1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The IRS Targets Conservatives

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobmarley, May 11, 2013.

1. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Found these things interesting from the article you posted.

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

This is serious stuff. It may be the most damaging of all the scandals the WH is now facing. I went through Watergate and while almost everything is compared to it, the IRS's blacklisting of political enemies is most like it. If this gets directly connected to the WH (IRS is an executive function) big trouble, very big trouble. No amount of minimizing or spin will help. Count on it.

3. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

You are exactly right, this one is not going away. I believe this will be Obama's downfall.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is this what you call "chicago style politics"?

5. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I doubt it can be tied to him, but guess we will see what happens come Friday.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

teabaggers are immoral cheaters, its only logical to pay extra scrutiny to them. Not sure what the big deal is here.

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Once again for those a little slow on the uptake

IRS Tea Party Scandal: White House Did Not Drive Investigation, Inspector General Says

WASHINGTON -- The IRS Inspector General said Tuesday that incompetence, not malice, was behind the tax agency’s heavy scrutiny of conservative groups applying for tax-exempt status in the lead-up to the 2012 elections.

A 48-page IG report explicitly stated that the IRS behavior was “not politically biased,” that it was due to lower-level staff who did not understand their jobs and sometimes acted insubordinately, and that it was not driven by the White House.

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

big-ass sigh

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/km...re-2012-interview-with-president-obama_b90485

KMOV’s Larry Conners: IRS Issues Began Before 2012 Interview With President Obama

By Merrill Knox on May 15, 2013 10:12 AM

KMOV anchor Larry Conners, who claimed he was targeted by the IRS after he pressed President Obama on government spending during a 2012 interview, walked back his allegation on the St. Louis CBS affiliate’s 5 p.m. newscast Tuesday.

“First, I need to state those were my personal views, not those of KMOV-TV,” Conners said (video above). “Second, to be fair, I should disclose that my issues with the IRS preceded that interview by several years. As a journalist I understand the importance of keeping personal matters separate from my professional work — sometimes you have to do that retain your independence as a newsman. Those lines might have been unintentionally crossed yesterday by my [Facebook] post.”

#108 ROXTXIA, May 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
  9. bobmarley

Who cares what this guy said on Facebook.

He was just trying to jump on what already was going on. Forget him.

There are plenty of other groups that were wrongly improperly investigated to worry about what some news guy said on Facebook.

10. bobmarley

5 star post! You are the zenith of political thought in this country.

Nice straw man

11. cml750

cml750 Member

Why would anyone be surprised by things like this with this administration? This is truly a travesty!

12. bobmarley

So they are asking the acting commissioner to step down.

Except he isn't leaving until June.

Do you know what else is happening in June?
    His regular term of service was up.

Good job Obama! You can't even fire anyone right!

EDIT:

But in an email to IRS employees, Miller claimed he would only be leaving next month because his assignment would be over.

link to story

#112 bobmarley, May 15, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
  13. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

14. bobmarley

IRS exec got $42k in bonuses in three years

Lois Lerner, the senior executive in charge of the IRS tax exemption department and the federal employee at the center of the exploding scandal over the IRS targeting of conservative, evangelical and pro-Israel non-profits, was given $42,531 in bonuses between 2009 and 2011.

That figure was included in data provided by the IRS in response to a Freedom of Information Act request by The Washington Examiner. Lerner is director of the IRS exempt organizations division, which processes and approves or denies applications from groups seeking tax-exempt status.

Lerner received $17,220 for 2010, $14,691 for 2011 and $10,620 for 2012, the most recent year for which the IRS said data was available.

Her annual salary in 2009 and 2010 was $172,200, and $177,000 in 2011 and 2012. With the bonuses, Lerner was paid a total of $740,931 for the four-year period.

Lerner admitted last week that her agency had singled out conservative groups with words like "Tea Party" and "Patriot" in their names. Being singled out reportedly delayed resolution of their application for many months for most of the groups, while applications from liberals groups were typically processed in only a month or two.

Link

15. bobmarley

That's really funny considering this

Dem. Congressman Brings Baby Grandson to Holder Hearing
    link

mc mark, you never told me that your grandad was a congressman.

Makes since.
    [​IMG]

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Remember when rummy and wolfie got away with signing off on torture? Or Iran contra?

Plenty of middlemen to take the fall here.

17. bobmarley

18. cml750

cml750 Member

Lol!!! The response wheel is really hilarious. I can almost picture them using something like that given their ineptness. Like someone else pointed out in another post, it is sad that Obama apparently has no responsibility for anything in government but Seal Team 6.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Ignoring if the whitehouse had knowledge of this or not. It is absolutely awful.

1 person likes this.
  20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That made me chuckle. What's bible prophecy say about this stuff? I wanna know how it ends.