1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Little Black Book of Available Coaches

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smoothie, Jan 10, 2016.

1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I'm glad you appreciate it! I literally chipped away at it a little each day since the morning after mchale was fired.

it took a long time and some research, but it had an interesting side effect... i started watching games specifically for the coaches. especially college teams like arizona, utah, and uconn just to see these guys coach.

2. TheresTheDagger

BIG fan of Larry Krystkowiak. I think with what you wrote here, he would be a great fit in many ways...both in terms of the system he wants to run and the ability to coach players that all successful college coaches must have. He's also an ex NBA journeyman who played for 9 seasons with 6 different teams so he should be able to relate to the pro player well.

As an aside, (and in the name of full disclosure) the guy attended the University of Montana as a player when I attended (played under Coach Mike Montgomery before he went on to coach Stanford) and is still a legend. He won conference player of the year 3 of the 4 years he attended as a power forward and still holds just about every record at that place. I even had him in one of my classes while we were attending and he was a pretty smart guy.

Would be cool to see him coaching at the NBA level anywhere but I would be ecstatic to have him in Houston. :p

3. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

In what way did Mark Jackson create a mess in GS?? Lol

He deserves a TON of credit for what they became. He just couldn't get along with people.

4. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

I want Battier and Hayes as Assistant coaches.

5. DustinS

DustinS Contributing Member

6. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Great post!

Go back and fix the capitalizations and Clutch can put this on the front page of the main site.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I can't see Luke Walton leaving an assistant coaching gig for one of the top teams in NBA history, in possibly the most desirable city in the country to live in (if you're rich). He will be a head coach one day, but he might be looking for an even bigger landing spot than Houston.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i think les is getting ready to downsize not only with the roster (getting under the lux tax), but also with the coaching staff. les will fire em all except for finch. and finch's primary responsibility will be to place a laptop on a courtside chair, open it up so the built-in camera is functioning, and turn up the volume on the built-in speakers so the players can hear. yes, les is just going to cut to the chase by eliminating the middle man, and let morey's computer take over.

9. basketballholic

Did anybody notice JBB drawing up the play in the huddle last night and Finch not even in the huddle? Maybe this has been a common thing but why would you leave out your offensive coordinator?

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Coaches meet on the floor prior to the huddle, usually, as the players take their seats, get water and whatnot. Then the head coach talks to the players.

Using the term "offensive coordinator" makes it sound too much like the NFL. Doesn't work the same in NBA timeouts.

11. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Bballholic for once has a point

12. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

He actually makes quite a few good points, he is just very strongly opinionated about some things that can be hard to agree with.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

bbholic does make quite a few good points, but on this one i have to agree w/ heypee. even mchale used to meet w/ his assistants out front for the first ~15sec of a timeout and then proceed to the bench alone to discuss w/ the players.....at least that's what i remember seeing game after game

14. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Great post! Though the number of ex-Spur players from the rivalry years makes me want to vomit. That should be automatic disqualification.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Well if you consider missing practices, taking credit for the schemes and plays practiced and drawn up by his assistants and being routinely out coached by Kevin McHale good things; then by all means you are right.

I like the fake Christian minister scam angle he worked, coupled with being extorted by a w**** and getting the FBI.

NBA action is FAANNTTAASSTTIIC!

16. alethios

alethios Member

Thanks for the great write-up, research and well-thought out OP, smoothie. I have different opinions now of who should be our next coach based on what you presented. I'm for one, really intrigued by the idea of Jim Boylen as the HC. He seems to be the best fit here.

17. basketballholic

I'm pretty sure late in the game that there was a timeout and JBB went right to the greaseboard without meeting Finch out on the floor. That's why I brought it up. It didn't appear to me Finch was involved at all. In fact, Finch just kinda looked away and stared into the crowd on the opposite side of the floor. (Maybe I missed something on the bench beforehand, but I'm almost positive the timeout was called and JBB went right to work on the greaseboard.)

#57 basketballholic, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

me too. he's my choice. i'm just worried about his compatibility with morey.

19. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

20. MONON

MONON Member

smoothie! When Codman says "Awesome post", you know you've "hit it outta da park"! Thanks for the thoughtful research. GOAT

I agree with JB till the end of the season, just to see what he can do with the new roster.