1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The McHale/Harden dynamic is eerily reminiscent of Rudy T/Steve Francis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, Nov 16, 2015.

1. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Too concerned with individual stats...

He reminds me a lot of Michael Young his last year with UH...

T_Man

2. ibm

ibm Member

harden as of now reminds me michael redd at his peak. not the same players, but in many ways similar.

(my sincere apologies to all the diehard james harden fans out there...)

3. alethios

alethios Member

I just want the Harden from last year, minus his sub-par playoff performances.

4. thumps

thumps Contributing Member

Great post...although I do think part of it was Rudy running out of gas and not having the energy to rein in the young kids. He has spoken a lot about how coaching made him a physical and mental wreck. Obviously coaching Stevie Franchise probably made that even worse.

But your point is a good one. There are numerous issues with this team. Changing coaches will not fix all of them.

And because your post mentioned Francis...another bit of history to add:

[​IMG]

5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think it would be one thing if we were just not reaching another level, but this team is severely underachieving.

These guys appear to have tuned each other and the coach out.

And they either aren't listening to mchale or he is not asking them to stop doing some of the same dumb stuff they've been doing all year.

Yea the players need to take a large piece of the blame, however I do believe that a coaching change is the best way to go at this point. And preferably early in this season so there is some hope that by the end of the year things will be humming along v

6. ibm

ibm Member

darn it, even when stevie was smoking, he's trying hard.

:p

7. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Smdh..

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course the brotherhood comes up with supreme threads

Steve francis also had outside issues that has turned him into Tyrone biggums.

I hope it's not the beginning of the end

9. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

McHale cant shine Rudy T's shoes, and Harden is 10x the player francis is

10. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I disagree. We've seen first handed what a legitimate well respected coach ( Coach K ) can do for Harden. I think having a guy with a strong voice and guidance will be the best thing to happen to Harden's career. Will he get that in his time with Houston? Im not so sure.

11. Marteen

Marteen Member

I truly believe McHale should only be evaluated until the season has ended. The team has gone farther under him than any other previous team in 17 years. Firing him now sends the wrong message to the players, imo. Think about it. "Damn, they just fired coach like that?" The players are to blame, and we are way too quick to put the coach under the bus when the players should be the ones to look at themselves in the mirror.

1 person likes this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's where I've been on this topic. Wait until the end of the season, or at least until the break. If this slide continues for the next several games, however, I may change my mind. It may end up being necessary to can McHale just to shock the players (like James) out of their reverie.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think some of Harden's best growth from a leadership perspective was on Team USA under Coach K. That experience was the springboard to Harden's mega jump in improved play last year. Take that for what you will.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And Khloe's mega rump was a springboard to Harden's improved play off the court, this year.

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Harden has had better, much better. There are much better walking on a downtown block right now. Maybe the extra spotlight is what he can't handle.

16. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

that is major disrespect to Harden's game

but thats ok because stephanie curry reminds me of Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf

everybody has their own opinion, who am i to tell someone no

17. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

Lebron got the Cavs to the NBA finals under MIKE BROWN.. does that mean Mike Brown is a good coach

if not for an all-time great team in the warriors, the rockets would have been in the finals with kevin mchale...because of james harden

18. ibm

ibm Member

despite of the fact that i am aware i'm replying to a bball mastermind who says "stephanie curry reminds me of Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf", could you kindly explain how i disrespected harden's game?

what is "harden's game" anyway? take away his over-reliance of the calls from the refs, see for yourself what's left. lol.

19. ibm

ibm Member

a kind reminder: clips series, game 6, when we're about to lose the series embarrassingly,,, it was josh smith who came to the rescue. your savior, mr. harden, was sitting his arse down and warming the bench. lol. (btw, that was also a semi-brilliant moment in mchale's coaching career.)

in english, we call that "despite of" harden, not "because of". get it?

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's about the spotlight and publicity.
    Today's society is obsessed with reality shows and celebrity.

It's not about talent. People want to be rich and famous without talent or skill.

Back in the day people wanted to dance like michael jackson or be a famous actress like Elizabeth Taylor.

Back in the day, we had real celebrities