1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Little Black Book of Available Coaches

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smoothie, Jan 10, 2016.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

Budenholzer will be another name added to the list after this game.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

No way they're gonna let him walk or fire him.

Although in today's coaching world, never say never.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Just like there's no way we're going to fire Murray i guess ;) but maybe Bud will leave himself if he knows that Horford is out.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Beat me with the edit :grin:

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Haha, can't rule out anything but I'd be surprised if either side decided to move on.

Love to have him though. Couldn't even get an interview with him last time.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, i'd be surprised too and i would also love to sign him.
    Not going to keep my hopes up though :(

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bud's getting killed on twitter. :grin:

You can't trap off Love. And yet Atlanta is still trying. I'd be livid if I were an Atlanta fan. Their coaching blows this series.

It's like Budenholzer thinks the numbers are going to regress to the mean but they ain't regressing

Mike Budenholzer has not found one way to guard the pick-and-roll. SVG and the Pistons gave the Cavs a tougher test.

I wish I heard what Budenholzer talks about at halftime. Because his adjustments are ass.

How many times is Budenholzer gonna watch the same exact play happen before he says, ya know maybe this isn't working? Lol coaching???

Did Budenholzer come up with the game plan to dare kevin love to be the one to beat them? How is he so wide open all the time?

Budenholzer is so stubborn about not changing his defense.

why nobody be talking about how bad budenholzer be getting outcoached

Mike Budenholzer, you're not playing Boston anymore. Stop trapping on every screen that involves Kevin Love

Budenholzer hasn't made adjustments to their defence all series.

I've lost all of my respect for Mike budenholzer. Absolutely zero adjustments being made

budenholzer is an awesome coach but he has no ****ing clue how to put together a playoff rotation or make adjustments on defense

And for all the love Horford gets on here as the 3rd potential "star", is that the guy we really want? Not that he's to blame because when you're swept(or lose in 5), it's hardly one guy to blame but very underwhelming in this Cavs series.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Well, that's what fans/critics do and will always do to/when someone is losing...

Will be fun to read a lot of Hawks fans asking for Bud's head after this or next game cause they think their team is just on the same level of the Cavs.

Maybe this will help him out from the Hawks :grin:

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

About Horford yeah, he's not playing very well this series, but he's just not a superstar, he's more like a max role player who can basically do everything pretty well, similar to what Green does for the Warriors or Bosh did in the big three era for the Heat, just my two cents.

10. DuDDleyDawsonII

Horford looks really slow and awkward .Do not want

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i've been against chasing him for MAX money for the simple fact that we'd be the worst rebounding team in the league

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, he makes D-Mo look good rebounding.

He had 14 rebounds....in 4 games.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I'm giving an edge to Vogel. I look at it like this: Both are great defensive coaches. Both are great at game management and preparation. Both are great at making adjustments. We will improve a lot under either one. So what's the deciding factor? Offensively Joerger wanted to play faster, but couldn't get the vets on board, and didn't have the roster to do it anyway. Instead he ran a half court flex offense. Vogel also ran a flex offense, however he tried going small and implementing the very popular "pace and space." For whatever reason, it didn't work with the Pacers. Maybe they didn't have the right personnel, maybe he didn't really know what he was doing, but one thing is for sure - unlike Joerger, he got the vets to buy-in.

Either one will be running Moreyball - pace and space - offense in Houston. Our players, and management, are all bought in already. Joerger wanted to do that in Memphis, but couldn't. Vogel prefers bigger and slower because that's what he's used to, but was open to trying and got the players to do it. So do you want the guy that agrees with the team philosophy, but struggles with getting the players on board? Or do you want the guy who is stepping outside of his comfort zone, but gets the players to buy in? Its more complicated when all the players have already bought in to that type of offense. But when you have one in particular player who hasn't bought into playing defense, a coach who can get buy-in gets the edge in my book.

I think Vogel can learn pace and space. Morey will give enough suggestions, maybe keep Finch as an assistant. But can Joerger get his players to buy in to a philosophy they dont agree with (harden, defense)? Vogel critics will say he didn't hold his players accountable and just wanted to make them all happy. Well there are holes in that theory since you don't get everyone to change their style of play without holding people accountable. This critique was actually focused on Monta being a wildcard on offense, and Vogel not being able to get him to stick to a set. The truth is Monta has his lowest usage rate in years. But Monta will still be Monta when he gets the ball. I'd call that duel a draw rather than a loss for Vogel, and I especially wouldn't count it against his ability to hold players accountable.

The other thing that makes me lean towards Vogel is the way Joerger ended his tenure in Memphis. Asking for permission to seek interviews for other jobs while under contract? I don't care if he felt belittled by the management for not including him in roster decisions. If you dont want to be there anymore, step down, but dont ask to interview somewhere else while you're with us. Thats a character flaw, and a second red flag.

While my vote would be for Vogel, if I were Les or Morey, I would let Harden pick whichever one he is actually willing to commit to playing defense for.

#293 smoothie, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm still amazed how in 2016 people expect big men to start hitting and defending 3's but continue to get the same number of rebounds as they always did.

I think it's time to look at rebounding differently. We have to expect more rebounds from the non big men because there are a lot more long rebounds with more 3's being taken.

This is why we need a forward thinking coach. To design a team based on the present and future, rather than last season and the past.

15. abaker28

abaker28 Member

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Really, really great analysis smoothie, thanks!

In the end, you make a really good point, the most important point, whoever gets Harden to "buy in" to doing all of the right things, and to maximizing HIS game, which then lifts the team, is the right coach.

18. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

19. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I prefer Vogel over Joerger. Something about Joerger seems very slimy, used salesman-esque

20. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Horford's only a good get if we get Durant. It makes for an excellent vet crew for a championship run. But if we strike out on Durant, you want to definitely go younger (Whiteside etc).