1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Largest Statistical Difference Between HOU and ATL/GS: AST RATIO

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crossover, Mar 19, 2015.

1. jedicro

jedicro Member

The only player besides Harden whom I am confident in when he has the ball is DMo. He will quickly rotate the ball around the perimeter or set himself up in the post. Every other player doesn't seem to have good instincts and the ball gets "sticky" when they get it.

Sadly, Papanikolau also worked very well in the offense and would always make a quick pass or drive and kick. It sucks that he's not getting minutes. I kinda wish we had developed him more instead of getting Josh Smith..though I understand with the injuries of Dwight and Jones we desperately needed a big.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

lf you want to shoot that many 3's per game you have to go out and get the guys who can consistently hit the shot. Harden gets guys wide open looks routinely, he probably misses out on 2 assists per night on dudes just bricking.

Alot of new faces that are getting used to one another will probably contribute to a TO problem. What this team may lack in sexy stats I think it makes up for in 50/50 balls and hustle plays. When the game is on the line the only thing that matters is which team has the assassin on their side. We got one.

3. jedicro

jedicro Member

Actually you bring up a good point. Such a high percentage of our shots are 3 pointers that they will affect the number of made baskets which in turn will lower the number of assists. I wonder what the total "points from assists" is for us and how that compares to other teams.

4. RESINator

RESINator Member

Add Kevin McHale to that list as well OP

5. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

i think Melvin Hunt is a better coach than McFail and I also think we have one of the worse coaching staffs for a winning team. I think the Pop tree of coaches are better at assembling a coaching staff and implementing their strategy than McFail and his cohorts.

Sad but true.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Triple threat.

7. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Imo, it' not just about getting better shooters.

Ariza is the best example. In WAS, he was shooting one of the highest 3P% in the league and volume shooting 3s. Some will argue it was a contract year but I think that argument is baloney. It's hard to legitimize that a player suddenly starts shooting the best long ball of his career because he wants more money. Also, he puts in the most effort night in and night out out of all the starters in HOU, so it's not like he stopped trying in HOU.

The difference is simply that he had different roles in the offense and that WAS had more offensive sets. There is a huge psychological difference when you curl off a screen on the wing or someone draws a defender and kicks to you in the corner and that 3p shot is designed for you. The problem is our offense is "read & react" with people who aren't offensive initiators (other than Harden).

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Maybe but it stops the possession.
    That possession might have lead to an assist . . .not all free throws are on shots

Rocket River

9. koldlaser

koldlaser Member

I expected the Rockets 3 point % to take a nose dive with the addition of Smith & Brewer but it didn't really change that much. I suspect this style of play will produce mediocre shooting no matter the players.

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

2 years ago we were 1st in attempts and 8th in percentage.

It's not the style it's the shooters.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not true at all - Harden is an elite distributor, he opts to draw contact instead of passing off for a possible assist. It would have earned an assist (or at least a chance at one, had he opted to draw the foul instead.

Furhter, the Rockets foul-drawing style also puts them in the Penalty earlier which means you can't get assists at all, and necessarily lowers your assist ratio.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Give it up Sammy.

It is all McFails fault.

The current Rockets could easily be 73-9 with a strong leader like Steve Kerr.

Fat slob Harden is a ball hog w**** and McHale doesn't call set plays. Indeed, there are 4-5 players on the Rockets bench that could shoot 55% from 3 if McFAIL would only play them.

13. joeson332

joeson332 Member

All that said and done, those shots HAVE to start falling sooner than later. We are in the later parts of the season, a drastic change in the philosphy of our offense is something I don't see coach McHale doing anytime soon this year.

14. joeson332

joeson332 Member

How are people like you allowed in garms? :confused: :confused: :confused:

15. Nook

Nook Member

Indeed.

16. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Out of our top 7 in 3PAs, 5 are shooting above their career averages.

ARiza .333(.344 career)
    Harden..374(.370)
    PatBev .350(.358)
    Terry .381(.379)
    Brewer .309(.293)
    Smith .313(.281)
    Donatas .371(.313)

That hardly seems like any sort of evidence.

17. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Lol I mean a strong leader like Kerr..what has Steve Kerr done to be given that reputation as a head coach?? 70 plus wins in today's western conference? James Harden is a fat slob? Lol fam.....go get laid.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Go on .........

19. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

It will never come together in Houston. Not winning another title, ever.

20. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Hey.....dont you have a thread for this? :rolleyes: