1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The left ascends to power in Greece, creating uncertainty and hope

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Jan 25, 2015.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Well, this will be interesting. I don't mind if they leave the euro. Have been to Greece many times. You see a lot of buildings and properties with signs that these were made possible through EU funding. Unfortunately, I think that they have huge problems with corruption and fraud. Even the whole country only got into the EU through fraud. There is too much of an attitude where tricking the state and stealing from it is seen as an achievement - and they certainly applied that attitude to their dealings with the EU and with loans from other countries. They will most probably manage to escape their responsibility for whatever they owe now...but once they are on their own, they must escape that attitude for their own good.

The left being in power now probably doesn't mean anything good for their economy in the longer run. The left being in power never does.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

The sense of entitlement and ungratefulness by the deadbeat Greeks is remarkable.

There was a time when debtors were rightfully seen as degenerates. Now they riot in the streets, like a child sitting on the floor screaming in public when he doesn't get ice cream.

And then they issue threats, "if you don't take care of us, we won't be able to take care of ourselves, and that will be on your conscience."

Merkel should tell them to pound sand.

3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Oh, Merkel already has. Greece is undergoing something right now orders of magnitude worse than the Great Depression.

[​IMG]

Thanks austerity.

On your point of debtors--

can you discern a trend?

[​IMG]

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

How about "Thanks for tricking your way into the EU through fraud. Thanks for borrowing more than you already knew you would ever be able to pay back. Thanks for using state money and put it into everyone's own pockets."

How about taking some responsibility?

7. Major

Major Member

It's no different than the entitlement of the lenders. They kept buying Greek debt because they wanted to make higher returns. When it looked like Greek wouldn't pay, they begged the EU to bail them out and keep Greece afloat.

It's interesting to see the one-sidedness of the responsibility equation, as though lenders play no part.

8. Northside Storm

Taking some responsibility = going through one of the greatest manmade economic disasters of all time?

There is simply no excuse for the troika, many of whom (German banks especially) had heavily invested in Greece and played a large part in enabling wild overspending in the first place. They knew what would happen when they pushed the austerity button, and they've known since 1937. This is a bitter politically-motivated punishment, and it is deliberate.

Given how the Eurozone crisis bears a large relationship with debt deleveraging caused by 2008, I see this as another case of an entitled class of investors breaking everything, then reaping all of the rewards. While global wages stagnate, and the welfare state is retrenched, investors can't place any wrong bets because the government will support them at every turn, and not demand anything of them when the chips are down--they will always choose to sacrifice the average person before.

Meanwhile, the Greek suicide rate, unemployment, and infant mortality soar (thanks to cutting proper prenatal care), and it's the Greek people who have to take more responsibility.

#28 Northside Storm, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  9. Northside Storm

oh, yeah, then I'm with you.

sadly that would have caused a market heart attack, which CANNOT HAPPEN.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You seem to think that a defaulting debtor has no responsibility whatsoever.

Can I borrow $ 1 million from you?

I promise to pay it back.

Thanks in advance.

11. Northside Storm

You seem to think that an economic depression orders of magnitude worse than the Great Depression is not taking responsibility. This blood-letting is completely unnecessary, there is an established procedure for country bankruptcy that involves a heavy dose of responsibility: market aversion to your bonds (well, at least until the market forgets what all the fuss is).

What's happening to Greece isn't what would have been the normal market consequence for default: it's far worse, a politically motivated scalping of a nation's people in the name of "moral hazard"--that bugaboo that's enforced with normal people--but forget trying to enforce losses on a market that's already priced them in.

So yes, to use your simplistic and not well-thought device, you can borrow $1 million, but if you don't pay me back, we're not going through the established court system. I'm coming over to your house with a hammer. Once I'm done, I'll need you to "take responsibility" in other ways, like bashing your head against the wall without me being around.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

This is an older article, but this Greek person (in a leftist newspaper, too), has a different take on this than you.

Greece's despair is the product of political ignorance
    To save itself, Greece must realise that its crisis is the result of three decades of incompetence and corruption

Contrary to what outsiders may think, most Greeks do not spend their time throwing Molotov cocktails, or even protesting. In fact, though the austerity measures demanded by our international lenders have affected millions of lives, some hundreds of thousands of them dramatically, the great majority of Greeks face the crisis by doing what most people do during hard times: they try to make ends meet as best they can.

Yet this does not make good television, while militants in hoods and gas masks firebombing policemen does. So, many non-Greeks believe Greeks are not just lazy but also ungrateful and, probably, mad. None of these generalisations is true: most Greeks are hard-working people, the extremists who provide such great TV to the world number no more than a thousand, and the great majority of the demonstrations that daily disrupt Athenian life are only attended by a few hundred cadres of the parties or public-sector employees' unions organising them.

This is not say Greeks are happy with their situation. They are not. But though the hardships of many, especially the jobless, are undeniable, I believe our despair is more due to ignorance than anything else. In fact, though I generally subscribe to less optimistic explanations of human motivation, the present Greek crisis reminds me of Socrates's most-often quoted piece of wisdom: that all evil is due to a lack of knowledge. I can't help thinking that if only someone (old and bearded, ideally) could reveal the essence of our problem convincingly, then Greeks and non-Greeks alike would see the truth, and implement the actions necessary to solve our problems. For you cannot have good therapy without good diagnosis.

What makes ignorance particularly frustrating in this case is that the facts are at our fingertips. Let me give you one: although 750,000 people (15% of our workforce) have lost their jobs since the crisis began, not a single one is from the wider public sector, which employs one out of four Greeks.

The story behind this figure tells us all we need to know. First: what we call a crisis is the result of actions performed over decades. Second: its creator is an ineffective, incompetent and corrupt political establishment, which transformed politics into a mechanism for exchanging favours with votes, most of the former having the effect of making the state more ineffective and costly. Third: the critical point came when this mechanism became so ineffective and costly that it brought down the rest of the economy. Of course, the international financial situation, banks, speculators, crooks, etc played their part in making things worse. But they couldn't have done so if Greek politicians had not destroyed, over 30 years, the heart of our economy.

Today, politicians are bickering about who is doing more to save the country: the loan-signers, who are agreeing to more and more austerity measures, or the loan-deniers, proposing what they call a "nationally proud solution", a catchphrase that appears in various forms in the rhetoric of extreme right and extreme left alike. But both sides are denying a truth: the loan-signers that the reason more austerity measures are required is that they are unable and unwilling to cut public spending in rational ways; and the loan-deniers that their "proud solution" is a synonym for the indescribable misery of default. Both are lying for profit: the first to protect their clientelist networks, financed by public money, the second to drive Greece to the state of chaos and misery that forms the preferred habitat of extremist politics.

Actually, we don't need a bearded old man to tell us the truth about the crisis, but a little boy. For the statement that Greek politicians are to blame is as obvious as the emperor's nakedness in Hans Christian Andersen's famous fairytale.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/feb/20/greece-crisis-ignorance-protest-corruption

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The euro was a catastrophic idea. If Greece was still on the Drachma, they could have addressed most of their structural problems with hyper inflation. Now they have no options because the EU won't let them do anything that will screw the euro for the other members.

14. Northside Storm

I agree completely with this statement I quoted from your article. I don't disagree with the premise of the article, but I would question the weighting of responsibility--Apostolos Doxiadis is a talented writer and mathematician, but I question his knowledge of how much "crooks" made the situation worse given his scant references to the topic, and his background that doesn't naturally suggest an inclination to economics and finance.

Let me also clear this up for you:

I have never defended the Greek government, and I believe they bear their share of the burden. Attacking one side of the equation does not mean I don't hold opinions on the other.

The Greek people do not equal the Greek government, but even if they voted 100% for every administration, they don't come close to deserving a deliberately engineered Great Depression x2 for the sake of being "responsible", a word which you seem to be wielding like a sadist's whip.

Remind me--why is it that Greek infants are dying for this larceny--do they bear the sole "responsibility" of bad political and economic infrastructure made worse by a European and international financial elite? Or is this ill-thought out punishment akin to Versailles, and likely to slow European growth, drive Greece to its political fringes (you should thank the heavens Greece chose Syriza rather than Golden Dawn--or maybe you won't.), and cause unneeded grief, in a world that really needs no more?

#34 Northside Storm, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    2 people like this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Greece is the TMac of Europe?

16. Major

Major Member

If I agree to that, that is my fault. You seem to think the lender has no responsibility for making bad loans. No one was forced to invest in Greek debt.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Have you taken any finance classes? You will demand a higher return for taking more risk. If you want to less risk don't buy greek bonds.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes I have.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You are being a complete drama queen. Just because you implied that you are transgender or whatever doesn't mean you need to act like a hyper-PMSing woman all the time.

20. Northside Storm

You lost the plot, don't have any points, and I still know how to push your buttons.

Have a good night. :)