1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. awc713

awc713 Member

Matrix would be a huge piece.

I really like the idea of getting him for 1-2 years. He's 36, so lets squeeze the last of what he has left in his career. I think he's a player that wants to win, but more importantly, KNOWS how to win. Matrix would be a great fit, IMO.

He averaged 10 and 7 last year. I think he may have a couple years left in him, granted I didn't see him play that much last year. But he does have the best tear drop in the game. Shoots it at a 100% clip (atleast against HOU)

2. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Completely agree. Would be willing to guarantee the 2nd year if needed to ensure his signature.

3. awc713

awc713 Member

However, I really can't see Morey devoting that much money and/or guaranteed years to a player in his 16th and 17th year. Then again, Matrix does have a very, very good pedigree.

4. kyrie Dwight

kyrie Dwight Member

Marion for the mle is not bad we need as much depth at the power forward as we can get and maybe t Jones and dmo can learn from him

5. awc713

awc713 Member

Tjones would really benefit if he could add some matrix to his game. Both have some similarities at that age too...Big forwards who can dribble it up the court

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing the Rockets don't want to commit to any/much guaranteed salary in a second year.

Part of the reason to NOT match the offer sheet on Parsons was to preserve cap flexibility going forward. With the cap apparently expected to go up significantly next season (depending on how the new national TV deals are negotiated), the Rockets are hoping to have (near-)max cap room next summer to chase a third star . . . if they can't get one before then.

7. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Like I said before he's going to end up with the Mavs for less money than we're offering.

If we can give him the full MLE with a team option then we'd be stupid not to. I'm assuming he wants at least 2 guaranteed years and that is the hold up. I guess I can understand Morey not wanting to guarantee the second year, but I also expect us to be very disappointed again next summer then.

This is getting ridiculous.

8. micah1j

micah1j Member

the new tv deal would kick in in 2016 not 2015. Next years cap is expected to be around 66 million.

9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

If he goes back to mavs he addresses their major issue which is depth.
    And they are certainly looking better than us.

10. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Probably, which is frustrating. Is it worth passing up good options now for no guarantee next summer? If the Loves, Rondos, etc. Make it clear they are signing for Houston, then just attach a 2nd rounder or some other positive asset to offload him at that time. 5M for a quality role player is not the same as 15M for Lin so I doubt it would take a 1st.

11. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Agreed. We can't completely throw away this year for flexibility. Matrix would fit in nicely at the 4. He's such a versatile player, I think it'd be crazy not to grab him for the MLE for 2 years.

12. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Mavs only have the BAE and there are articles about how they are basically ready to move on from Marion considering he wants more than the BAE. Marion is a prideful dude so I am sure he is ready to stick it to the Mavs next year so the Rockets should be appealing. The question is does Morey feel the same way. As others have mentioned, we should offer 1 year 5 mil with 2nd year partial guarantee of 1 mil.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets offer roughly $4.5 million this season with a non-guaranteed second season, Marion would most assuredly receive more money over his next two seasons than if he signed with the Mavs (or elsewhere) for the Room Exception.

The vet minimum for Marion in 2015-16 is roughly $1.5 million. Even if the Rockets waive Marion and he's forced to take the league minimum salary elsewhere (or with the Rockets), he's still clearing $6 million over two seasons. That's more than a two-year Room Exception level contract.

I've recently heard rumblings that the new TV deal--which I believe is being negotiated over the next few months--will allow the league to "stair-step" the increase to the salary cap in over two seasons, rather than having one dramatic increase in 2016. I think that aspect played a part in the Rockets' decision not to match on Parsons: the prospect of max cap room next summer.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The great part about Marion is that his lack of a neck means that his functional height is actually greater than his listed one.

15. cbk41

cbk41 Member

I hear Murrie and his analytical team love the 'no-neck'.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If Marion can't get the $5.3 mil MLE from the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Spurs?src=hash">#Spurs</a> or <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a>, he may take the $2.73 mil room exception from the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Mavs?src=hash">#Mavs</a>, Chi, LAL or Cha.</p>&mdash; Dwain Price (@DwainPrice) <a href="https://twitter.com/DwainPrice/statuses/490956863731548160">July 20, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Harden, bev, ariza, a possible stud pg, dwight, jones will take up alot of minutes. Marion will definitely be filling in limited minutes. If he can play the Ray Allen role as he did with Heat that is worth what we pay him. He isn't going to take over games like he used to but for short burst at a time, he can show guys like Harden what it takes to get to the next level.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm not down for paying a 40 year old Marion more than $3 mm

19. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

I don't know about that, they drafted T Jones and he'd only be like 6'6" is he didn't have a giraffe neck.

20. rogower

rogower Member

So the only way Houston can sign Nick Johnson is to use a portion of the MLE? There is no other way?