1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

the legality of mar1juana

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by insideout, Jul 19, 2000.

1. insideout

insideout Contributing Member

with the recent mack and jabbar issue.. do you guys think that weed should be legalized.. keeping in mind other country's approaches and our own history of prohibition in addition to current legal products like tobbacco and acohol?

------------------
    rat-a-tat-tat, who lost a Cat?

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

<MARQUEE><H2>YES......YES......YES</H2></MARQUEE>

Drugs drugs drugs drugs, everybody loves drugs.

Youre probably wondering what Im on [​IMG]

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

[This message has been edited by JayZ750 (edited July 19, 2000).]

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

5. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

One question...

Would you rather have a guy drive you home who had:
    A.Smoked a joint
    B. Drank A 6-pack of beer

My answer would be A

If Tobacco and alcohol are legal than MJ should be as well. The entire plant can be used.
    The seeds (which have none of the active agent THC) have a higher protein content than soy beans
    The leaves can be made into fabric and rope that is stronger than any fabric or material used.
    The buds are used to ease the pain and nausea from chemo-treatment and glacoma patients.
    The final reason would be that the government could tax the crap out of it! [​IMG]

------------------
    Houston Rockets Forever!!
    In Rudy We Trust

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Actually,
    The final reason would be that we wouldnt have to worry about people like Kareem Abdul Ja Blunt or Sam "GIve me some Smack" Mack, or even worse, a much needed player like Steve Francis (if he was smoking pot--im not saying he is) getting in trouble anymore.

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

7. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

its bad for you..but if i eat 200 apples then it would be bad as well..everything shoudl be done in moderation...when you begin to do it all the time it takes away from your motivation and that i think is the real problem with it..that being said it definitely is not as harmful as alcohol especially in relation to driving...

the big joke is that it should be legalized but its big business guys....the gov't (local especially) and local business do quite well with all the court time..attorneys, bail bondsmen, tow truck people..court fines...drug offender classes..the works...someone has to support the red tape and gov't spending/infrastructure and whatever other bull**** so why not the harmless dude with the hookah?

it is just another form of taxation and therefore will probably never be legal...

just go to amsterdam and smoking skunk number 5 mixed with silver haze is all the more enjoyable... it feels so wrong and we cant do it here..that almost makes it better when you are there..if not post oak and main is another possibility although not as scenic..

the sad part is we are supposed to be the 'land of the free'

thats an even bigger joke....

------------------
    i am scottie brooks

8. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

JuanV: That's been tried before - didn't work out too well.

Maybe we should outlaw coffee too? [​IMG]

My opinion: mar1juana use harms no one but the user. Even stating that it harms the user is debatable but irrelevant to my opinion that it is nobody's business who does or does not use it. The criminalization of mar1juana is paramount to outlawing personal choice.

The area where the government has the right and responsibility to step in is when those "under the influence" do endanger others, such as driving or performing surgery. This would hold true for alcohol, mar1juana or any other mind altering drug.

However, the idea that some otherwise perfectly normal person should be considered a criminal becuse he/she likes to smoke a joint while sitting on their couch watching the tube every night is ludicrous.

------------------

9. mc mark

ChrisP,

You hit the nail on the head. It is not a war on drugs, it is a war on Civil Liberties.

We might as well throw the 4th amendment out the window. It seems that our gov already has.

------------------

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Nicotine is already a legal drug that is deadly . if you legalize pot will people stop using it so much ? most people smoke it because they want to do something daring

------------------
    Will Work for Clutch 101 Book

11. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

No. I think most people smoke it because it makes them high.

------------------

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't see a difference between a person drinking lots of alcohol compared to someone who smokes a joint other than one used to be illegal and one is illegal. I have a lot of friends who drink till there is no tomorrow. Others prefer to relax with some bud and forego the alcohol. Does that make that person a bad person? If so, how? Most people who smoke pot are not sitting around watching TV all day long with their Mom in the background saying, "Are you going to get a job today?". That is just a bunch of bull****. Pot smokers are just as smart and even smarter than most of the drunks of the world. There are exceptions in both areas who qualify as losers.

What amazes me is some of the penalties for just having some for personal use. They want to lock you up and throw away the key while making the taxpayer pay for your room and board. It's absurd. Most of the people in jail are in for drug related infractions... no matter how minor they may be.

I would much rather be driving my car behind a stoned person than a person who is talking on a cell phone....stupid cell phone drivers kill more people than weed ever did. And it's legal....but that's changing soon to. How much of your life do you want restricted by the government? Pretty soon...their going to be telling us when we can wipe our ass! Amsterdam has legalized soft drugs and the drug usage there is actually lower than it is here and decriminalizing it has actually made it a non-issue. Nobody cares about the law here...they are going to do what they are going to do anyway. But, it will never, ever be legal...that is the truth.

Surf

------------------

13. insideout

insideout Contributing Member

well. here's my take on it:

1) we spend so much money on the "war on drugs". granted cocaine and heroine (which are deadly mind-altering drugs) are lumped in there.. but still.. massive amounts of resources are used to combat an inffective pursuit. we could much better use the funds elsewhere.. like education, which is more more important than the possible effects of mj on the us populace.

2) by legalizing mj, we can better control it's effects.. through taxation, corporatization, regulations, standards for uses...

3) the outliers who now use mj as a rebelling cause---and thereby going way overboard and endangering themselves and others---have less reason to do so if it's legal.. the black market economy of mj will also subside (see no. 2)

5) see prohibition of alcohol. does not work.

6) other countries around the world don't seem to have a problem with this issue... the us is fighting primarily a MORAL issue.. which should be up to the individual under the Constitution.. when you restrict individual liberties due to morality, then it goes against the intent of the American law system.

7) caffeine is addictive. so is tobbacco. but in moderate lifestyle, the harm to society is negligible compared to the cost of prohibition. the same can be said for mj.
    moreover, in my opinion, tobbacco is even more poisionous than mj.. the only reason why it is legal is due to the fact that tobbacco was historically an ingrained part of the South's and America's economy.. thereby perpectuating structural corporatization.

------------------
    rat-a-tat-tat, who lost a Cat?

14. mc mark

Inside,

At one time in our history Hemp was as ingrained in our society as much as tobacco. Washington and Jefferson grew it, as did many of our founding fathers. Do people realize that our declaration of Independence and constitution were both written on Hemp paper?

Do some research on the true reasons the drug laws were enacted in the first place. This is just one of the reasons. It had nothing to do with "they are bad for you". But rather because when the pharmaceutical industry first started gaining ground they wanted to make people buy their products. So they lobbied for "drug laws" It all comes down to the all mighty dollar.

IMO alcohol will always be the most dangerous drug ever. And it has been widely shown that it is the true gateway drug. Not weed.

------------------

[This message has been edited by mc mark (edited July 19, 2000).]

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If marijana was legalized, would offenders in jail/probation/parole get dropped?

------------------

16. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I don't like or take drugs, never have never will.

------------------
    please venture to atheistalliance and rocketsonline
    I AM SPARTACUS

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

How about neither one? Or is that not a choice? [​IMG]

------------------
    Just shut up and post

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

DEAN, what does your comment have to do with this debate? Are we supposed to applaud? Why doesn't every forum member who doesn't do drugs or alcohol please post so we can really hose this topic. The topic is legality of mar1juana...not do you do drugs?
    I think we could care less what your on or not on. Maybe we should quit wasting tax payer dollars on a losing war and you could still have the freedom of choice to not do what you don't do already. Millions of dollars are wasted...that money could have gone toward cancer and AIDS research. Hell, we would probably have a cure for both by now with reduced crime and jailed potheads if our government knew what the hell they were doing.

DOD, I agree that the obvious choice of a straight person should have been included with that question. But, what about the unsober idiot in the car next to you? He's waiting to run you off the road into a pond full of water so you can drown [​IMG]. He's probably listening to his Napster-downloaded MP3s on his car stereo with the sound full-blast just itching at the chance to wipe you out. So, even though you want that option available, the other car probably never even heard of that option [​IMG].

Surf

------------------

19. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Here's one for ya.....

The first laws regarding hemp in this country stated that you had to grow it. It was in Virginia that the law stated that a certain pecentage of your land had to be set aside for hemp.

Hemp was criminalized in the 20's(Marihuana Act of 1928 I think) mainly as a prejudicial move. It was a direct attempt by the government to suppress the largely African American Jazz movement and it's members.

------------------

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

George Washington grew that s*** man. You ever look at a dollar bill? There's some weird s*** going on there. But you know, behind every good man is a good woman. And do you know who that woman was, it was Martha Washington man. George would come home after a long day in the fields and she would have a bowl waitin' for him.

She was a hip, hip lady, man.

------------------
    Going for the Rolls Royce!

visit www.swirve.com

[This message has been edited by Rocketman95 (edited July 20, 2000).]