1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The local Navy Recruiter

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by moestavern19, Apr 16, 2003.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Here's a new topic!

Now you people know who you are, You are in your youthful prime, and that Navy recruiter guy is bothering you, getting your info and everything and since you don't want to be rude, you go along with it. Then it comes down to the interview and who knows what you'll sign when he gets you all alone. Here's my story.

So this guy catches me at work one day about two months ago, and since I'm the greeter at K-mart at seems harmless enough, he talks to me pretty quickly and gives me a little navy cd-rom thing. next time he sees me its the same old talk, then its "hey did i get your info last time we talked" trying to be sly I told him he did, but he's one step ahead of that and tells me "just to make sure" he better get the info again. Sees me a few more times, every time I talk to him I'm acting half asleep and totally unenthusiastic. Well since my job expired last week, the guy calls me up on monday (waking me up) and sets up an interview, I act my usual boring, half dead self and answer his questions. He wants his appointment at 1 PM tomorrow.

1 rolls around today and I totally don't wanna meet with this dude. so around 1:40 he calls and my mom hands me the phone. Me being a sly b*stard, I decide to confuse the hell out of him and talk to him in a really bubbly voice, like I'm richard simmons or someone similar with a teenage accent. He asks about the interview and I give him a 5 minute lecture on how I love my country and the navy is great but just not for me, and then about how my dream is to become an investor and make millions of bucks. The poor guy was so confused He didn't believe he was talking to me and kept asking me questions to make sure it was really me. Needless to say I bet the guy is still confused and thinks I have schizophrenia or something.

Semper Fi!

I feel really bad about this just now :(

hopefully he won't send the national guard after me or anything seeing as he knows where I live.

2. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

LOL!!Interesting story.I'm lucky I haven't been in this situation yet. Hopefully it won't happen.;)

3. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Wouldn't it have been easier to just say that you were gay?

4. treeman

treeman Member

Just tell the man "Look, I'm really not interested. I've been talking to an Army guy..." and he'll leave you alone. ;)

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I agree, it never hurts to tell the truth.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

So you wouldn't be hurt if I called you a b****?

:)

7. Oski2005

[​IMG] I thought I made it perfectly clear that the TRUTH doesn't hurt.

Sorry, that's the best I could come up with. You had a good comeback, nice and snappy, but you're still gay.:)

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH.

shhhhhh, don't ask don't tell...

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fourty sailors head out to sea. Twenty couples come back...

I actually kind of feel for those guys. Screwing with people who are doing an important job isn't nice, but I'd imagine that given the demographic that they're looking at, they probably get that alot. I know at 18 I didn't have enough respect or enough practice at rejecting people to do anything more than you did.

From what I understand these guys will also often get yelled down or threatened by parents that don't want their kids in the military. In spite of this they ususaly seem to do a pretty good job of persuing their potential recruits without doing "hard sell" crap or intentionally distorting the truth.

If it happens again say "No" the first time you are approached. If you make it clear that you're not intrested early, you do a much better job all around than comming up with some lame excuse down the line.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah, Don't get me wrong, I told the guy I love my country and I love what you guys do for us, but I just don't think its for me. I know it wasn't nice to set him up like that, But i'm a person that can easily be pushed into things sometimes. Really it all stems from the fact that my grandpa was in WW2 and he's spent most of his latter years saving up money to make sure all his grandkids go to college. He told me to get an education and not to get mixed up with the military while a war is going on, I respect his opinion more than anyone elses, so thats pretty much my stand on it.

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The recruiter seems to be harassing you, but you showed interest so I don't blame him. Saying 'no thank you' is not rude. It's polite.

12. Heretic

Heretic Member

Hah, my Army recruiter set up 3 different meetings that I never attended before he finally said **** it and just set up a meeting at my house. He went the extra effort to explain the options so I decided to sign up for the delayed enlistment program back in october of 95 and went off to basic in July 96.

13. drapg

drapg Member

Is it that difficult to say "No thanks" upon first meeting a recruiter? This isn't meant to be rude or sarcastic, but is a serious question.

I mean I get approaced by people hawking their products on the street all the time when I'm at a stoplight. It's worse when I have the top down in my convertible. They come straight to me first and keep asking me and trying to convince me. I just keep shaking my head no and ultimately drive away when the light turns green.

I know you were at work when you were approached, but you could have just told him "I'm working right now. I'm not interested and I don't have time for this. I could get in trouble with my boss for fraternizing."

14. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

I hope this guy never stops calling you and gives your number to the Army, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard too. That's what you get for not telling him you weren't interested in the first place and wasting his time.

15. Oski2005

You were in the military? Maybe you mentioned it and I forgot or something.

16. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Wow, military recruiters must be really aggressive in the US. I don't think I've ever heard of an incident like this up here in Canada. If you're interested in serving, you pretty much have to go down to the recruiting office and get the information yourself. No one will come to you. They may hold public information sessions or something like that now and then, but they certainly won't come up and grab some random kid at Wal-Mart and start talking to him. Maybe our military is just more polite. ;)

BTW, I applied for the Navy last November. Still waiting for my application to be processed by the officer selection board (will hear beginning of May).

17. Buck Turgidson

In honor of fadeaway's commitment to serve his country:

"Canada Warship Seizes Tanker in Arabian Sea" -- Reuters, Feb. 8, 2002

CANADIAN WARSHIP SEIZES TANKER IN... WAIT...
    CANADA HAS A WARSHIP?
    Oh Right, and Switzerland Has Nuclear Weapons

Arabian Sea (SatireWire.com) — Canadian television reported Friday that a Canadian warship in the Arabian Sea had seized a tanker suspected of smuggling oil from Iraq, leading many to suspect that the report was a hoax.

"You're kidding, right? Canada has a warship?" asked U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld. "Like for war?

"Does Canada know?" he added.

"Nobody was more stunned than we were," said Kali Omari, first mate of the seized vessel. "We saw this frigate steaming toward us, and we were worried, but then we saw the maple leaf on the flag, and we thought, 'Oh, Canadians. What the hell do they want?'"

When an officer of the HMCS Vancouver announced that the tanker was about to be boarded, the crew of the detained ship was confused, said Omari, but their confusion quickly turned to anger when they saw what the Canadians sailors were carrying.

"They were armed. With guns," said Omari. "Canadians. With guns. And a warship. What is this world coming to?"

"They were pretty rude, too," Omari added. "They started asking us all sorts of questions, like 'Where did that oil come from?' But first we wanted to know who gave them the damn warship."

According to Canadian defense officials, the Vancouver is one of four frigates deployed in the region to assist in the U.S.-led Afghanistan conflict. The tanker was stopped, officials said, because its cargo of crude oil violated United Nations sanctions, which prohibit Iraq from selling oil unless in exchange for food and medicine.

The U.N. said the incident is already under investigation, and promised swift action against those found responsible for giving the Canadians guns. Initial findings indicate that the Vancouver crew may have been watching too many American television shows.

http://www.satirewire.com/news/feb02/warship.shtml

18. Mulder

mg]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/lachen/laughing-smiley-014.gif[/img]

19. Mulder

[​IMG]

that's what I get for not hitting preview first...

20. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member