan and Deckard like this.
  7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Who has defended a comment by Trump attacking the Puerto Rican people? And why would anyone give a **** about such comments? Everyone defending FEMA has actually focused on what matters ; the response. You and others have focused on tweets. Response has been good by FEMA just some local officials ******** the bed.

Space Ghost likes this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Nut case.

9. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

An excellent post, Judo, but I do place a good part of the delay on Mr. trump. It took seemingly forever and after countless cries for action to get trump to allow international shipping to carry relief supplies from the States to Puerto Rico. It takes direction and orders from the President to get the immense abilities of the United States military brought to bear to tackle a disaster the size of Puerto Rico. Think about it. Heck, you know a lot more about disaster relief than I could dream of knowing.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

12. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Sounds like a lot of government regulation to me...I thought that was bad?

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not always. I don't think you'd get much pushback for safety related government regulations when it comes to absolutely mandatory infrastructure in talking to just about anyone. The same goes for commercial and government building regulations in areas likely to be hit by natural disasters.

When people complain about government regulations it's usually about those that are frivolous or that don't make any sense.

14. MexAmercnMoose

even if the mayor is wrong, a true man/leader would be more empathetic during these hard times...hows his golf swing tho? LOL

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

You are either a moron or a heartless ideologue.

Listen to this retired general who was in the Katrina disaster relief. Educate yourself a bit ideology is not enough.

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

This guy says nothing compelling. Same **** as every liberal. 'Racist! SOB!. He's as compelling Kanye was. What exactly am I educating myself on? Also why not ask the us virgin islands about how racist the response has been? Where are those interviews?

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

And this why Trump is addressing the debt. Where did the money go?

Bankrupt and poor infrastructure

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Unfortunately just like in Hurricane Katrina,a disaster can expose how truly incompetent a government has been.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well obviously they haven't been spending the money on the right things and that reinforces the notion that their government is just completely and totally incompetent.