1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Last Straw

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheresTheDagger, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Link?

DonnyMost likes this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, he asked you for a link and you said you basically made it up.

3. Bandwagoner

Link?

Nook and DonnyMost like this.
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Im not a straw guy at the restaurant. They're annoying. It trips me out how popular they are outside of cups with lids.

Are people just germaphobes?

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I used to think a lot of crude was spent on plastic. Its only 4%.

I've been working at Igloo in Katy. Its a trip going through all that plastic. They crank out coolers to the point whenever im there im like who is buying all these coolers

6. cml750

cml750 Member

Banning straws is useless. If they want to ban something that we can mostly all agree with, how about packing peanuts? Packing peanuts are absolutely terrible. Not only do they get everywhere while you try to get the item you received out of the box, if you put them in a dumpster they blow everywhere when the wind blows.

#86 cml750, Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Actually looked into this and turns out that it's not the plastic they are trying to stop, it's the damage that plastic straws do to wildlife as birds and other wildlife are chocking on them apparently.

In that context it makes sense for a town by the sea to ban something that is creating a lot of dead animals.

8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't we just get rid of sliced bread, instead? Or are you just talking about grocery bags?

I gotsta have my trash bags and zip locks.

9. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

What do you the mean the poor? The poor don’t use straws as they drink water from a cup without a straw.

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Yea the poor never go to fast food restaurants.

11. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Actually most poor people can’t afford fast food they eat at home.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I seriously doubt Santa Barbara is packed with poor people - assuming you have never been there. More likely the straws being disposed on the beach are killing wild life.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

A straw (plastic to paper) cost anywhere from 0.5 to 10 cents. It’s not about to compete with milk, egg, medicine, housing, gas, healthcare, clothing, higher education, school meals, school supplies, ...

If you are caring about the poor, straw costs is so low on the list, someone might think you aren’t serious about caring about the poor when you elevate its importance, especially with a history of not supporting programs for the poor.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

P much.

I don't buy this sudden concern for the poor at all. You can make an argument that single use plastics are more environmentally friendly (at least for now), but spare me the "think of the poor" rhetoric.

Factory farming is a boon for the poor as well, but I don't find the practice and its negative consequences defensible in the name of giving the poor access to more chicken, beef, and pork products.

I'd rather give those folks healthcare and education so they can become better functioning and contributing members of society and perhaps not need to rely on irresponsible production models to sustain or better their lives.

Nook likes this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

LOL. How about you make something up regarding the EU? I got the link for that... teehee.

16. dmoneybangbang

Reduce Reuse Recycle

Reducing is the most effective.

17. dmoneybangbang

You and your ilk would still b**** about that.

18. Bandwagoner

You abandoned that thread after grumbling about libertarianism. That was a flameout.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Ditching packing peanuts has already come a long way. I don't think I've even seen any in a while. Mostly I get the inflated plastic strips. That's probably another single use plastic that we'll need to excise, but they at least have displaced packing peanuts, which are terrible.

I think most people are just thinking about grocery bags. I think garbage bags are pretty safe -- not even sure what the environmentally friendly alternative would be unless everybody starts composting.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It isn't useless.

I'm not sure the last time I've seen packing peanuts.