1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Lower Bowl at the Toyota Center...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by moestavern19, Apr 22, 2008.

1. sabesque

sabesque Member

Maybe this thread should be dedicated to the free market, which tells the Rockets CEO that as long as there is a demand for expensive tickets, he should charge them more. Maybe you should be slamming the organization who keeps raising prices (which you seem to have experienced), making it unaffordable for most fans to buy the tickets. Or slam Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming, whos salaries make it necessary to charge $200 per game.

But you can hardly blame the business ticket holder who, after investing around $14 grand on tickets, wants to get value from the tickets by inviting prospects, or using it as a business tool.

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

The lower bowl was actually pretty loud this game. I have lower bowl season tickets and it does get bad at times, but it was plenty loud the other night

3. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

Part of hair is red & my goatee is all red, but I was decked out in Rockets gear head to toe (Rockets hat, Rockets jersey, Rockets shorts, Rockets arm bands, Rockets shoes). Which is the most frustrating, the more I supported the team, the quicker I was ushered out.

I'm on the far left:
    [​IMG]

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

this is ridiculous I've spent over a thousand dollars alone on airfare and tickets to rockets games this year and I've only been to 5.5 games this season (i dont live in houston) I would have come out more often to games if it wasnt for my work schedule. I work hard to earn my money and everywhere outside of Houston I do by lower level seats actually better than the ones that I was asked to leave out of in Houston at game 2. And yes I am just as loud and stand just us much while rooting for the rockets when they are the VISITING team on the ROAD and never once have I been asked to sit down or stop yelling by people. In fact many Laker fans and clipper fans in LA actually appreciate the fact that I get all crazy and support my team on the road.

And there is NO way you can tell me there are less "suits" in the crowd at staples than there is at the TC.

Had I lived in Houston I would have bought season tickets down there and I wouldnt change the way I attend games at all. Then what would you say?

5. thatboyz

thatboyz Contributing Member

actually, you are completely wrong from an economics perspective. sports teams, just like any individual firm, will charge the maximum that the market can bear. that's just good business, and that's what individuals do every day, we want to optimize our benefits from whatever we do.

also, ticket prices are not driven up by player salaries, instead it's the other way around. player salaries are a derived demand from ticket prices. the team charges as much as it can, and that money gets split between players and owners. if t-mac and yao took a paycut, the difference would go into les's pocket, ticket prices would remain the same.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

lmao, wow. Talk about the corporate douches getting their panties in a wad in this thread. The point of this thread is that the lower bowl is filled with people who obviously are just in the club seats because they have money or got them from their company and they don't really care about the game that much. I am respectful of other people enough to not stand in front of their view the whole game. Other people may do that, but I guess I feel sorry them not being able to see the game they don't give 2 ****s about. I'll stand up after a great play, and I sit down as soon as the ball comes back up the court.

Those people wearing long sleeve shirts know they are going to game before they leave for work and have plenty of time from the 6 hours of surfing the internet and 2 hours of actual work they do to change. :rolleyes:

Most of the poor "whiners" you are referring to have yet to earn their degrees or are still at entry level or slighty above positions who actually had to spend a large chunk of their disposable income to see the game. Guess what that means? That means they paid a whole hell of a lot more to see the game than you did even though their ticket was cheaper.

You are the true embarrassment to Houston Sports and the next time I see somebody wearing a long sleeve Jazz-colored Shirt in the lower bowl sitting down checking his Iphone the entire time and then casually glancing up to see what happened when the crowd starts yelling, I will be sure to place your attitude on him.

You are missing the entire point of this thread. Nobody is saying that everyone there needs to dress up like the Rowdies and scream bloody murder, its your ticket you bought you can do whatever the hell you want with it. It would be nice to have a home crowd that did that, but I know that isn't realistic. So do whatever you want... dress up like Greg Ostertag and tattoo Karl Malone and John Stockton on your ass cheeks for all I care. But the next time I happen to stand up and cheer for an important play and you scream at me to sit down I'm not even going to bother turning around and telling you to **** yourself. You can just understand that its implied.

v3.0 mentioned some other rabid fan bases and I can attest. I am a Raiders fan and The Black Hole is insane, you'll probably get stabbed if you go in there wearing an opposing jersey. When I went to my first Raiders game it was incredible. Everyone was wearing jerseys or black shirts, everyone was standing up on 3rd down and screaming. And it most of all felt like a true brotherhood of fans with strangers high-fiving and such. The TC is nothing of the sort. Most people just want to be left alone, and just sit there. Whatever though, they own the seat they can do what they want, just respect my right to cheer every good play, be loud when we need a defensive stop and actually give a **** about my team and try to support them in any way. If you can't respect me, then I certainly won't be respecting you.

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

**Attentions wh*re alert** oh wait...

8. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

Attention w****? ME? NEVER!

Now, I don't know if you're kidding . . .

9. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

Do you guys want to try and do something about it for game 5? I just got a call from my friendly group sales rep and they are trying to sell out game 5. I hope they get the chance. I can't start threads, does someone want to start one in the tickets section with this information. We would need to decide on a section. If there is interest, let me know.

BTW, thanks to those who spoke up for me in the promote a rookie thread.

10. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

You must be tired from being such a good fan all the time.

11. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I know everybody can't do what I do, but I have to raise my voice when people b**** and complain that we don't throw down money for the team, and 1/2 the time its poster that are "out of town" or peole that don't have the money to get over here and attend a game, yet we have people from OTHER STATES (tm1ym11, The_Yoyo, rocketsjudoko, joshbo90) and cities within the state (GRENDAL, LAYGO) put done money all the time and take crap from rookies posting idiotic threads to "fill up the areana" and "be loud" so the camera/national audience can see us.

You can only do so much to make members in this thread happy, 95% know what me and the rest of the members do to do our part, the 5% just has me riled up to make random rant posts like this.

Basically it comes down to do your part, and don't complain while you can't do anything yourself.

12. tm1ym11

tm1ym11 Member

Thanks for the shout out Dave to all the out of their towners that make it out to Houston to catch our Rockets. Don't even want to mention how much money goes into our Rockets because rather not get into numbers and such. As you know I usually try to make it out to Houston for a regular season game, for the playoffs and of course whenever our guys come into LA. Yes I have school and work to worry about which I do both full time but I feel if there's one priority in life (our Rockets), you can always find the time to work something out. There's only so much one person can do when attending games, it takes a group effort to get everyone into the game.

13. Karl Malone

Karl Malone Member

As a Jazz fan, I can't understand the lack of enthusiasm at the Toyota Center. When I used to go to games back at the Summit, the atmosphere was completely different.

I would be ashamed. As someone posted earlier, that kind of stuff would not fly up at ES Arena.

14. sabesque

sabesque Member

On your first point, not very different from what i said. Not a difference in kind at all.

On your second point is pretty wrong. I remember looking at an nba chart that said 75% of all the money earned by the teams goes to players salarys. 75 cents of every dollar you spend at Toyota Center goes to our roster. And you better believe that when we were over the luxury tax threshold, the CEO was pressuring ticket sales, sponsorship sales and suite sales to make that money up.

Also, players salaries are not derived from ticket prices. players salaries are derived from demand for players. Players salaries are an overhead cost, just like staffing at any other firm. Companies invest in talent in order to compete, but if your company is willing to invest heavily in talent, it has to be able to make up revenue in other areas.

15. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I totally agree with you, sir. In fact, I find the noise level very distracting when I am trimming my nails or talking to my secretary Veronica on the telephone. Also, for the price, the facilities are hardly adequate. I would expect at least a teakwood tray in the back of the seat in front of me to place my Grey Poupon and hot dog upon, but instead I had to permit placing a flimsy cardboard tray with said hotdog in the lap of a brand new Paul Smith suit.

I was traumatized by the savagery of the working class people around me, with all of their pointless nose-making and beer swilling "fun" that yes, I managed to stain myself with the errantly dropped and previously described hotdog.

I'm still looking for the fan responsible, and when I find him, I'll make sure I am compensated for the damnable torture of these uncouth "fans" who can't seem to sit still. I made sure to leave three minutes before the game ended so I wouldn't have to fight the crowds or risk another assault from another "fan." I learned my lesson the last time I was there when I stayed too late and found myself trapped in a slow moving crowd and was nearly struck upon the head by a minority, completely unaware of how much more valuable my happiness was than his. Imagine the scandal!

This is the most outrageous thing to happen to me since that hippie tried to make me smoke a mar1juana cigarette at a Willie Nelson concert.

16. bravo six

bravo six Contributing Member

hahah.. that was great

17. TheHangover

TheHangover Member

LOL at all of you clowns ripping lower bowl people. If they choose not to wear Rockets jerseys and shirts it's because they're adults and not 5 year olds. After you hit the age of, I don't know 18, you should probably stop wearing the jersey of another adult. They wear blue button-downs because that is their jersey. These people you're criticizing worked their asses off to be doctors or lawyers or businessmen. I don't live in Houston anymore but when I go back the fans are as loud as the team warrants. Maybe some fans are less enthused now because the team can't sniff the 2nd round or win a big game.

And note that the stereotype of corporate big wig with corporate tickets is way overblown. There are plenty of families and individual professionals who own season tickets. In fact, the wealthiest man I know who is the CEO of a local company, owns 4 2nd row seats and gives them all away to employees, who are largely middle class(<100k). The average Clutchfans poster DOES NOT represent the average Rockets fan. This is a great forum at times but it is a very jaded group. The loudest or brightest fan is not necessarily the best. Think of it this way, more money spent on tickets means more money in Les' pockets means more money funneled directly back into the team. Now who is more important? The loud drunk with a red goatee or the guy with club seats whose company sponsors the team?

18. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

That does not computer with self-proclaimed hardcore fans.

They don't seem to understand everyone shows their fan...dom (is that even a word?) in different ways. I consider myself a pretty hardcore fan. The Rockets are just about the only team I watch every game and follow. I MUST be hardcore if one can come to this bbs and not be immediately think the Rockets are the worst team in all of western civilization. Shout out to Bill Walton.

19. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Oh, man that is funny stuff.

With all of these taxes I am paying, I should be able to decide who is allowed to go into what sections at games. All you prole neandrathals aren't allowed in my section anymore. You can all stay in your paygrade, the upper deck on the baseline.

I will sit down in the club section, have a scotch or two, and enjoy a basketball game without having to worry about you fat idiots with your goatees and sleeveless shirts bothering me. You can all go maul each other or scream and cuss or punt babies or whatever in the rafters . . . hell, I don't know what poor people do anyways.

20. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I'm not rich, but that made me laugh.