1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Media's Bias and Race Baiting - Trayvon Martin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by FV Santiago, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Granville

Granville Member

So does Quannell X like self defense / stand your ground laws or not? She got in the car and then got back out with a rifle... Seems I heard some case where Quannell was against people getting out of a car with a weapon... The lady left the scene too. Surely she should have waited on the scene to be interviewed by the Police so later on people could point out and try to us her inconsistencies against her.... What is the crap about referring this to a grand jury? Surely special prosecutors could have been brought in to bring up an incredibly weak case to put on trial.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-woman-says-she-killed-man-in-self-defense-4682813.php

A south Houston woman said she was only protecting herself when she fatally shot a man at a service station.

"I didn't intend to hurt or harm anyone. I just went to the gas station to get gas," Shanequia McDonald said on Tuesday.

McDonald told Houston police she shot Lewis Daniel shortly after 7 p.m. Sunday at a Gulf station in the 6800 block of Cullen, between Griggs and the South Loop. The case will go to the Harris County grand jury to decide if any charges will be filed.

On Tuesday, McDonald was at the side of community activist Quanell X.

"She tried to walk away. What else was she supposed to do?" Quanell asked.

McDonald said she was pumping gas when Daniel, 58, approached her and began making sexual overtures.

"He's from around this area but personally, no, I don't know him," she said Tuesday.

McDonald said she told the man to leave her alone but he persisted, and then pulled out a knife.

"He kept jumping at me with that knife," McDonald said.

She told police that she grabbed a rifle from her car when the man continued to threaten her with the blade.

McDonald said she fired at the ground, hoping to scare the man off.

"She never intended to shoot directly at him," Quanell said. "She didn't know the bullet actually ricocheted and hit him."

McDonald then went home to tell her mother what happened. Only then was the Houston Police Department notified.

"She left for her own safety. She was afraid that some of those who were sitting with (Daniel) were going to harm her," Quanell said.

The activist said the shooting was a case where Texas' self-defense and stand your ground laws were justified.

Quanell has led recent marches in Houston to protest the not-guilty verdict a Florida jury returned in the 2012 shooting death of Trayvon Martin, but said McDonald cannot be compared to the man acquitted of killing the 17-year-old Martin.

"George Zimmerman profiled Trayvon Martin. George Zimmerman stalked and pursued Trayvon Martin. George Zimmerman was armed (but) Trayvon Martin was not," Quanell said.

McDonald "was the victim of an assault. She was trying to get away," he said. "She got the weapon to defend herself."

#41 Granville, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Who gives a **** what Quannell X thinks or believes, why give him credibility?

3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The autopsy mentions mild visible fatty change, but nothing more than that...basically normal liver visually. Tox screen mentions minute/trace amounts of THC(active ingredient in Cannabis).

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/images/05/17/trayvon.martin.autopsy.pdf

1 person likes this.
  4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

the OP and others on this forum, and all over the Internet, believe that Trayvon Martin was buying ingredients for a concoction of lean.

because he bought Skittles and Watermelon juice.

they are convinced of it by the likes of bloggers above.

they believe the reports of a damaged liver in a so called autopsy report.

where do they get this info from?

5. Granville

Granville Member

I'm just saying that for all the fools who think GZ didn't have a right to defend himself and want laws that allowed him to protect himself against an assault, this is an example of how it could affect others.

Keep in mind, this lady hadn't been physically assaulted (yet) and got away from the guy long enough to go get a weapons.

GZ was pinned down and couldn't get away while being pummeled. GZ stayed there and answered questions too. All that said, this lady's story may be 100% legit and had to do what she did. If folks cry about changing a law just because they were emotionally invested in a verdict that didn't go their way it could have a negative impact on victims of crime.

6. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

The part people are referring to is under the section titled "Hepatobiliary System "

" focal patchy yellow discoloration due to mild fatty metamorphosis is present "

This is said to be unusual in someone of his age and common among users of lean and also alcoholics , beginning stages of liver psychosis .

I doubt any of us are qualified to determine one way or the other what this means .... but it's easy to see how people can make a case for him abusing this mixture when there are texts of him talking about using it .

#46 DAROckets, Jul 25, 2013
  7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

focal fatty change...doesnt mean fatty liver...and as i mentioned before is not a diffuse process..this would be considered an incidental finding...aka NORMAL LIVER Variation.

8. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

What medical qualifications do you have in making this assessment ?

9. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I am a graduate medical student(took time off for health reasons) and applying for residency next year. I think im qualified.

10. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

What is your fascination with positioning false statements and racially tinged innuendos from discredited/insanely biased websites like Conservative Treehouse, Blaze.Com and post them as FACT?

Do you think anyone believes you?

Zimmerman was the one with documented usage of strong prescription medications and an actual criminal record. Not Trayvon. Trayvon was only adjudicated guilty by biased right wing sources like those above for political purposes.

Zimmerman was a grade A douchebag who's assaulted a police officer, accused of sexually molesting a cousin (despicable), conspired with his wife to lie to the court system about his finances, had a restraining order with his ex and then followed a stranger despite being warned to and ultimately shot him. If that's your idea of someone who's "universally liked by their community", you have absolutely no business criticizing anyone about raising honest, decent and respectable child.

Zimmerman may have been acquitted but he's committed some heinous sins in his life that are just deplorable by the standards of any self-respecting society. To act like he's the victim here is asinine. His irresponsible actions heavily led to the DEATH of a human being. He's not a hero, he's an embarassment.

Oh...and America having a Black behavior problem AND having a black profiling problem are not mutually exclusive. Both are legitimate issues and to some extent they are intertwined. It's not an either or deal.

#50 rdsgonzo13, Jul 25, 2013
  11. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

Best, most rational explanation yet. I agree Zimmerman played a major role in this but so did Trayvon in a big way. It would seem to me he started something he couldn't finish.

Well, it's only natural that everyone thinks they're an intellectual since everyone has confidence in what they believe. But only those who keep raising questions, even questions about their own beliefs and then have the courage to admit when they're wrong are the real intellectuals, in general anyways.

I'm not saying that to say I'm one or that the explanation above is rock solid but it's just my opinion.

12. Granville

Granville Member

Standing your ground

<script src="http://www.khou.com/templates/belo_embedWrapper.js?storyid=216424271&pos=top&swfw=470"></script><object name="player" id="_fp_0.8706393432803452" width="470" height="264" data="http://swfs.bimvid.com/player-3.2.15.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> <param value="true" name="allowfullscreen"/> <param value="always" name="allowscriptaccess"/> <param value="transparent" name="wmode"/> <param value="high" name="quality"/> <param name="movie" value="http://swfs.bimvid.com/player-3.2.15.swf" /> <param value="config=http://www.khou.com/?j=embed_216424271&ref=http://www.khou.com/video/featured-videos/Caught-on-camera--Woman-fatally-shoots-man-at-gas-station-216424271.html" name="flashvars"/></object><script src="http://www.khou.com/templates/belo_embedWrapper.js?storyid=216424271&pos=bottom&ref=http://www.khou.com/video/featured-videos/Caught-on-camera--Woman-fatally-shoots-man-at-gas-station-216424271.html"></script>

13. Nook

Nook Member

Where is an article in the mainstream media that claims that Martin was on the lean? I don't care what a blogger or fringe "news" source with little credibility states. I am not saying there isn't one, I just have not seen it.

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

never bring a knife to a gun fight....:)

[​IMG]

15. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Wow...you also exhibit a very biased, slanted and factually dubious version of the truth.

1. As others have stated, those are not the ingredients for lean.
    2. It isn't paranoia if somebody is actually following you.
    3. Zimmerman had a prior history of violence (domestic violence and assault of a cop).

You then prattle on with broad based, sweeping generalizations regarding an entire race. Anytime you do that, you have a weak argument. Try to avoid painting with such a broad brush.

As for parenting, what a failure by Zimmerman's parents to raise a son who would hit women, hit cops, and engage in following somebody while armed for no apparent reason. Arming yourself to follow somebody with no evidence of an actual crime is not brave, it is a cowardly act.

16. Granville

Granville Member

That describes the Prosecution's case which is why your side lost.

17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I am responding to the subject matter in the OP. #1 of his list described factually incorrect assumptions about Trayvon's liver and he posted a video of a guy making the claim.

it is the basis for this entire thread on media bias.

I am suggesting that the OP and others has been influenced to believe lies.

do you refute the OP and his claims?

18. likestohypeguy

[​IMG]

19. Nook

Nook Member

I find no basis for the belief that skittles and watermelon soda had anything to do with being on the lean, further I see nothing in the toxicology report to support the assertion that he was intoxicated with the lean at the time of the accident.

My point, is that when you say the media works both ways, that is somewhat limited in this case. Blogs and conservative sources that have little credibility are not the same as the AP or CNN or FOX making the claim.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

lol yup. Refman is on the defensive since he's been proven wrong during this whole episode. And he claims to be a lawyer, to boot...