1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Knicks are Knuts!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dreamshake, Jul 14, 2001.

1. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Did anyone else just see that they signed C. Weatherspoon to a 5 year near 30 million dollar deal?!?!

Someone tell them to slowly put the crack pipe down. Did they not realize the first time that giving big money to an undersized, underatheletic, underachieving PF was a mistake?

My God, who did they think they were signing? Kelvin Cato?

------------------
    "I have amazing, powers of observation"...Pink

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I wouldn't say he's underachieving... Weatherspoon is actually one of the more underrated players in the NBA. He gets you a double double almost every night, works hard, doesn't complain about touches, etc. For a big man who can give you those things, a little over 5 million a year isn't that bad. The Knicks needed a star big man, but if they are unable to land one (it appears that way), a hard worker and double-double type like Weatherspoon could be a good fit.

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

3. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

What are you talking about? He averaged what 10 points and 9 boards a game last year, on a absolutely horrible Cavs team, who had no one else at all to 1. rebound 2. Score for them. All that while working in the Power forward (not to mention Center) depleted Eastern conference. I believe the two years prior Spoon averaged around 7 or 8 points, and around 5 boards a game. Last years numbers may of been high, but again look at who it was for.

------------------
    "I have amazing, powers of observation"...Pink

4. The Cat

11 and 10 actually. [​IMG]

The two years before he was a backup in Miami, wasn't he? Anyway, I may be wrong, but from the times I saw him he seemed like he would be a good fit for a team like the Knicks. He worked hard, was physical around the basket, and didn't command many touches. He isn't Webber, but I think he's the type of guy who could help the Knicks. It'll be interesting to see if they start him-- LJ certainly isn't deserving of a starting spot anymore, and while Thomas is a good player, he would be a great 3rd big man to have as your 6th man. He might could even compete for 6th man of the year, while spelling both Camby and Spoon. Imho, the Knicks needed some depth and toughness up front, and Weatherspoon addresses both of those needs. Perhaps his price tag was a little high, but he had been rumored to go at around that price all month, so it shouldn't be a major shock.

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

5. IVFL

IVFL Member

spoon is the poor mans barkley. he is a solid player but I dont know if he is worth that kind of money and he is definetly not the kind of guy that gets you over the hump

------------------

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Spoon's a relative bargain, especially based on what guys like MacCullough are making. 5 years are alot for a guy who's already 30, but he's a legitimate 3/4 who can get you double digit rebounds - a true rarity in today's NBA. He is what Kenny Thomas (or Corliss Williamson) should aspire to become. Really, it's too bad that he had to deal with the Charles Barkley comparisons early in his career - in another situation, I think Spoon might have developed into an all-star caliber guy.

------------------
    I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip that I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think the problem with the Knicks is that they have too many forwards like Weatherspoon already...hard workers, not a star front court player, mixes it up, undersized..

Larry Johson,
    Mike Wright,
    Kurt Thomas,
    Othella Harrington,
    And now Weatherspoon?

They already got Camby, Knight, Channowith, and Spencer to play Center...

I think this means the knicks just want to get some bodies to put a deal together...no way that these guys are all gonna be on the roster come Oct 31.

And don't think any of these guys is gonna play SF, because that swing position is taken by Spree, Houston, and Rice, and maybe Brunson.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

Must be something in the water up there, cause the Nets signed Maculloch to a McLvaine type deal. And guess what, they still have him too!

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

9. The Cat

Actually, most of those guys either suck or play a finesse game (Harrington, Johnson). Believe me, Travis Knight, Mike Wright, Felton Spencer, Chenowith, etc. will see almost no time on the floor next year, as they didn't this year. Wright is a 2nd round draft pick; the others are essentially 7 foot stiffs. You can't count on LJ for much anymore, so to be totally honest, the Knicks had 3 quality frontcourt players before last night: Camby, Thomas, and Harrington. They needed a 4th, esp. with Camby being injury prone. Four quality frontcourt players (5 if LJ can play) with complimentary skills can give the Knicks a lot of options to go with next year.

------------------

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

10. The Cat

double post

------------------

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited July 15, 2001).]

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I remember when Clarence Weatherspoon first came into the league he was tearing it up for Philadelphia. IVFL is exactly right, he's a poor man's Charles Barkley. I think what they are paying him, the Knicks, is a bit high though. I think he is worth 3 or 4 million a year maybe, if he is starting or is a top big man off the bench.

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

More like a homeless guys Barkley. [​IMG]

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Not like the Knicks seem to care about how big their payroll is anyway... sure pay Weatherspoon tons if he's going to make them a better team! His true value shouldn't really be an issue when talking about playing on the Knicks.

------------------