1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Media's Bias and Race Baiting - Trayvon Martin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by FV Santiago, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

If only biases were more of a media problem, rather than a human problem.

They aren't specific to the media, and certainly not to the Trayvon Martin case. The media simply understands how easy it is to manipulate emotions by arguing extremes. A standardized tactic Lee Atwater is typically credited for popularizing during the 80's presidential campaigns.

It's very simple, really. Find an emotionaly charged topic with no "correct" answer, but opposing subjective views. Even though the opinions of people typically fall somewhere in between, they feel compelled to support the sided closest to their own views. By doing this they effectively eliminate compromise, because both sides have been driven to polar opposite extremes. Now there's a massive portion of the populace expending their time & effort by perpetually arguing the validity of their personal perspectives.

This is one of the biggest problems our society faces. It's one of the easiest ways to those elite few to part the tides of objection, and drive their agendas down Main St. leaving voters none the wiser.

2 people like this.
  2. Granville

Granville Member

How exactly do you know whether he could afford to live in NY or California?

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'll be sure not to "cherry pick my b****" ( whatever that means :confused: ) by pointing out the gross inaccuracies in what the OP described himself as "important points from the video."

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Because he's either an ignoramus or insaneif he thinks either if these places are scary dystopian nightmare world due to the lack of Cletus with a CCL keeping the peace - that's just the beginning. Neither of these things is conducive to being a man of means in my experience.

Its generally safe to make class-based assumption s about southern whites mouthing dim NRA type crapaganda. These folks aren't exactly living in a world of blinding possibilities, and their sour grapes about how they'll never live here or there is like me saying I'm gonna pass on kate Middleton since I'm not into MILFs or that the Grizzlies didn't want to offer Gay for LeBron. It's just not going to happen so it's as empty as can be - even by the low standards of internetgument

#24 SamFisher, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  5. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I'm no MD but these side effects certainly could cause aggressive behavior .

codeine

-confusion, agitation, hallucinations, unusual thoughts or behavior

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/codeine-side-effects.html

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

The only thing I can figure goes something like this.

cherry pick your b****: to hit on the extremely rare girl who is both a virgin and recovering from a devastating break-up. This rare species is usually an early-20's daughter of evangelicals.

7. Anticope

Anticope Member

I guess there's really no point in asking this since this whole post is incoherent verbal diarrhea, but why is the word black in quotations?

And please provide us with your findings in your extensive research on how many lives this law has saved. Thanks in advance.

8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I have been living in two out of those three states since 1999.

I don't see it.

where is there proof evidence that Martin had codeine in his system?

also, OP- I want to see the so called toxicology report describing Martin's liver.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Meh I have lived in all three states, and all three are **** holes in certain areas... I don't agree with their gun laws (Illinois as well), but from a practical standpoint it does not make much difference.

If someone comes in my home uninvited and I feel threatened and if necessary, I will shoot them.... doesn't matter if I live in Ohio, Illinois or Texas/Arizona.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

People are finally waking up to the atrocious media bias and clear cut race baiting that has gone on since day 1. Of course, I spotted it on day 1 since I actually think for myself rather than have the media control my opinions.

I feel sorry for all the angry blacks in this matter. There are millions of blacks (along with many other in the US) who are genuinely furious -- all due to media manipulation.

11. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

If you believe the media cares about the particulars of Zimmerman and was taking sides, then you are simply a tool ...and easily manipulated as such.

The media sensationalizes to get ratings. Period.

12. across110thstreet

media bias and manipulation goes both ways.

we keep seeing the lean storyline-

he "could have been" purchasing lean ingredients, etc...

why are those that think this way exempt from being manipulated by the media?

people got so annoyed at the innocent Skittle portrayal of Trayvon (and that pesky Hollister photo) so they twisted the storyline into the teenager and his love for the purple drank...

13. Nook

Nook Member

Link to a reputable media source discussing the lean? There may be one, but I have not seen it.

As far as the Hollister picture, I think that was just laziness from the mainstream meadia... the Martin family were able to control the initial portrayal of Martin because they approached the media and told their story and gave the media the picture.... and as they always do, the media ran with it.

14. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

Remember that scene from The Matrix Reloaded where The Merovingian makes the orgasm cake for that unsuspecting woman? There's a reason I had this as my sig for a month or so:

"Choice is an illusion created between those with power and those without."

-The Merovingian

We get played and led into various traps without even being aware of it generally and thus they can push us where they want, making a "choice" when in reality it's what we were conned into doing. While the intellecuals are hard to fool, for the most part they know exactly how to push everyone's buttons. Like Pavlov and his dogs salivating.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The problem lies in that everyone thinks they are an intellectual.

Perhaps the dogs had Pavlov trained to give them a treat when they salivated.

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Bottom line is that the media did blow this story out of proportion. This was really never about Race until the media went on a total crusade to insinuate that there was racial under tone because a "white hispanic" gunned down a "black teen."

TM was a tall, healthy young black teen that didnt feel right about some dude following him, and felt the need to beat his a$$ first and ask questions later. Zimmerman was just a fat, white-Hispanic male that felt his neighborhood was being threatened by an individual he didn't recognize. Both parties were wrong. Zimmerman should've left the kid alone and just let the cops handle the situation. TM should've called the cops especially considering he didnt know who this guy was following him and he had his phone on him.

The facts are that Zimmerman did get himself beat physically. I dont know when he figured that his life was at jeopardy, but at some point (especially when you are losing something, you can accept the situation, or change it...) For Zimmerman, he felt this need to fire his weapon to protect himself. Evidence suggests that the shooting happened with 6 to 18 inches. The actual bullet entered the body of TM (2 inches left of the left midclavicular line at the 5th ICS)->basically to the left of the left nipple. Also the autopsy report doesnt mention external trauma to the body of TM. It mentions 2 scars on his right shoulder and right hand, but doesnt really describe the details of these scars...

Here is what I do know:Zimmerman did not listen to the dispatcher that told him to stop following him. The phone call to the police lasted about 4 minutes. 2 minutes later the cops came to the scene. In "2 minutes" between the end of the phone call and arrival to the scene, a fight broke out and resulted in a shooting death of a young male. His body was found about 70 yards from the back door of the home TM was staying at.

I dont fully believe ZM accounts of the story to be accurate, and the eye witness accounts are too mixed to give a more accurate description. TM was taller than ZM, and the bullet wound was close to the left nipple...This could only mean that both parties were fighting on the ground, and at some point the gun was above TM anterior chest. I think TM was laying punishment on ZM's face, and ZM was able to quickly break free off the ground, quickly grabbed his gun and fired at a close proximity(before TM got up fully).

TM lost his life, because he couldve just done the most simple thing: called the cops. ZM was just an overzealous dude that tried to play the role of a community hero by thinking he was someone he was not: A Cop. Zimmerman acted out of line by following the kid(in 2 minutes the cops showed up to the scene). TM shouldve just calmly defused the situation by talking to buy time. There was no reason to think that a calm answer couldn't have turned away a weird dude like Zimmerman. Really a sad situation, but a lesson to be learned by everyone. Just be calm in a dangerous situation, and often times a cooler head can prevail.

And finally...this really had nothing to do with racism. But everything to do with a profile. Zimmerman describes the young man as a sketchy looking character who was walking around in a hoodie, (maybe with a slight drizzle of rain) at around 7:00 pm (temp: about 63 F). Zimmerman finally thought he had a real lead on a dude he has never seen before in his neighborhood that mightve been someone in connection with recent burglaries. He guessed wrong, and literally jumped the gun.

We all profile folks, whether they are white, black, brown, purple, etc...Its what humans have done for ever. We often assume if a guy is dressed nicely, he doesnt look like trouble. But if someone looks sketchy..they often look out of place. Wrongfully, Zimmerman followed a guy he thought could have fit that description of someone that was harming his community. And he wanted to stop it. If he needed to confront someone, he had a gun to keep things from getting out of hand. Sadly, TM thought he was being followed by some weird dude, was trying to get away, and mightve been in a situation where he was gonna have to fight to get away. I am sure TM whooped Zimmerman's behind, but I dont think he knew ZM was armed.

2 people like this.
  17. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Autopsy report describes the liver . Haven't seen the toxicology and I never said anything regarding codeine being present .I only posted the side-effects in response to whoever posted the false statement ... "no one in the history of the world has ever described codeine effects as aggressive"

#37 DAROckets, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  18. across110thstreet

it's right there in the video in the OP.

that's my point, you have someone calling out media bias and sharing a link that is based entirely on this supposition.

true.

I'm still asking for the part about the liver in the report.
    I haven't seen it, and I'm no medical doctor either...

19. across110thstreet

20. Nook

Nook Member

Again..... please provide a link to the mainstream media reporting on it.