1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Kings should stop taking Daryl Morey's calls

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dream lover, Sep 25, 2014.

1. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

2. NotChandlerParsons

I don't think so as (1) most teams and players aren't gonna pull stunts like that and (2) the second rounder still has other benefits like stashing players and not being subject to the rookie scale if you want to bring over say, a very good overseas player.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

What kind of article will they write after Morey flips Terry's contract for another starter.:grin:

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I don't necessarily agree with everything in this article due to some leaps of logic. But there is a point.

That being said. I thought that all articles and media bash Morey nowadays because he's been exposed as a bad, overrated GM according to some posters here. :rolleyes:

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I was thinking about the same thing when I heard about the Celtics-Cavs trade.

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

no, the early second rounder is *normally* very similar in talent to the late first rounder, but with the added advantage of greater salary flexibility for the team.
    The guaranteed first round rookie scale calls for guaranteed number of years and amounts that are proportional to the position selected.

7. thething

thething Contributing Member

Not the same type of deal. Bogans has a nonguaranteed portion of his salary that can become VERY attractive to teams wishing to shed salary. I know at least the 2015-16 year of the contract is fully nonguaranteed.

Terry's contract is just an expiring albatross of a contract.

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

In Sacramentos defense, just about every asset they acquire starts to depreciate the second it steps foot within the city limits. It's like Sacramento is a giant sinkhole or something. Nothing they can do about that save get out like the Maloofs.

9. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Hopefully other GMs reading that article are smarter than the writer.

There are 30 teams in the NBA. If your team is a playoff-bound team, you're really only fighting against 3 teams in your conference and the best from the other conference.

If you can plug a big hole in your roster by giving away a player whos skill set you dont need, who might be a better talent than who you're asking for in return, to a team you're unlikely to face in the playoffs, then what's the big deal?

All this one GM trying to one-up the other GM in a trade, that could be true (Isaiah Thomas Knicks GM), but the smarter GMs know they're beating the other GMs who are not in the trade.

Its like fantasy basketball. Nobody wants to trade their hotshot center when they're already leading the league in blocks by a huge mile and the team's last in assists and 3s.

10. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

They make trades so much over the years that i thought they ought to change their team names to Sacramento Rockets and Houston Kings.

11. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Actually it might improve it early second as as the reason Josh agreed to the arrangement is that he might not have even been a 2nd round pick. It's moves like these that allow more marginal players to be drafted in the first, leaving the early second much more tantalizing.

12. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I'm convinced Morey gets his drink on every now and then and prank calls Petrie in retirement to tell him he's got a deal.