1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Knicks are getting screwed no matter what

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aroundtheblock2, Jul 18, 2017.

1. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

When your BEST option is to give up picks to get rid of Melo's contract...You are not screwed? And don't forget about matching salary for the trade.
    Knicks is in rebuild mode, and you want them to dump picks to dump Melo..

2. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Knicks should cut losses and just do what's best for building around their young core.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  3. Remlap

Remlap Member

My understanding is that NYK has no leverage to 'set the terms'.
    They have 3 options
    A) Keep a disgruntled Melo and suffer along with him for the next 1-2 years (and tarnish their reputation to vet FA's)
    B) Work a deal with Houston (NOT Miami, NOT Portland because Melo holds the No Trade Clause)
    They cannot currently wheel & deal with any teams that Melo does not agree to
    C) Buy him out and let him walk to Houston and play with CP and James

Sort of a stand off, but Melo is surely in the driver's seat thanks to Phil Jackson. lol

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I think there is as much of a chance of Ryno having a great season as there is that Melo survey's the league and sees another team he might fit with. Buying out Anderson still puts them on the clock for another 2 years of cap hits, albeit slightly smaller than Melo's current hit. I do like the idea of parlaying Anderson's contract into smaller ones, but if that were possible (and the forecast could change) I think we would already be doing that.

They could also find a team who is under the cap, having an abysmal season, send them Melo/crap/picks and Melo agree to said trade because that team will guarantee he is bought out.

5. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Your scenarios were realistic last season and before the offseason. Knicks waited too long and went too far. Melo's agent is telling management that you did everything you can over the course of a year to run Melo out of town and he finally agreed to a trade. You had a trade done and everyone was told he was going to Houston. Now you have reneged on the deal. Melo is in Houston in his mind. This is his chance to play with friends and WIN. Melo has been classy. That is why they have been able to wait this out as long as they have. Just a week ago, Steve Mills was laughing at Melo's workout video. Do you honestly believe that Melo's is going to squander his last chance to win for people that have no respect for him. He is getting paid either way. They have opened the door now to where if he turns on them no one is going to blame him. Every day they blame the Knicks. He is still following the path of least resistance but if they try the things you mention he is going to make life unbearable for them and they have no ability to stop him. They can buy him out or trade him to Houston. If they force him to play for the Knicks, his agent will promise to opt into the final year of the deal and he will burn their house down. For these reasons Melo is never wearing a Knicks jersey again. Youth movement my a$$. Try two years of every young player on that team and around the league doing everything they can to stay away from NY. You think Noah is a bad contract. Wait until you see how desperate they have to get to sign players if they go this route. Someone will get their money but it will never be a player like Melo for at least a decade. NY is not coming back anytime soon. LAL might but that is only because of Westbrook or George. LBJ is not going there and those two may stay in OKC for the money even if they lose. LAC were so desperate that they refused to rebuild because they know what happens when those guys leave.

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Options A and C have the same outcome for the Knicks. Yet again, it's their decision to pursue your list, so yes, they are in the driver seat here. Literally, they are the ones making the choice.

Also, this idea that NY was going to lure FAs is comical. You mean they are going to get more of the likes of an elderly Amare or Tim Hardaway Jr, but now have fouled that up. Woe is me!

7. Remlap

Remlap Member

That's the first thing you have mentioned that would make any sense in dealing with any other teams.
    Your LAST line: "Will guarantee he is bought out".
    Of course he would agree to that. That is one of his primary goals.
    NOT to play with Portland or Miami, but to be free to go to HOU

8. Remlap

Remlap Member

I can tell you are not in sales nor in a profession that requires negotiating.
    Just because one has options does not mean they have any leverage and are able to choose a good outcome
    Passengers on the Titanic had options too. But doesn't mean they were good ones.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

So I never mentioned Portland, nor do I find them to be a viable option for anyone. Your reading comprehension appears to be low. There is no way in hell a team with the number 2 payroll that gets swept by the warriors round one will be alluring to anyone.

Like I said, because you seem to not understand, the longer NY forces him to wait, the more it causes him to rethink the two teams listed. Maybe he doesn't waiver, maybe he stays resolute, or maybe he sees a team ready to compete with the assets necessary to get a deal done and expands his list. I mean hell, everyday we are hearing more and more about how Cleveland is falling apart. If LeBron, Kyrie or Love had an injury you don't think he would reconsider them as a destination. The plausibility and possibility of that is decent, it is the NBA.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Again, I said the decision was the knicks one, they are in control of what path they choose. You are slimming the paths down to the three you've listed, and that's fine, what I'm saying is waiting can conceivably open (and yes even close off) other ones as well.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Doubtful, in fact there's almost no chance that happens, but for sure that's what the Knicks would like you to think. Bluffing like they might actually hold on to Melo is the only play they have left so I don't really blame them for trying.....it's just not going to work.

12. Remlap

Remlap Member

I respect your opinion brother. And I applaud your positive outlook on NYK's position.
    I just don't see it they way you do. Along with most others.

Not gonna argue about it. The options are few.
    We'll see if he ends up in Miami, or whatever 'bandwagon' team he may not be able to resist, like you say.
    I have my doubts he changes his mind on preferred destinations

#52 Remlap, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    ilovehtownbb likes this.
  13. Pizza_Da_Hut

I think after this season the two teams listed are subject to change, at least Cleveland is. I don't see Cleveland winning it, and they could possibly implode. Doing so would eliminate them as a choice. Also, heaven forbid, if the Harden and Paul experiment were to fail Houston falls out as a possible destination too.

So the worst thing to happen to the knicks is success for either the Rockets or Cavs. If they believe neither of the two teams will be successful, then it's on them to force Melo to wait. I buy into the Rockets being successful because I'm a fan, and albeit really biased. I also think Cleveland is showing cracks. I wouldn't even take a tip jar bet of $50 that LeBron will be a cav in 2018-2019. I could see him leaving.

NYK could see things the same way, or they could see it differently.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Also, let me note, I desperately want Melo to come here. I think we surpass the warriors if it happens. The raw offensive talent, position less basketball, oh god it just sounds amazing.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's 0 chance that the Knicks go into this season with Carmelo Anthony on the roster. Again, you are buying their BS bluff that pretty much no one else is buying and I'm not terribly sure why.

Carmelo Anthony has told him he does not want to play for them, even the Knicks can't be foolish enough to think they can hold him hostage and have it work out well for them.

Remlap likes this.
  16. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

LOL. I thought this line said it all. Not trying to knock you, just thought it was funny ... and you are correct.

Remlap likes this.
  17. Pizza_Da_Hut

My heart is on your side, my head is not. I hope I'm wrong.

18. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Can someone post a starbury gif

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think that's backwards honestly.

Looking at things logically and realistically, the Knicks simply cannot hold Melo hostage in NY so he has to be off the roster by the start of the season which means there are 3 ways that can happen.

Trade to Houston
    Trade to Cleveland
    Buyout

In 2 of those Melo ends up in Houston and the other option is unlikely due to Melo being a poor fit or a lateral move.

Those really are the Knicks only options, but i can understand being paranoid when a situation looks too favorable to an outcome you want.

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  20. the shark

the shark Member

"Where the Knicks front office REALLY screwed up was three years ago"?

REALLY????

The list of where this ownership group "REALLY" screwed up goes on for years. So much so that this franchise is now one big laughingstock and one HUGE CLUSTERF...!!!

The elite free agents won't even sit down and talk to them let alone sign there.

You don't think everyone in the league has watched how they treated Melo the past year (trying to run him out of town)?

I am no way going to try and defend Melo as he's shown his M.O. is all about the $$, however he (nor anyone other player in the league) deserved the way they've treated him. They wanted him out and he finally gave in and said ok and here's two teams he'd waive his no trade clause for.

Of course the Knicks are going to wind up on the short stick with this, but they have NOBODY BUT THEMSELVES TO BLAME!!!! They have one last opportunity here to show potential big time FA that they're going to do the right thing. If they want to sit down one last time and ask Melo if he'd consider staying great. That conversation takes a few minutes. If he says he wants to go to Houston or Cleveland than they better damn well make it happen no matter what and even if they're getting screwed.

They want to play hardball with him and not trade him or buy him out and MAKE him stay there every player in the NBA will see this and if they think things have been tough for them the past 17 yrs they're going to be in for a rude awakening. KP is already DISGUSTED with them and you can bet the minute he's a FA he be gone.

A wise man knows when to cut his losses and start over, but we're talking about Dolan and the franchise he's made one big freakin joke.