1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yes. But also - deservedly or not — a lot of it has to do with his unbearable groupies here. I know I myself am guilty of that: sоme times I put extra mustard on my posts to irritate his woke ass-slurpers here…

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

There are a ton on this website who are still clearly in the final phase

3. MystikArkitect

Why would anyone hate Jalen Green? He was the obvious choice at #2 for a team looking for star upside. Cade and Jalen were the consensus star prospects in that draft. It (likely) didn't work out for either of them. I wish he was better and am still conflicted on how to move forward with him but I don't hate the kid. It's just basketball man.

IvanLCPM, Carpe82, Amel and 4 others like this.
  4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Very good assessment. I feel the same way, Im torn and I think its because I don't know why he's playing so poorly but I can only allude it to Silas and KPJ not being here. Thats the only difference.

The offense has changed. Going through Sengun obviously slows down the offense and FVV is a slow it down PG doesnt benefit Jalen. He was at his best when he was getting up and down the floor. How often have we seen him running the court this yr?

Carpe82 likes this.
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I do think Coach Pop and the Spurs could turn Green into a starting PG in their system.

I would be a 2 year project where he is broken down and remade but Pop could do it

6. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Jalen Green hurts my eyes.

7. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

How could Jalen become a point guard when he has never shown any ability to playmake his entire life?

8. Bo6

Bo6 Member

If Eason was healthy he probably would be coming off the bench, which probably would help his confidence tremendously. But If he can't improve the 3 point jumper, I really can't defend him anymore.

I genuinely think he's made tons better of decisions this year but his confidence in his scoring ability has plummeted. He was very active on socials and is a 21 year old Gen Z so I think it's painfully clear the hate he's been getting is affecting his mental status.

I really miss the microwave- scoring Green used to have in his locker:

9. MystikArkitect

That style of basketball doesn't win. Even the Warriors didn't play like that. The dynasty Spurs or Kobe Lakers didn't either. Run and gun teams are always bad defensively and history has shown you need a Top 10 defense to win the chip. Jalen has played pickup AAU ball his whole life including his first two years here. He would've been better served going to Auburn to learn under a real coach. Instead he chose the money of the G-League and went to the worst possible team he could've that amplified his terrible habits. Not even getting into his questionable romantic choices and his less than stellar training habits once he got here.

10. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I dont think Jalen will be benched this year unless he is injured/coming back from injury. The Rockets don't want to tank his value before the off-season where you still might be able to get something decent for him (if he has a few good games). If JG is still on the team next season he'll begin it on the bench

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

Rockets didn’t even play that fast last year

they were 14th in pace and 20th in fast break ppg…we’re averaging more fast break points this year than last year

Green averaged 2.1 fast break ppg last year, and is averaging 2.0 this year

stop peddling fake news narratives

Jalen Green just regressed

12. REEKO_HTOWN

The Spurs system doesn’t use a traditional PG. Pop has Sochan running PG and he’s even less capable than Green. Like I said it’s would be a complete tear down of Green by the Spurs and they would probably make him relearn the game.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I doubt that this actually is the case....

If a team wanted Green then they would have been interested at least since last year or since the offseason.....

I doubt they will up their ante because of a few games where he drops 25 or something.

But yes the Rockets might still start him for whatever inexplicable reason to the normal fan......

14. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Has he regressed or has his role been reduced with focus shifting away from kpj/green on offense to senguin? I don't think it's just that but it's a little bit of both (regression + role change)

Either way he doesn't fit in with the current direction of the team. So his game will either need to be changed drastically (won't happen over night ) or he will be traded.

Plowman likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

Rockets wouldn’t be relying on Sengun so much if Jalen was out here hooping at a high level…he’s still getting almost 15 shots a game and has 27% usage

and with the way he’s been playing, even that is still way too high

Jalen is legit playing like a 20 mpg bench scorer, but we got him starting playing 30 minutes

What does changing his game mean atp? He can’t shoot, he can’t finish, he can’t really playmake. What are we changing it to?

it’s not like Jalen is some good cutter or spot up shooter, but we’ve got him playing out of his element trying to self-create

Jalen is a 31% spot up shooter this year…last year he was 35% which is still below average, and as a rookie he was 31%

What is a coach supposed to do with that?

I thought he would improve on year 2, but nope, he’s gotten noticeably worse

maypk and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No hate. It's only business.

He was not the obvious choice at 2. A bunch of us wanted Mobley, and a small group liked Barnes. I, specifically said that I didn't want Green due to NCAA vs GLeague...lack of clarity as to player evaluation. It was too high a pick add this kind of downside risk.

As to Cade, he's going to be a stud in this League for a long time if he can stay healthy. Look what he was doing before he went down.

JG will likely do much better somewhere else, with a wide open offense...a team that's rebuilding. Here it's like trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

The kid's gotta go. He's holding our team back in numerous ways.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Speaks for his fans too that they are holding his hands whenever he has an 8 assist night or a 7 rebound night........

That is not a player's posse or entourage that you want to have around......

The earlier those guys hop on another bandwagon the better.....

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

KPJ gave Jalen a ton of cover, by being the primary ball handler, he allowed Jalen to be a tertiary player, and to cook when he had an advantage.

Now that Jalen doesn't have someone with the skills to get to the hole like KPJ does, he has to do it himself and he isn't good at it.

Jalen doesn't fit Ime's system, he doesn't fit with most systems because he NEEDS the ball to be effective and he isn't GOOD ENOUGH with the ball to warrant that.

DD

REEKO_HTOWN and Plowman like this.
  19. REEKO_HTOWN

Yeah I feel like the only folks that wanted Green fell in love with this YouTube dunk highlights. His shot always looked overly athletic and not efficient.

I was on the Mobley camp because of size and skill for position. I understand going for high upside in retrospect though.

We were going head first into a rebuild and Green was the biggest lotto ticket in the draft. Rockets swung for the fences and whiffed. That’s ok, we got Sengun at least.

J Sizzle likes this.
  20. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Yeah Mobley vs Green was the main debate. There was a small Barnes crew and also a small Suggs crew.

Interestingly Suggs looked like a total bust but is now much better than Jalen.

I don’t hate Jalen. He seems like a nice guy. I just don’t want to watch him play basketball for the team I root for anymore.