1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The jokes on us...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by We're Back, Jul 23, 2003.

1. We're Back

We're Back Member

I posted a thread around the time that we fired Rudy T that CD had to go too. In fact I said that CD was a joke. His supporters all chimed in that he was one of the most "respected" GM's in the league, and that every team carries their share of bad contracts. The James Posey situation is just one example of how the team is going to be forced to pay for CD's mistake for the next few years. Every team carries their share of bad contracts, but it is time to wake up to the fact that the Rockets carry far more than their share. In fact, short of Cat, Franchise, and Yao EVERYONE (save for obvious exceptions like Jauqin) in our rotation is GROTESQUELY over paid, or is still on their rookie contract, sucking it up, hoping to join overpaid club one day. Brent Friggin Price will probably be on the sidelines in a suit next year on somebody's IR because of CD. Think about that, CD supporters, and please enlighten me on why I am wrong.

2. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

You can't mention Price and leave out Matt Maloney! :mad:

3. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

You may be wrong because you have no idea what they are doing and thinking. The free agent signing date is barely a week old. We have over 3 months before the season even begins.

Too many people make too many assumptions on what the team is or is not doing. Any long-time Rockets fan knows that they will never tell us what they are doing until it done.

There's also too many people who want to be "right". Everyone's hoping that they can say "I told you so."

It just gets old after a while.

Sit back, have some patience and see what happens.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

So we're mad that Les is overpaying the whole team, but we're also mad because we WON'T overpay Posey?

I don't get it.

OV-ER-REAC-TION...clap, clap, clap-clap-clap.

5. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

It is difficult to have patience when the evidence of poor CD work is extensive.

6. gideon27

gideon27 Member

How many playoff teams have as many bad contracts for unproductive guys as we do? Um....

Our bad contracts are what is keeping us from success. I used to think CD was great, and he did a great job getting the likes of Steve from the Vancouver trade, but what have we gotten since then. He followed up that one with the Cato blunder. Not very impressive over the last few years.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Your 3 exceptions:
    Francis
    Mobley
    Yao

Minimum:
    Maddox
    Hawkins

Rookie contract:
    Nachbar
    Griffin

No contract at all:
    Posey
    Morris
    Collier

All those grossly overpaid guys:
    Rice
    Taylor
    Cato (I wouldn't say he's overpaid. He makes standard money for a center and is actually better than most of them.)
    Norris (While overpaid for his contribution, he was only paid a little over $3 million last year -- not exactly a cap albatross.)

8. TheRaven

TheRaven Contributing Member

I think CD was made a fool of by the coach hiring episode. His hide was saved by getting Van Gundy. Second prize would have been Dunleavy. I think he overestimated the appeal of the Rockets' job and thougt that Brown and Silas were salivating to come here. Brown had Detroit locked up and played that like a harp. I think Silas was mildly unimpressed.
    As respected as Rudy was, I just don't think that we're considered by most of the league to be a top-tier organization. Time may change that but for right now, we still look a team coming up short of their potential. They even botched the logo deal. Finally put up so everyone would shut up. Not the most well thought-out merchandising campaign ever devised.

9. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I just like the words "cap albatross."

10. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let Posey walk. S&T Rice for a real wing threat. Wait for the deadline.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

That paragraph makes absolutely no sense. CD was made a fool by hiring someone that you think was a good choice? You have no idea who CD’s top choice was. If it was Van Gundy then CD looks golden not like a fool. And find me just one legitimate source that said the Rockets were even mildly interested in Silas?

You can’t like the Van Gundy hiring and think CD came out of it looking like a fool. That is just ludicrous.

12. TheRaven

TheRaven Contributing Member

Don't misunderstand. The results were fine.
    I said the episode was what looked like it was lacking in competence. We were not, as it was portrayed, the prime coaching job out there. And I think that Van Gundy found that maybe he wasn't as in demand as was thought.
    Bottom line: We got a good coach, although maybe not the top pick. But we didn't look so sharp in the process.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Amen.

But -- second guessing is requisite.

14. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Yes, I agree CD is not very shrewd enough like other GMs. Steve Patterson held his ground w/ players. Right or wrong he held his own against Dream over the "faking the injury to renegotiate my contract" fiasco.

Patterson comes close to Gerry Hunsicker, very stern.

15. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

We have 3 "bad" contracts:

Moochie: Sucked bad last year. Hopefully works his ass off this summer or we bring someone in who knows how to pass the ball over dribbling.

Cato: Was on my **** list 2 years ago, but this past season he showed significant signs of improvement as a solid backup at the 5. Is his salary still ridiculous? Yes, but at least he is improving.

Taylor: Kind of a Juwan Howard type. Loves shooting J's - Hates playing D. He started nailing jumpers and baby hooks towards the end of the season - guy still has game left.

Rice is not a bad contract. Ok its bad, but we get some much needed CAP RELIEF next year when he comes off the blocks. That is good.

We all knew BEFORE hand that bringing someone in via free agency was not going to happen. CD made this clear that they would try, but nothing was promised. That still doesnt rule out TRADES. Something the Rockets have been known to pull off a time or two. I dont think we will stand pat.

I think its way too quiet...... which usually means that a BIG trade may be right around the corner. I dont think there is any way we stand pat. We already know that Cat and EG have been mentioned in trade rumors, so I would expect something to happen. If it doesnt I would be a bit surprised.

Patience young grashopper. :)

16. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Will Eddie G. develop like Jermaine O'Neal, maybe ??????
    Will Maurice Taylor continue to recover and improve??????
    Will Moochie come down to earth and play more consistant???
    Will Nachbar be a has been or will he turn it around???????
    Will Cato slump back or continue to pick it up and hustle??????
    Will Steve take it to the next level and make this team better??
    Will Cat bring a new energy and improved PG% this season???

The answer to these questions will seal the final legacy for CD and Rudy, this is the team they put together.

PS- Can't fault anybody for drafting Yao Ming #1, that turned out to be the right thing no matter what happens from here on out.
    He showed enough of the potential that dictated the intial decision. The rest will be history.

17. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

for Cat I meant field goal %

18. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

A lot of people assume that we can get no better unless we bring in new players. By making this assumption you must feel that all of our players can do no better than they did last season, that there is no room for improvement.

Well, many of you got you wish when Rusy was shown the door. These people wanted Rudy gone because they felt that he was not utilizing the available talent.

Enter Jeff Van Gundy.

We've yet to play a game and now all these people are predicting doom and gloom because we aren't out there signing every available free agent.

Make up your mind.

Either you think that our players are bad and can never improve or you think that these players just needed the right coach to set them in the right direction.

We've got loads of potential and talent. There is no question about that. Why not wait and see what JVG does with that talent and potential.

Once the season begins and come January we are barely .500, then you can blame the players. The we should be hoping for a big mid-season trade. If we are kicking ass then you can rest assured that you were right about Rudy; the players just needed better motivation and a different leader.

The past has shown us that lineup changes do not always equate to success. Clyde helped us get title#2 in 95. Charles got us past Seattle in 97, when we posted our best record. That's really all the success I can think of at this time.

19. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I actually think your right and that a major factor in Brown and Silas disinterest in the job was the fact that CD had essentially locked up all of the players on our roster for many seasons to come giving the new coach very little roster flexibility. JVG is stuck with the players he was givin and will be so for the next few seasons.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Please don't repeat the fallacy that Silas wasn't interested in the Rockets; years from now, people will think back and believe it is actually true. The Rockets were never interested in Silas. He never had a chance to turn the job down.