1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The James Harden Shoot Too Many Free Throws Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SF3isBack!!, Mar 26, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

aren't they saying the Rockets are boring to watch, not Harden in particularly. And even still, they are saying it less and less.

2. bongman

bongman Member

What about the double standard of some posters here when it comes to the coach? :rolleyes:

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

You never went with ballstreams? Yikes to firstrow...:eek:

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

None of those guys have scored 50 points whole going 12-27 from the field.

5. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

This is an excellent thred. Please keep us posted of future instances of you getting your feathers ruffled.

6. SemisolidSnake

Lebron gets probably half a dozen "star free throws" a game, if our last game against them is any indication. Durant had that p***y move (or "veteran move" as some will call it) where he'd swing his arms into the opponent while pretending he was trying for an actual shot. That got so bad the league had to change the rule on it.

The thing that amazes me about James is that he is legitimately fouled EVERY time he drives to the basket. He may throw his hands up in the air (and I don't know if that's completely intentional or partially due to the upward motion of arms), but EVERY replay shows the opposing player with their arm fully across both of his. It's a hard, legit foul, and the only reason he doesn't get it called all the time is because of referee game-tweaking. It's a risky move, too. He's got to know that he can hold on to that ball when he puts it out there, and most people players couldn't. It's a lot more impressive than Curry knocking down threes from safely behind the arc. Harden has literally perfected a (to this point) unguardable move.

And getting to the line a lot means nothing if you can't make the free throws, which he does. *coughlebroncough* As people have said, it's only boring to those people that don't watch the games in the first place.

1 person likes this.
  7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Do you know what double standard means?

8. HTM

HTM Member

9. koldlaser

koldlaser Member

I'm not a fan of some of the ways James gets "foul". I'm not talking about the Memphis no-call type plays. When on transition with a defender shadowing him, Harden would suddenly swerve sideway into a players chest and snapped back creating a special effects of explosion. It's not the same as bumping a defender off balance to create room for a shot. It's a bit dishonest when he does it in that fashion. Another dishonest way he creates fouls is when he suddenly swing the ball into a player's chest on transition. His arms will naturally come in contact with the guy face or shoulder causing him to lose control of the ball. I mean, as a defender there is no fundamental way to avoid that kind of collision. It puts the refs in a tough spot to penalize a defender when all they're doing is running alongside with Harden.

Yeah, other players does this also but it seems Harden does it much more. I rather see him use his natural strength to cut through and follow than to be a special effect artist.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Boring to watch = don't like that team, so I don't bother

1 person likes this.
  11. Play07

Play07 Member

I may get flamed but to be honest and not have on homer glasses, Harden actually looks for fouls more than anyone on those list & doesn't even try to finish at times. It shows often at times

HE DOESN'T HAVE TO DO THIS, HES JUST GOT USE TO IT for example his first year here he was tough going in use to tuck the ball and always look to finish (watch his first game vs pistons)

12. Play07

Play07 Member

100% homer post

13. RyanB

RyanB Member

THEY SAY HE IS THE BEST FLOPPER!!

14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

LMAO, This is funny, I saw my spelling mistake in the title but was to lazy to delete and change it. Wish ADMIN would help me with that.

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This just isn't true.

1 person likes this.
  16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

J.J. Redick was on The Lowe Post podcast recently and Lowe brought up Houston and Harden.

Redick talked about Hardens ability to get to the line and Zach asks do you think he should get credit for that, because fans just think he flops?

Redick replies absolutely he should get credit for it. It's a skill. It's something at Duke that coach K taught us to understand when the man defending you is at a disadvantage and in bad position and that you have to take advantage of it.

17. jdjd

jdjd Member

My question is if this is a DISHONEST move as you put it, then why don't more people do it?
    In a league where half of the players flop every chance they get why don't everyone merely swerve sideways into a player and get a call? or swing the ball into a players chest?
    REALLY? have you ever played basketball once?
    These are moves that must be perfected and can not be performed by just anyone that touches a basketball.
    It's not unfair, it's a PRACTICED SKILL.
    If it was just dishonest you would see the nobodies of the league doing the same thing to make a name for themselves.

18. tdo

tdo Member

It is so untrue it makes my eyes hurt. They literally had to make a rule for Durant's "shot attempt" swing through move.

For everyone saying Harden flops the most, could it possibly be that you just watch Harden more, therefore you see it more often? I mean I'm not the busiest guy in the world, but even with my somewhat relaxed schedule, I still only watch 90% of the teams in the NBA a handful of times a season. Who am I to say Harden does it more than anyone in the NBA, when my viewing sample size of 90% of other NBA players is a handful of games? Sure i think Harden flops every now and again, but to say I think it is more or less than everyone in the league would be an incredibly ignorant statement by me.

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I will say Harden at times sacrifices a finish while trying to draw contact for foul

I don't think he does it as often as people claim, but it definitely pisses me off sometimes.

whenever he makes a move the priority for him should be to make a basket not to draw a foul

20. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

But putting defenders in foul trouble is important to us also... With Harden so good from the stripe, I'd say drawing fouls is almost as important as the points themselves.