1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jekyll and Hyde Identity or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Asik and Dwight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shastarocket, Nov 10, 2013.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Remember when Morey traded our starting PG 50 games into the season to bring over a middling backup PG? Or when he signed an unknown PG playing in Russia and traded away our starting PF and backup PG for a washed up 30yo SF averaging 5.5ppg? How about when he…well you catch my drift.

My point is, there is ALWAYS a method to the madness.

I am speaking, of course, about why we continue to stick with the TT starting lineup.

Take a walk with me and ponder one question: Why start TT rather than simply utilize it as-needed?

Before the season even began, Morey admitted that the team was going to try out the TT lineup for limited stretches. However, as soon as Asik was healthy enough for the preseason, we learned that these limited stretches would be in the starting lineup.

What I want to draw attention to is the fact that McHale initially claimed to alternate the starting PG, but ended up giving the job solely to Beverly after only one game with Lin and the TT. In fact, even after Lin was reinstated to the starting lineup (Bev injury) and performed admirably, he was still sent to the bench in favor of Beverley!
    Now note, during this same time period, Casspi would come in to spell Asik and immediately give the team a burst of energy, however Asik is still the starter.

Riddle me this: If Lin was benched because Beverly is a better fit with Harden, then why is it that Asik was never moved when it can be argued that Casspi would be a better fit?

The answer is simple: Identity.

Think about it: a methodical, defense-oriented starting lineup that strictly serves to prevent opposing teams from effectively initiating their gameplan. With a few simple substitutions we transform into a fast and hard hitting lineup that thrives off of transforming turnovers into quick offense. This kind of 1-2 punch would be unmatched in the league.

Look back at the Kevin Pelton article. We are actively trying to install a "Jekyll and Hyde" look from a single roster. This will be our calling card.

TT is not just a gimmick, it is a calculated risk by the FO that can pay massive dividends. Everyone agrees that it can be a game changer, if applied successfully. Factor in the duality of a Lin-led second lineup and you force everyone to adjust to us.

Most importantly, we would forge a unique identity.

Besides facing the uncertainty of a new lineup and teams gunning for us, everyone is undergoing growing pains. You have to understand that this isn't last year's straightforward threes and free throws offense. This kind of an intricate system will only succeed if each individual buys into and successfully implements the gameplan.

Painful as it may be, this is what it takes to become perennial contenders, win playoff games and win championships.

It has nothing to do with Lin being marginalized, Asik being showcased or McHale being racist.
    This is the reason Jeremy was moved to the bench, why our inconsistent PF's fail to get ANY playing time, why Casspi won't get the starting nod regardless of how he performs and why Morey hasn't moved Asik.

Layers within layers, my friends. Only you choose whether to enjoy the ride or fret over smiles and eFG%.

4 people like this.
  2. linsomnia

linsomnia Member

I understand what you're saying, but it's still the case that the starters aren't playing good defense and McHale wasn't a good GM and doesn't seem to be a good coach.

Hypothetically if we can play good defense against the other team's starters and keep the game close then we can play at a faster pace off the bench and blow the game open.

It's also worth noting that TT are getting the minimum minutes together without Asik just playing 14min a game -- they're minutes just happen to be at the start of the half.

3. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Its tough 2 get it 2 work. But theres no doubt in my mind that if it does work? We will be unstoppable.

4. adobo

adobo Member

I think the biggest issue with this team right now is identity. The problem with experimenting too much is it creates a lot of confusion and a lack of identity not only within the team but also each individual players.

I think the issue started when we won a few games during the pre season using the TT. This caused our GM and management to think, hey were onto something here. Unbeknown to them, this will actually cost them a few games in the REAL season (where teams actually try) since it gave them a false hope.

There was NO top secret master plan with this TT. It was all based on a handful of results during the preseason which made them believe something that was not there. I just hope they can see it quickly enough to change direction.

If we want to be a contender this year, we need consistency in our line up and a real identity in the team and each individual's.

What I don't get is the 2012/2013 rockets (w/o Howard) and having one of they youngest and least experienced teams in the league achieving a pretty succesful year.....we could slowly sense the team's identity (i.e. know its strengths and weakness).

Then during the break, we acquired the Howard.....this would have been a massive positive for us, since we all knew one of the biggest weakness for us was our defence especially when Asik sat down.

HOWEVER.....
    for some reason, we scrap all that identity searching last season to try something completely new!! It's like starting again, hence don't be suprised why everyone looks lost out there.

Not only with the TT situation, but also the pg situation. Its all a mess.

Basically, at the moment, no one knows what the hell is the identity of this team!

5. adobo

adobo Member

After 6 games, we are looking even more lost! I hope we can all see this. I would have let it go if I see improvement. But man, I dont! So you say lets lose a few more games before we give it up?? Really? How many analysts and coaches said it can't work? Then the results come in, and its not looking good, (wen i say its not looking good, i mean its clear as night and day). Do we just say meh, who cares what other experts and the results say....we won a few games during the pre season, of course it has to work?? Its just stupid

6. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

My honest belief as to why we are running a TT is to showcase Asik for a trade.

If it works, thats a bonus but i feel like we are pushing the TT, using it at times where it is not appropriate.
    I understand the need for an identity, but if that identity isnt positively reinforced with good performance, most people would change to something else.

I feel like it is not performance/match up based but some other reason, and that reason i speculate is for trade value

7. adobo

adobo Member

Last year we finished with 45 wins....if we stuck to the same core and after the experience gained and maturity, the core (even without Howard) would win at least 50 games this season. If we add Howard into the mix, we would easily get our 55+ win this season.

Im just scared that experimenting too much at the start of this season could cost us some valuable wins and doing more harm to confidence and team harmony that what its worth.

I can already see some negative signs, so I just hope they sort it out sooner than later.

8. trock

trock Member

That 1-2 punch is consistently putting us in the hole in the 1st quarter. Might be time to consider starting with a 3-4 kick.

9. dxdx

dxdx Member

Me too, it seems like their shopping Asik, but not sure to how much effect.

I think with the current level of talent and depth in the team there is really no need to attempt to disrupt the current playing strategies in the league, and attempt a risky game-changing tactic. I mean, what's the point of bearing such extraneous risk, especially in a contending year? As much as I find the idea interesting and potentially potent, IF successfully adapted and implemented, I still think that the simplest and most logical explanation holds true. Sometimes we just want to be fooled.

10. Man

Man Contributing Member

It looked absolutely terrible in the first six minutes but looked okay later on in last night's game. I can see how it could make it very challenging for opposing teams when we start off with the TT, then come in with a totally different look, and then go back to the TT for a bit --> opposing team might not be able to adjust, is tired and worn down from either fighting down low or from having to run and keep up with our fast-paced offense.

Problem is the Rockets aren't sure of what they want to do, are confused and unsure of their own rotations and playing style.. they basically look lost and without direction/leadership.

11. SeabrookMiglla

to be honest with you, im tired of being a rockets fan. this team makes me go mejnoon. every dang season im happy one day and then pissed off the next day. its starting to interfere with my personal life and my work, and is making me drink more alcohol than originally intended. the garm has become a war zone, that of the equivalent of syria. you have many factions at play with rebels from the outside coming in and trying to **** up everything. LA still sucks and are pissed they lost dwight, and then come into our house and try to take r jobs.

if these damn players would just learn the system and start playing as a team than maybe we would be more consistent.

12. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

More often than not I hate the TT in the first period and love it in the third.

That does suggest that it can work but needs more time (read experience) to acclimate the players to it.

You should hear me learning a new song...freakin messy!

13. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

based on 7 games, we get killed at 1st quarter because TT line up does not have a good perimeter defense... I think dwight is not used to playing\defending as a 4 and instead of positioning better, he is looking for blocks... this messes up our defense switching... freeing up opponent shooters... in the 3rd quarter, the opponent is a bit more tired and they are bricking more shots... thats why TT works on 3rd quarter...

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah not buying it.

I think that McHale wants TT to work so bad, but Howard and Asik are both so limited offensively that it will never work.

With Howard manning the back line, they need to put a mobile big next to him, and IMO, he is 23yrs old and from Lithuania - you insert DMO and this team sings.

He adds the contrast that is missing from the starting lineup - and he is the ONLY LOW POST player on the team that is consistently good on the block.

When teams guard the perimeter like the Clippers last night you need to punish them on the block, and Howard is not, nor will he ever be that guy.

Dmo however - might be....

Got to get this 7'1" 260 left handed super quick man on on the court....IMO.

DD

15. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

We can have a TT - but we need a skilled big man who can post up and shoot.

Millsap for Asik? Hawks get a defensive center and move Horford into his natural spot at the 4. We get a big who can knockdown the midrange J and plays gritty, skilled defense.

Beverley/Lin
    Harden/???
    Garcia/Parsons
    Millsap/Casspi
    Howard/Motiejunas

16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

4-3, with two of those losses to the Clippers, is way too early to be flirting with trading a top defensive player.

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I can't help but to sit back and laugh.

Peep a little game. When McHale Coached the Timberwloves they went 20-43, what type of offense did he run over there. Last season we ran a read and react offense because of what? Now we are too slow things down and run a typical inside out game. Come on Man.
    If Coach Jackson would have came here, we would be running his TRIANGLE Offense. It wouldnt matter the circumstances at hand he would run his type of offense.

If Coach Sloan would have came here, dude would have ran PnR and defense defense and defense.
    Our Identity is all f***ed up because the Coaches identity is f***ed up.

1 person likes this.
  18. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

Maybe the roles should be reversed. Start the high octane offense first, then the TT after?

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Just how is showing the world that Asik cannot coexist with another center at the same time helping his trade value??? I'd say that these first 7 games might have actually hurt Morey's bargaining position. Other GM's know now that Morey will be even more desperate now to trade Asik given how horrible the Rockets Power Forward situation is that McHale would succumb to this lineup for 15+ minutes a night, and poor start after poor start.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Would seem logical that to you want to use your defensive lineup to Sustain rather than get hot offensively.